Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,476
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:04:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How Many Of Youse Have Had The Test?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, August 20, 2020, 01:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I had it on Monday, it's fucking uncomfortable. Two big stabbing sticks shoved up each nostril. I actually emitted a couple of wussy " Ahh!"s as each swabstick made their way up there, and got twirled around. No fun at all.It don't 'alf make your eyes water.

....and to add insult to injury, my test results were positive! >:-(

Nah, not really.

Fr.Bigley

imitationleather

Chedney Honks

Yep, several times. You kind of get used to it and get a bit cocky about how far you can shove it up your nose. Actually a lot further than you might think but please be careful. I have a pretty big nose.

Bazooka

No but when I go back to China hopefully next month, I will have to of course, then the Chinese custom test, they hammer swabs right deep in your nasal passage and have a right good wriggle.

They then ask you if you have eaten any wild animals in the last two weeks, no joke.

Dr Rock

I'll be having em next month before I have a hospital treatment a week later. They can't test if you've had it in the past, right?

SpiderChrist

Mine was negative but is now positive thanks to an algorithm.

flotemysost

Quote from: SpiderChrist on August 20, 2020, 07:13:01 PM
Mine was negative but is now positive thanks to an algorithm.

Ha.

Yep, did the home test a few weeks ago (there's another thread here about self testing).

The swabbing was fine but I was a bit surprised by how fiddly all the registration etc. stuff was. And the fact that you (seemingly) need to be registered to vote at the address the kit is delivered to is surely going to be a massive hindrance for loads of people.

sambwel

I've had it. I'm in Australia though, where instead of home tests we have a functioning public health system.

C_Larence

Did a home test a couple of weeks ago. I'd not heard anyone mention that you had to do the tonsils too so that was a surprise. I'm pretty sure I did it all wrong, as it warns against letting the swab touch the tongue but i did that multiple times because it's impossible not to.

Tombola

Quote from: C_Larence on August 21, 2020, 04:58:52 AM
Did a home test a couple of weeks ago. I'd not heard anyone mention that you had to do the tonsils too so that was a surprise. I'm pretty sure I did it all wrong, as it warns against letting the swab touch the tongue but i did that multiple times because it's impossible not to.

Likewise. I expected it to be uncomfortable but I didn't expect the torrent of drool and tears. Glad no-one witnessed this shambles.

Cuellar

Sounds brilliant. Would love to give this a go.

Beagle 2

I've had it, although not when I'm convinced I had it as they weren't available. Just a nasty cough this time. Negged. It's fucking horrible and I was nearly sick. I need some extra spice for this brilliant anecdote if anybody has any suggestions.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 21, 2020, 12:50:41 PM
I need some extra spice for this brilliant anecdote if anybody has any suggestions.

"turns out, the nasty cough was metastatic lung cancer....go figure"

There you go.

flotemysost

Quote from: Tombola on August 21, 2020, 12:31:39 PM
Likewise. I expected it to be uncomfortable but I didn't expect the torrent of drool and tears. Glad no-one witnessed this shambles.

As I mentioned in the other testing thread, I overslept on the day I was supposed to take it (a Saturday morning - because of the test confusingly arriving in unmarked Amazon packaging, I didn't realise what it was until it was too late to make the last Friday collection. I just assumed it was something my flatmate had ordered from Amazon) and so on the Saturday I ended up legging it to the post box in my pyjamas, face streaked with spit and tears, brandishing a biohazard bag. Oddly liberating.

Bazooka

Quote from: C_Larence on August 21, 2020, 04:58:52 AM

I was daydreaming in my virology classes in primary school, but surely this virus is detectable in saliva from anywhere in the mouth or semen?

flotemysost

I've definitely read somewhere that the virus is unlikely to be transmitted through semen (it's just all the other stuff that normally goes alongside semen transmission that makes it a no-go at the moment).

badaids

I had it and it turns out I'm still HIV positive.

Fambo Number Mive

Attila

If they can successfully test a swab off my tonsils, we've got more to worry about than covid, as my tonsils were whipped out in 1971 and presumably thrown in a bin somewhere in Wilmington, Delaware.

Also,just noticed that there is a little slice of cake next to my profile info today :3

olliebean

Quote from: Attila on September 13, 2020, 04:57:08 PM
If they can successfully test a swab off my tonsils, we've got more to worry about than covid, as my tonsils were whipped out in 1971 and presumably thrown in a bin somewhere in Wilmington, Delaware.

Have you checked recently? It's not that uncommon for them to grow back.

peanutbutter

Had a friend complaining about the nose but sure it was nothing??
Rubbing  a swab against your tonsils for 10 seconds, on the other hand...

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

The nasal swab should feel like you're trying touch your brain and the tonsil swab should make you gag*, otherwise they are pointless.

*Unless it's your mum

Dr Rock

Attila

Quote from: olliebean on September 13, 2020, 05:00:41 PM
Have you checked recently? It's not that uncommon for them to grow back.

Yep -- when I was at the dentist's last -- cos we got to chatting about the tests and that.

Not only are they gone, but their legacy is the scarring the hack of a doctor left behind: every time I get a cold, I get a wickedly sore throat from the burn from post-nasal drip against the scars which then become inflamed. (Orange juice both soothes this, and alerts me to the entire path of the scar tissue). The gift that keeps on giving.

(Had them out at a time when tonsils & adenoids were the surgery du jour; apparently because I had a single bad ear infection as a tiny tot, the family doctor managed to scare my mom into booking me in for an assembly-line tonseillectomy. Last time I was at my mom's house, I actually found the receipt for the surgery and hospital stay; she'd kept it in a scrapbook/baby book. Cost like $25 after insurance -- would have been around $150 without in 1971 dollars).