Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:06:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

George Romero's unfinished zombie novel, finished.

Started by magval, August 17, 2020, 04:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

The Living Dead, which Daniel Kraus has completed with Romero's permission, was released a few weeks ago. I don't want to take the plunge on such a massive book without hearing something about it first - anyone read it?

BlodwynPig

Not into zombies, but I would be interested in reading this.

bgmnts

I wonder if there is any social commentary in it.

magval

Why so Blodwyn? Big fan of There's Always Vanilla?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: magval on August 17, 2020, 07:39:53 PM
Why so Blodwyn? Big fan of There's Always Vanilla?

Apart from the early Zombie films, I don't like gore too much. That's why I've never watched There's Always Vanilla.

Annie Labuntur

Kryton

Thanks for the reminder, just downloaded this to my phone as I had a voucher.

The Mollusk

I hope as it's as good as his last few films!!!!

Kryton

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 18, 2020, 09:14:09 AM
I hope as it's as good as his last few films!!!!

I'm only a few chapters in - But it feels far more mature (if that's a word that can be used in regards to zombie fiction) than his last few films - But so far it's actually quite scary. Especially the scene in the morgue, I won't  spoil it for anyone. Some very memorable imagery. Jesus....

The characters don't seem like one-notes either and are so far quite varied and well... Human.

So far, much better than expected.

Kryton

Yup enjoying this so far. If anything there's a little bit TOO much detail, but probably par for the course when describing the undead. My particular favourite was the zombie peeling off his own face as he's trying to squeeze through chicken wire. Or the woman being eaten by her own kids.

Lovely stuff.

Kryton

It's very much like Romero's early work (the exploration of social breakdown and racial issues and such) but with an inclusion of contemporary issues too like BLM or social media vs the media or the dependence on technology - Concentrating on key characters - exploring things like autism, racial divides, the media, the government, trust. It's not for the faint of heart either. I've read a fair bit of fantasy and horror over the years, but this is something else.

I'm not too far in but I'm enjoying the prose. I genuinely have no idea which author wrote which bit.

BlodwynPig

Only a little way into this (John Doe and the morgue residents stir). It's bloody great fun. I guess this is what zombie movies are generally like for people who can watch them. Lovely.

Billy Casper

Big fan of Romero. Dawn Of The Dead and Martin are two of my favourite films. Had no idea about this book though so thanks for the heads up.

magval

This book is ace. It's massive entertainment and delicate personal drama, really nicely balanced. Plowed through the 650 pages in a couple sittings once I got started. GRISLY as fuck, too. But it takes the time to make sure you care about its characters and takes a few unexpected turns as it wends toward conclusion. The best zombie thing in years and years and years.

There's a piece at the end of the book which covers the co-authorship really well, too.

BlodwynPig

I'm on page 1300, but its the iPhone version.

Mostly loved it. First foray into zombie stuff for decades, given my aversion. Loved that the story ends up in a neighbourhood I got to love in the last few years.
Spoiler alert
I can imagine me, Ferris and QDRPHNC drinking moonshine with the softies.
[close]

ads82

Just wanted to add to the praise of this. I loved this book, a fitting end to the Romero legacy.

Reading this and enjoying it a lot but just came to a bit which was so bad it had me baffled by how it slipped by. I won't put in spoilers as it's minor but there is a short section where a female character is revealed to have a British background and we experience a short flashback. It is appalling.

The character, from Mansfield (sorry, Mansfield-on Sherwood), was a pro footballer 20 years ago earning great money which was lucky as she got injured and could pay for good treatment. What?

Also features dialogue containing the words 'blighter', 'certain as green apples', and 'bit o' sod'. 

Just odd.

BlodwynPig

petercussing

I had to strain my brains hard, but wasn't she one of the tar pit meeting ladies?

I found this to vary between being super good and not so good, but overall was decent enough and humans was the real monsters all along.

Quote from: petercussing on March 04, 2021, 02:49:02 PM
I had to strain my brains hard, but wasn't she one of the tar pit meeting ladies?

That's right.

petercussing

Hooray, my memory is not broken yet.

It was still less silly than World War Z's english bit.

Magnum Valentino

Doesn't World War Z have a section set in Armagh as well? If there's one thing American writers struggle with it's writing Irish, but NORTHERN Irish, forget about it.

Mister Six

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on March 04, 2021, 12:36:52 PM
The character, from Mansfield (sorry, Mansfield-on Sherwood), was a pro footballer 20 years ago earning great money which was lucky as she got injured and could pay for good treatment. What?

Bupa? Do they give better treatment or just swifter non-urgent treatment in a nicer environment?