Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Neil Cicierega

Started by madhair60, August 19, 2020, 01:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Just getting around to the Mouth trilogy and goodness me, these are a fine example of music as comedy. Incredibly impressive production and they're genuinely funny. Anyone else like this stuff?

famethrowa

Yep, I think he's pretty great and a clever chap. I used to love those things he did with the dancing Colin Mochrie heads back in the internet dark ages, and here he is still doing good stuff.

spaghetamine

Neil is a real hero, Ultimate Showdown was one of the first flash animations I can remember watching on the internet. Seems like an insanely intelligent guy.

the

His name* seems to crop up from time to time, but I never know what the big deal is. Just seems to be adding to the 20-year mountain of slightly obnoxious pop mashups.

Is his USP that he edits them a tiny bit more and sometimes uses Rock Band multitracks?

* and fucking face which is seemingly important to him

The Mollusk

"Mouth Moods" is definitely the most accomplished album with the best replay value, for me. I remember when it came out, just losing my mind laughing at the audacity of it. Tiger is one of my favourites, keeps the mashup simple and flips the lyrics so it's about a guy hanging out with a tiger. Alarmingly funny. The dude has an impeccable ear for comedy gold.

Floor Corn probably had the biggest impact on me. Both songs are (arguably) pop bangers in their own right (I will forever be a nu-metal apologist, fuck you), but combined they are more powerful than I could have ever imagined. Fucking huge tune.

spaghetamine

PlanktonSideburns

did he do that

WORKIN AS A WAITRES
IN A COCKTAIL BAAAAAAR

Bernice

He's great, I can't really think of other examples of musical comedy that hit the same spot. It's something to do with the audacity/obnoxiousness combined with a genuine ear for the musical that just puts a massive grin on my face.

Special affection for the cornucopia of snipped up low culture fagends that is Annoyed Grunt and the fuck it kitchen sink approach of Shit

I saw a good YouTube comment which described his music as an aliens attempt at a racist caricature of human culture, which seems as good a mission statement as any

All Surrogate

I'm a fan.

Like many, I first became aware of him through

Brodyquest.

Favourites:

Redesign Your Logo

Two Trucks

Mouth, which has a funny video.

Reagonomics, which has a cracking video.

Not a music video, just "some Harry Potter fan art".

Also not a music video, this is a "Guide to the Races of Star Wars", which is hilarious, as are all of his "Guide" videos, the most recent being the "Guide to Tom Hanks".

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I have been listening to nothing but these three albums for the last week, they're amazing. I don't think I can get that Wonderwall/You spin me right round mashup out if my head by any method other than blowing my brains out with a big gun. This is all very very stupid but amazingly good shit. Like others here I was aware of the guy from the early days of the flash cartoon underground (and my sisters sharing Potter Puppet Pals videos) so it's nice to see he's still doing stuff

Retinend

Quote from: All Surrogate on August 20, 2020, 05:57:26 PM

Also not a music video, this is a "Guide to the Races of Star Wars", which is hilarious, as are all of his "Guide" videos, the most recent being the "Guide to Tom Hanks".

I had already seen it once but it had me rolling all over again 😂😂😂

"The Megryans"

hummingofevil

Colin Mochrie once played me in an improv musical.  Josie Lawrence serenading him with "Jonathan,Jonathan, Jonathan...." That has to be my life highlight right?

Retinend

Quote from: All Surrogate on August 20, 2020, 05:57:26 PM

Reagonomics, which has a cracking video.

Everyone listen to the very similar "Healing" by Todd Rundgren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHwneXcS3Mc

Glebe

Stoneage Dinosaurs

The Mollusk

madhair60

The download links are down and I want to die

brat-sampson

Mega alternative links available from this tweet

It's gooood.

Bernice

This has me creasing at work. It's a good job work is my living room these days.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Fucking hell. That was everything I was hoping for and more

The
Spoiler alert
Spongebob/Queen
[close]
one and the
Spoiler alert
That's Amore
[close]
one had me gasping for air

Tikwid

Spoiler alert
Some genius moments in this - those classic musical puns and lyric rearrangements still finding fresh purchase with new subject matter, and there were moments where idiotic grins spread across my face barely seconds in as I realised what Neil was doing (cf Spongerock, The Outsiders, Pee Wee Inc). However I felt in its totality it wasn't quite as cohesive as Silence or Moods, possibly because of the lack of a truly bonkers megamix or single word themed extravaganza - only Ribs, Fredhammer/Limp Wicket and maybe Wah come close to the potpourris of Piss, Shit or Annoyed Grunt. And the symphonic turns of Brithoven and Ain't seemed like afterthoughts, redundant after the very conclusive-sounding Mouth Dreams (Extro). But on the whole still an amazing entry to the series and one I'm sure I'll listen to many times to come.
Spoiler alert
bells
[close]
[close]

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Yeah I don't think anything will top Mouth Moods but it's definitely up there with the others.