Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dele Fedele RIP

Started by anxiousmofo, August 20, 2020, 11:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Yeah it's Delly Fuh-Delly.

The Mollusk

kngen

Even though he only gave Bad Brains' I Against I 6 out of 10 (to be fair, it is a slow burner), he was still one of my favourite writers at the NME. What a shame. RIP.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 21, 2020, 09:07:26 PM
Tbf the idea of a music journo generously buying pints for a someone at a gig strikes me as a pure fantasy.

Not if they're getting a freebie from a record label or PR firm. Mid-to-late 90s would still be in the golden period when A&R/publicity types would lure hacks to gigs with the promise of a free tab so they could tell the band: 'There's someone from the [insert name of prestigious publication] here' and look like they're doing their job. I even got a couple of overseas trips out of such a thing (with only the vague promise that I might write something about the band at some point later on.)

Nowadays, you don't even get sent promo copies of CDs (which you can sell to R&TE) as they just send you links to download the album instead.  Shit business.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Jockice on August 22, 2020, 09:39:48 PM
It happens though. I started a thread on the main board not long ago about an acquaintance of mine who died three years ago without anyone noticing. I was never big mates with him but he knew loads of other people and none of them knew he'd died either until someone decided to check where he was.

I think given the wrong circumstances any of us could end up like that woman (Joyce something?) who died in her flat and nobody realised for years. And on that optimistic note, sweet dreams everyone.

I don't think *no-one* noticed Dele Fadele dying. At least, I don't think that's what's being said. Just that he didn't get the usual obituaries you'd expect. Not like poor Joyce Vincent.

Seems he died of stomach cancer in 2018: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/sep/14/dele-fadele-remembered-nme

Pingers

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 22, 2020, 12:20:12 AM
Nah, my friend got drunk with johnny Cigarettes (a terrible writer) at some gig once. I guess it could be quite a miserable lonely life at times, having to turn up to some shitty town and listen to rubbish music on your own. If someone seemed ok I imagine I'd buy them a pint, especially if there were expenses (I dunno if that's laughable or not).

Steven Wells took me and my mate to Pizza Express on NME expenses, which I found quite disappointingly bourgeois if I'm honest. Mind you, I was [even more of] a twat then, so I'm not one to talk.

Hundhoon

i met him once in 2008 at long gone Boarders Bookshop in Oxford Circus.

why has it taken 2 years to figure out he died. he seemed to be once of the biggest music journalists about 10-15 years ago. as late as 2010. i think he had alcohol problems but 2 years is a bit nuts.