Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dele Fedele RIP

Started by anxiousmofo, August 20, 2020, 11:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anxiousmofo

Gorn a couple of years ago apparently.

Part of the mid 80s onward NME lot (Swells, Jack Barron, Quantick) that fought bravely against the rising Reynolds/Stubbs/Roberts/Wilde MM tide before the clowns in long-sleeved T's (Collins/Lamacq) Indie-d the place up.

Got on one a la Helen Mead/Barron during the second summer of love, bless.

Thought that name rang a bell. I seem to remember enjoying his writing. RIP

Dr Rock

Oh shit. I used to know him pretty well. RIP Dele.

NoSleep

I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't seen him in years but I've known him since before he wrote for NME. Was a big fan of Throbbing Gristle. RIP Dele.

It's "Fadele", BTW, OP.

BlodwynPig

Phil Colons

One of the better NME journo's. His band, Welfare Heroin were pretty decent.

NoSleep

Quote from: Phil Colons on August 21, 2020, 10:22:28 AM
His band, Welfare Heroin were pretty decent.

I forgot to mention that I had recorded them (at Cold Storage). I was in touch with their bass player (Mikey) recently.

Custard

It used to be funny that whenever a black artist was reviewed, the NME would ask Fadele to do it. I like to think they had a signal they shot in the sky, like Batman

He was a good writer, one of the better ones for sure. RIP

Brundle-Fly

Had a drink with Fadele once at a gig at Dingwalls in Camden in the mid-nineties. Broadcast I think.  Nice bloke, bought me several pints. I remember him explaining why A&R men were called 'blue faces'. Something to do with the band being always able to spot them lurking in the venue. They would be the men in the shadows by the bar, constantly talking into their phones that lit up their faces with a blue hue.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 21, 2020, 03:18:58 PM
Had a drink with Fadele once at a gig at Dingwalls in Camden in the mid-nineties. Broadcast I think.  Nice bloke, bought me several pints. I remember him explaining why A&R men were called 'blue faces'. Something to do with the band being always able to spot them lurking in the venue. They would be the men in the shadows by the bar, constantly talking into their phones that lit up their faces with a blue hue.

Mobile phones? In the early 90s? ;)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 21, 2020, 06:12:02 PM
Mobile phones? In the early 90s? ;)

Mobile phones have been around since the eighties, Blod. This conversation took place in 1997 if it was a Broadcast gig. Nokia phones with glowing screens were popular at that time.

smudge1971

Never saw Dele buy anyone a pint. The lad was always skint and only ever came out of his cove when he needed a drink or company.

SweetPomPoms

Liked his writing, not a twat during a time when a lot of the NME/MM types were.
Saw Welfare Heroine at an early 90s Reading cos of their Sarstedt cover. Didn't play it. Odd that it's suddenly news.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: smudge1971 on August 21, 2020, 07:53:38 PM
Never saw Dele buy anyone a pint. The lad was always skint and only ever came out of his cove when he needed a drink or company.

Must've caught him on an off day.

Tbf the idea of a music journo generously buying pints for a someone at a gig strikes me as a pure fantasy.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 21, 2020, 09:07:26 PM
Tbf the idea of a music journo generously buying pints for a someone at a gig strikes me as a pure fantasy.

Nah, my friend got drunk with johnny Cigarettes (a terrible writer) at some gig once. I guess it could be quite a miserable lonely life at times, having to turn up to some shitty town and listen to rubbish music on your own. If someone seemed ok I imagine I'd buy them a pint, especially if there were expenses (I dunno if that's laughable or not).

PaulTMA

All of those fucking awful 90s MM journos with their shit podcast, jesus wept what do you see in those obvious dickheads

Brundle-Fly

Yes, tbf I've been dining out on this lie for the best part of a quarter of a century now that a fairly obscure music journalist bought me a couple of pints in some Camden dive. Busted.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 22, 2020, 12:34:19 AM
All of those fucking awful 90s MM journos with their shit podcast, jesus wept what do you see in those obvious dickheads

You.

Jockice

Oi! I'd stand my round you know. Although you'd get the occasional twat who'd say 'you can get this all on expenses, can't you?' and push their luck. You know, suddenly in the pub you're surrounded by strangers all expecting you to get them in to that night's gig for nowt and buy them all their drinks. Do fuck off. It was one of the things I hated (and lest we forget I did it on a pretty minor, mostly local scale) the amount of people who were all friendly just because they wanted something from you. Some of them didn't even try to hide it.

But it seems to be a common misapprehension that music journalists (and journalists in general) are all loaded and have all their needs met. The only time I ever met Steve Lamacq he'd travelled up to Sheffield to see a gig but although the NME had paid his train fare they hadn't provided him with enough to stay anywhere, so he was looking for a bedroom he could borrow. I felt so sorry for him I nearly said he could stay at my mum and dad's but luckily I lost him before the end of the night. Haven't a clue where he stayed but he did say he'd spent many a night in train stations.

Jockice

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 21, 2020, 08:51:36 AM
I think the first and only NME live review I ever read

https://eyesore.no/pdf/Lush.Review.NME.19901103.pdf

A former radio journalist friend of mine hates Lush to this day because he happened to interview them on a day when there had been a huge row between the band members beforehand (nothing to do with him) and in the studio all four members sat as far away from each other as possible refusing to answer questions and making snidey comments about each other. Down to earth and friendly indeed. Although I once did a phone interview with Miki and despite waking her up she was very nice to me.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on August 22, 2020, 09:44:55 AM

But it seems to be a common misapprehension that music journalists (and journalists in general) are all loaded and have all their needs met. The only time I ever met Steve Lamacq he'd travelled up to Sheffield to see a gig but although the NME had paid his train fare they hadn't provided him with enough to stay anywhere, so he was looking for a bedroom he could borrow. I felt so sorry for him I nearly said he could stay at my mum and dad's but luckily I lost him before the end of the night. Haven't a clue where he stayed but he did say he'd spent many a night in train stations.

Way back in the nineties, my ex-gf and her mates once went round Steve's flat to relax after a gig (nothing iffy, Lammo is a gentleman). She asked if he had any food in the place, he looked embarrassed as he opened the small fridge door to reveal a solitary hard-boiled egg and one Kwik Save choc-ice in the freezer section. "I'm hardly ever here."

The Mollusk

I can't stand Lamacq so I will shamefully confess that these tales of him having a less-than-good time many years ago have tickled me today. I am a dreadful human being.

NoSleep

I was surprised to find that it has only now been discovered that Dele died two years ago. Still no idea how or under what circumstances.

Dr Rock

I have two nice memories of Dele. Once I was DJing at The Underworld, and he said I just had to play this awesome new record he had. I'm usually wary about such situation, but I said ok. It was Lydon & Leftfield's Open Up, and it blew everything else away.

Another nice memory is me, my wife at the time and Dele having a good old dance at the side of the Reading stage when Public Enemy was on.

Jockice

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 22, 2020, 11:22:07 AM
I can't stand Lamacq so I will shamefully confess that these tales of him having a less-than-good time many years ago have tickled me today. I am a dreadful human being.

Well then you'll no doubt be pleased to hear that this gig (World Of Twist/Pulp at the Leadmill) took place on a cold rainy night in March.

The Mollusk

Hahaha yesss. Eat it, Lamacq. Feel it.

Jockice

Quote from: NoSleep on August 22, 2020, 12:27:27 PM
I was surprised to find that it has only now been discovered that Dele died two years ago. Still no idea how or under what circumstances.

It happens though. I started a thread on the main board not long ago about an acquaintance of mine who died three years ago without anyone noticing. I was never big mates with him but he knew loads of other people and none of them knew he'd died either until someone decided to check where he was.

I think given the wrong circumstances any of us could end up like that woman (Joyce something?) who died in her flat and nobody realised for years. And on that optimistic note, sweet dreams everyone.

Jockice

How did you pronounce his name anyway? There's a bit of a Depeche Mode/Bowie thing going on with his first name AND surname. Most confusing.

NoSleep

It's "Dell-ay" for his first name. I don't think I knew his surname until I saw it in the NME. I just made it rhyme with his first name.