Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:58:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Laurel Canyon

Started by SteveDave, August 19, 2020, 10:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I watched both parts of this documentary last night and can highly recommend it even though it really, really thinks the Eagles are great.

It only used archive footage of the people being interviewed (apart from the photographers for some reason) which was nice because you didn't get to see how knackered their faces are now.

I never knew Steve Martin went out with Linda Ronstadt (even though I've read his book where he must've mentioned it).

Also, it turns out there's another Laurel Canyon based documentary (presented by Jakob Dylan) on the Netflix at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVFBQHBUls

Caution- Features Eric Clapton and a lot of knackered faces.

Neomod

I saw this at the weekend and enjoyed it, particularly because despite there being a few of those 'knackered faces' the majority was that lovely archival footage.

Could have done with 90% less Eagles though.

Oh and Linda Ronstadt was a bit of a minx in her youth.

That photographer guy turned up in the BBC From the Birds to the Eagles doc which covers similar ground.

poodlefaker

There was a BBC4 doc about Laurel Canyon a few years ago (apols if it's the one you're talking about here) from which one archive clip has stayed with me: it's a few seconds of Joni Mitchell dancing at a party in a flowery dress and bare feet, and she just looks like the embodiment of beauty and cool and confidence and talent, and there are all these longhaired guys with horrible beards and filthy jeans and leather waistcoats just standing round gawping at her, and it just seemed to illustrate something deep about the music biz

SteveDave

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 25, 2020, 08:47:21 AM
There was a BBC4 doc about Laurel Canyon a few years ago (apols if it's the one you're talking about here) from which one archive clip has stayed with me: it's a few seconds of Joni Mitchell dancing at a party in a flowery dress and bare feet, and she just looks like the embodiment of beauty and cool and confidence and talent, and there are all these longhaired guys with horrible beards and filthy jeans and leather waistcoats just standing round gawping at her, and it just seemed to illustrate something deep about the music biz

This one is "new" (I think) from HBO or one of those lads.