Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favorite Movies of 1971?

Started by MortSahlFan, August 20, 2020, 07:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Harold and Maude
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
A Clockwork Orange
Thartharah fawq al-Nil
Le Chat
La classe operaia va in paradiso
Made For Each Other
Johnny Got His Gun
Morte a Venezia
Straw Dogs
Whity
Utvandrarna
Minnie and Moskowitz
10 Rillington Place
Play Misty For Me
The Beguiled
Dirty Harry
Sacco e Vanzetti
Brian's Song
T.R. Baskin
Le souffle au coeur
Quatre nuits d'un rêveur
The Night Digger
Family Life
The Panic in Needle Park
Going Home
The Last Picture Show

Documentaries
Pier Paolo Pasolini: A Film Maker's Life
Directed by John Ford

Puce Moment

One of the best!

Wake in Fright
The Devils
The Decameron
Crash!
Duel
THX 1138
Walkabout
Duck, You Sucker

Dr Rock

Most already mentioned, so I'll add

Get Carter
Duel
The Abominable Dr. Phibes

chveik

Out 1
A Touch of Zen
Land of Silence and Darkness
The Ceremony
Two-Lane Blacktop
Klute
The Go-Between
Trial on the Road
The Cat o' Nine Tails
The Third Part of the Night
Daughters of Darkness
Lizard in a Woman's Skin

rue the polywhirl

The Devils
Vanishing Point
Walkabout
Fiddler On The Roof
Shaft
Dirty Harry
A Clockwork Orange
Carry On Henry
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
Bedknobs And Broomsticks

Bad Ambassador

10.   Duel.
9.   Vanishing Point.
8.   Escape from the Planet of the Apes.
7.   The Andromeda Strain.
6.   Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
5.   THX 1138.
4.   A Clockwork Orange.
3.   Walkabout.
2.   Get Carter.
1.   The Devils.

prwc

As usual I'll stick to ones already mentioned though I will note Two-Lane Blacktop is a contender for my favourite ever film.

Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets
Shura
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
Emperor Tomato Ketchup
If Footmen Tire You What Will Horses Do?
WR: Mysteries of the Organism
Goodbye Uncle Tom
A Bay of Blood
Punishment Park
They Have Changed Faces
Malpertuis
Little Murders
The Last Movie
Twins Of Evil
The Velvet Vampire

zomgmouse

Punishment Park
Wake in Fright
Straw Dogs
The Last Picture Show
A Clockwork Orange
Klute
W.R. Mysteries of the Organism
10 Rillington Place
A New Leaf
Walkabout
Harold and Maude
Get Carter

GoblinAhFuckScary

EOLAN

Carry On Henry
Carry On At Your Convenience

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: EOLAN on August 21, 2020, 10:59:55 AM
Carry On Henry

Beat me to it.

And Now for Something Completely Different
Bananas
Carry On Henry
A Clockwork Orange
The Devils
Duel
Escape from the Planet of the Apes
The French Connection
Get Carter
Harold and Maude
The Last Picture Show
Macbeth
The Omega Man
Straw Dogs
10 Rillington Place
Walkabout
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

wosl

Quote from: chveik on August 20, 2020, 07:44:54 PM
Out 1

Rivette's great, but both versions of Out 1 are a chore to sit through, especially the long(er) bastard (those interminable theatre group exercises!), and I'd always opt for one of his others to settle down with (Celine et Julie, Gang of Four, L'Amour par terre, Duelle.  L'Amour Fou looks as though it could fit the bill as well, but I've held off watching one of the wobbly-looking transferred-from-worn-tape versions kicking around and am waiting for the likes of Arrow or Criterion to roll out the proper treatment for this).

Dr Rock

sirhenry

Quote from: EOLAN on August 21, 2020, 10:59:55 AM
Carry On Henry
If you insist...

Harold and Maude

My all-time favourite film; it saved my life a couple of times. I watched it again a year or so ago for the nth time and it no longer holds quite the sheer life-affirming joy that it used to. But I blame myself for that, rather than the film. And it did inspire me to get a copy of Hal, the wonderful documentary about Hal Ashby, an iconic example of the maverick film director of the early 70's.

And as Dr. Rock says, Straw Dogs is shit. Though it did inspire the wonderful, but sadly erroneous, word Dorsetploitation.

peanutbutter

Quote from: wosl on August 21, 2020, 05:47:35 PM
Rivette's great, but both versions of Out 1 are a chore to sit through, especially the long(er) bastard (those interminable theatre group exercises!)
I watched it all in one mad marathon screening a couple of years ago in a super comfortable cinema with no breaks other than the built in recaps. I will say it almost seemed like he deliberately made the first three hours or so a huge chore to sit through but it had the side effect of making the rest feel quite zippy.
Have only read one and half Pynchon books, but I'd say it's the film that comes closest to capturing what I assume is "Pynchonesque"

Is there an order to these list threads? Working backwards from 1979?

MortSahlFan

Quote from: sirhenry on August 22, 2020, 07:03:45 PM
If you insist...

Harold and Maude

My all-time favourite film; it saved my life a couple of times. I watched it again a year or so ago for the nth time and it no longer holds quite the sheer life-affirming joy that it used to. But I blame myself for that, rather than the film. And it did inspire me to get a copy of Hal, the wonderful documentary about Hal Ashby, an iconic example of the maverick film director of the early 70's.

And as Dr. Rock says, Straw Dogs is shit. Though it did inspire the wonderful, but sadly erroneous, word Dorsetploitation.

I've noticed (and now to avoid) watching a movie too many times.. I've seen "Harold and Maude" at least a handful of times myself. One of my favorites.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 22, 2020, 07:55:39 PM

Is there an order to these list threads? Working backwards from 1979?
Yes

chveik

Quote from: wosl on August 21, 2020, 05:47:35 PM
Rivette's great, but both versions of Out 1 are a chore to sit through, especially the long(er) bastard (those interminable theatre group exercises!), and I'd always opt for one of his others to settle down with (Celine et Julie, Gang of Four, L'Amour par terre, Duelle.  L'Amour Fou looks as though it could fit the bill as well, but I've held off watching one of the wobbly-looking transferred-from-worn-tape versions kicking around and am waiting for the likes of Arrow or Criterion to roll out the proper treatment for this).

L'amour fou is great. I have no idea if there ever will be a proper release so you might as well watch it in the current version, it didn't bother me that much.

wosl

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 22, 2020, 07:55:39 PM
I watched it all in one mad marathon screening a couple of years ago in a super comfortable cinema with no breaks other than the built in recaps. I will say it almost seemed like he deliberately made the first three hours or so a huge chore to sit through but it had the side effect of making the rest feel quite zippy.

That appeals: treating it as a sort of endurance art event (the Le Harve Cultural Centre premier screening of the long version would've been the prime place and time to 'submit' to it).

Another one to add to this year's list: Szindbad (Zoltan Huszarik) - just one of the most lushly composed and photographed films I know of; some absolutely gorgeous passages in this, with a use of rich and vivid colour and attention to texture that verges on the toothsome.

peanutbutter

Quote from: wosl on August 24, 2020, 08:13:42 PM
That appeals: treating it as a sort of endurance art event (the Le Harve Cultural Centre premier screening of the long version would've been the prime place and time to 'submit' to it).
Yeah for sure, I see it shown over several nights occasionally and that sounds horrific to me. "I've worked all day, now I'm gonna spend all evening watching this neverending art film thing, for the fourth consecutive night...". I went to a Berlin Alexanderplatz marathon a few months ago, two day split but I couldn't motivate myself to see day 2. See Satantango spread across three nights occasionally too, how could anyone deal with that? What would motivate you to come back on night 2, knowing there's still a third night...

Out 1 also looked like a good film nerd couples thing too tbh, there were a few and you'd see one dash out then you'd see them huddled together getting a quick catch up. This really was the PERFECT cinema screen to watch something like this though, spacious as fuck, comfy as fuck. Nice sleepy brown vibe to the room (I'd find one of those pitch black Odeon Luxe type screenings a bit uncomfortably oppressive over that duration)

If I ever got into bondage it'd be for film watching purposes tbh. Tie me up and stick a Lav Diaz film on, it's the only way I'm ever gonna pay attention to the fucker of a thing.