Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:30:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

HDMI audio out to USB-C audio in.

Started by Chedney Honks, August 21, 2020, 09:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I wonder if this is possible?

I want to output HDMI audio from my Blu Ray player (which sends AV to the telly and separate audio elsewhere, if possible) to USB-C input on my Audeze Mobius headphones, for the most direct, highest quality connection.

I'm struggling to find anything which will do the job without extracting the HDMI signal and transferring via AUX. That seems pointless because I can already connect to the TV line out via AUX.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sebastian Cobb

Are they wired-only? You can deffo get hdmi audio->blutooth.

It looks like your headphones are 'multi-channel gaming headphones' is the audio over bluetooth making them appear as a separate sound interface on your computer? If so then it's unlikely there's a magic box that can digitally connect the two.

Chedney Honks

First up, thanks for the reply!

The BT connection works great but I prefer wired to eke out the extra quality. I use USB audio output on the PS4 and Switch, but it's only plain 2ch. Still much better than AUX.

Via my phone, Samsung S20, I can use USB-C male-to-male for hi-res audio (up to 192khz) and play Tidal Masters, etc. They sound pretty spectacular with that level of source. Hi-res LDAC BT is also really good.

I'm playing BD through my player, though. If I played them through a computer, I would definitely be able to get USB audio out to the USB-C input but my laptop is shit, DVD-only, and I'm not inclined to get another because I have a work laptop which follows me around all day.

I've seen plenty of USB-C to HDMI cables to project phone display to a telly or whatever, but they seem to be one-way cables. I can find anything which carries HDMI audio out to USB-C in.

buzby

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 21, 2020, 10:11:05 PM
I've seen plenty of USB-C to HDMI cables to project phone display to a telly or whatever, but they seem to be one-way cables. I can find anything which carries HDMI audio out to USB-C in.
That's because USB-C has the option to envelope the DisplayPort protocol, so IC manifacturers have made chipsets that can reassemble the DisplayPort datastream and output it over HDMI. These are what is insode those USB to HDMI adapters.

It's a one way street, however. and as I suspect your headphones probably don't support HDMI  (or even DisplayPort) streaming data as a direct  input, some conversion would be required to extract the HDMI audio streams and transcode them as a USB Audio-compatible data stream (though to do this would violate the HDCP DRM that is carried in the DisplayPort and HDMI protocols).

Notwithstanding the HDCP issue, this is such a niche application I very much doubt anybody has bothered to create a chipset to do it, which is why you can't find an adapter or 'Active' cable that does it. The nearest thing to it is probably a video capture interface