Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:42:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ah shit, Mark Kozelek done a disgraced wank beast style rape-dozy

Started by Twit 2, August 17, 2020, 09:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 19, 2020, 10:12:02 AM
I always had them/ him down as a second rate American Music Club/ Mark Eitzel. Don't know if that's fair but fuck him anyway.

Eitzel was actually responsible for Kozelek's initial break, but I don't think they've had any sort of ongoing relationship since. Eitzel's on a different plane to Kozelek as a songwriter and performer, but the latter undoubtedly did create some beautiful records in his early years. Forever tainted now.

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 19, 2020, 10:12:02 AM
I always had them/ him down as a second rate American Music Club/ Mark Eitzel. Don't know if that's fair but fuck him anyway.

Me too. In fact I intended to say that on here earlier but forgot.

SteveDave

Daniel Kitson played a song of his/theirs on his show the other day and I quite liked it. Tis a pity he's a wankbeast.

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 18, 2020, 11:18:18 PM
I always think Carissa on Benji captures an awful lot about him. It's super touching and compassionate and shows real emotion for the figures involved, but he also barely knows them and is using their real life pain to fill in a narrative he's made up in his head, then he's directly throwing out shit like "I wonder which of you is responsible for her death?" that seems pretty callous. He's sensitive on a conceptual level, but doesn't give a shit about people very much beyond that is the general vibe I get.

There's another song on that album where he's at another family funeral and claims the whole family went into a "trance" when he picked up a guitar. Somehow found the image pretty hard to buy and it was a weird way of bringing the attention onto himself given the topic of the song. "the funeral was sad and all, but I fucking killed it with the live show afterwards"

He's built up such a huge reputation of being a colossal prick that he could probably uncancel himself with his fanbase via even the slightest of apologies or acknowledgments that he needs to grow a bit.

I love Benjii but get the exact same vibe. As you said there's a line in Carissa where he says something along the lines of "did one of her kids leave a flammable in the bin, if so they'll carry that guilt forever" which was almost amusing in how insensitive and judgemental it was. Also, after finding out that he didn't seem like too nice a guy, listening to it again gave me a huge impression of someone trying to emphasize "Im a really nice guy i swear, I'm super sensitive and emotional"...songs titled I Love my Dad and stuff.

The lyrics about Ariel Pink are one of the most cringe worthy and egotistical things I've ever heard: "me and Ariel Pink are amazing and much better and interesting than anyone else around"...and thats in a song called The Mark Kozelek Museum.

Cuellar

I must confess to finding the line about Carissa dying in a freak accident fire caused by burning rubbish which just happened to be the EXACT SAME way his uncle died pretty funny.

Dr Syntax Head