Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Back2Skool2Die

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 22, 2020, 12:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Guardian:

QuoteCoronavirus cases have been reported by at least 41 schools in Berlin, barely two weeks after the German capital's 825 schools reopened.

This is going to be a bad idea isn't it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Isn't Keith, our supposed opposition leader pushing for this asap?

I vaguely recall 'no ifs, not buts', but I think that's just because he can't make an announcement without including that phrase.

olliebean

If you look at all the actual research rather than just what's been cherry-picked by the government to support their policies, there's no strong evidence that children of any age aren't just as likely to transmit the virus as anyone else; and considering that's what they do with pretty much any other similar virus that's hanging around, it seems perverse to assume it wouldn't be the case with this one. Also apparently they're most contagious in the first couple of days after catching it, i.e., before they start to show any symptoms, so plenty of time to spread it about before anyone knows they have it.

As things stand at the moment, my housemate is coming back very soon from a 5 month visit with her parents, and going back to work as a schoolteacher shortly thereafter, which makes it pretty much locked in that she, and then I, will get this fucker sooner or later.

I saw some columnist or other suggesting that the only reason Gavin Williamson still has his job after the exam grades debacle is so he can take the fall when they U-Turn on schools re-opening, so that's my only hope at the moment. But I think it's more likely he's just got too much dirt on important people, as implied by that bizarre picture with the whip in the foreground with the orange notebook quite deliberately placed on top of it.

finnquark

I don't see how we will be open as normal for more than 2 weeks given the guidelines.

QDRPHNC

They've pushed back school openings here until September 15th. Parents have a choice between sending their kids in or doing online learned. The school board seems to be in utter disarray.

katzenjammer

Haven't Scottish schools been back since 10th August?

Blinder Data

What is the alternative to getting kids back to school though? Some families coped with homeschooling and Zooming during lockdown but many didn't (i.e. the poor ones). We can't simply keep kids indoors and away from peers until there's a vaccine - the damage to their wellbeing (and that of their parents) would be massive.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We can if the vaccines only a few months away. (I know it's not that easy but as a judgement call that seems reasonable if there was a very realistic chance of success with the vaccine)

Blinder Data

If the government allows pubs and restaurants to open, they can do the same for schools.

Or they can close the former to open the latter. It's a question of priorities.

phes

Why not just have schools open in pubs, to help out like

It's always been the case that you get bugs and colds during the first term of school. There's even the infamous Fresher's Flu that you get when you start Uni. The government have backed themselves into a corner here, and the results could be catastrophic. Mainly because a strategy for dealing with outbreaks of Covid in schools will have to happen on the fly, and it will be up to the schools themselves and the local authorities.

finnquark

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 27, 2020, 10:17:37 PM
What is the alternative to getting kids back to school though? Some families coped with homeschooling and Zooming during lockdown but many didn't (i.e. the poor ones). We can't simply keep kids indoors and away from peers until there's a vaccine - the damage to their wellbeing (and that of their parents) would be massive.

Completely agree with this. I've got meetings with each of my returning U6th students starting on Tuesday, before teaching starts, and I know that there are numerous students who have really struggled during the lockdown period. Lack of technology (despite the govt claims of assistance), caring responsibilities, anxiety/depression/other mental health issues, etc. Young people definitely need to return to school and college whenever possible.

But practically, there is likely to be a significant period of disrupted schooling for the forseeable, even taking all the precautions that are advised. If a student tests positive, any member of a class they have been in over the last 48 hours (students and staff) have to isolate at home for 14 days. Being that the students are post-GCSE, they don't have the same range of classes as younger students; however, one positive test will see 75-100 students have to isolate. In addition, if I isolate for 14 days, my other classes will be taught remotely because we don't have staffing that allows cover in these situations. I don't know whether primary and secondary pupils will be subject to the same protocols, but if they are then this obviously causes annoying disruption for parents and guardians who are returning to work. So young people may be returning to school, but how long and how consistently they will be returning is pretty up in the air.

Zetetic

And there will be a fair number of false positives even if COVID-19 isn't circulating.

(Doubly so if flu picks up.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: finnquark on August 28, 2020, 10:45:15 AM
Completely agree with this. I've got meetings with each of my returning U6th students starting on Tuesday, before teaching starts, and I know that there are numerous students who have really struggled during the lockdown period. Lack of technology (despite the govt claims of assistance), caring responsibilities, anxiety/depression/other mental health issues, etc. Young people definitely need to return to school and college whenever possible.

Upper sixth strike me as the least urgent given they are practically adults, so more likely to be badly affected by corona and should be old enough to look after themselves in a way younger students are not. Plus they'll be in a very similar position in a year's time when they're out of college.

MojoJojo

Quote from: finnquark on August 28, 2020, 10:45:15 AM
But practically, there is likely to be a significant period of disrupted schooling for the forseeable, even taking all the precautions that are advised. If a student tests positive, any member of a class they have been in over the last 48 hours (students and staff) have to isolate at home for 14 days.

Is there any mechanism for bulk testing of classes i.e. after a positive test in a school, testing everyone in their classes so they can return after a few days rather than weeks. It feels like something that should have been set up but hasn't (although I have no idea of the real practicalities of this).

finnquark

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 28, 2020, 11:47:53 AM
Is there any mechanism for bulk testing of classes i.e. after a positive test in a school, testing everyone in their classes so they can return after a few days rather than weeks. It feels like something that should have been set up but hasn't (although I have no idea of the real practicalities of this).

Not that I'm aware of, or if there is it hasn't been announced yet. But I did read that each school in England had received 10 testing kits recently. Every little helps.

'All schools and FE providers will receive an initial supply of 10 home test kits.

Home test kits should only be offered if you believe an individual may be unable to access testing elsewhere.'

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-home-test-kits-for-schools-and-fe-providers

BlodwynPig

... funny you should mention it. Got a meeting with big gubnment about this in an hour. All top secret though.

olliebean

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 28, 2020, 10:33:09 AM
It's always been the case that you get bugs and colds during the first term of school. There's even the infamous Fresher's Flu that you get when you start Uni. The government have backed themselves into a corner here, and the results could be catastrophic. Mainly because a strategy for dealing with outbreaks of Covid in schools will have to happen on the fly, and it will be up to the schools themselves and the local authorities.

They're going to be entirely reactive, I reckon. Wait until the outbreaks happen rather than try to avoid them. And probably, as you say, leaving it up to schools and local government to deal with (so that schools and local government can be blamed afterwards). Meanwhile apparently there's going to be a stepping up of instructing people they should get back into work at the same time, so maximum opportunity for the virus to spread back and forth between workplaces and schools, then.

Zetetic

Quote from: finnquark on August 28, 2020, 11:55:07 AM
Not that I'm aware of, or if there is it hasn't been announced yet. But I did read that each school in England had received 10 testing kits recently. Every little helps.

It really doesn't.

The UK Government, and Deloitte under their instructions, are really fucking up the non-NHS labs stuff at the moment, and there's no sign of a near-future plan on their side on how they're going to support the massive ramping up of demand that should accompany return to workplaces and schools and so on in a matter of weeks.

This stuff affects the entire of the UK - not just England.

idunnosomename

The only agenda i'd like to push is a primed pipebomb up sir keith's asshole

phes

QuoteBack2Skool2Die

90% of the hard work done there for a great 1980s high school style horror

"You expect me to go Back2Skool Goldfinger?"

Shit Good Nose

Little Nose goes back next Thursday, or at least she's due to.  The controlling academy trust keeps flip-flopping on various things (like whether to keep social distancing with class bubbles, whether or not to have them all wearing masks, what to do about eating lunch etc etc) and a couple of the parents "on the inside" seem to think there may be a last minute delay.

Mrs Nose deeply concerned about her going back but, at the moment, continuing with parental homeschooling is not an option (which I'm silently glad about, as it was INCREDIBLY stressful).

Nothing more to add at the moment...

olliebean

A lot is being said about how little risk children are at from the disease, how they get it so mildly that most don't even have symptoms, but surely that's a bad thing, isn't it? Not for the kids, but for any of the teachers and other staff who come into contact with loads of kids who are spreading the virus around without anyone even knowing they've got it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on August 29, 2020, 09:16:52 PM
A lot is being said about how little risk children are at from the disease, how they get it so mildly that most don't even have symptoms, but surely that's a bad thing, isn't it? Not for the kids, but for any of the teachers and other staff who come into contact with loads of kids who are spreading the virus around without anyone even knowing they've got it.

that was being said from the outset, odd that it seems to have been forgotten/ minds reset

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAs many as 200 pupils are now having to self-isolate after positive coronavirus cases were confirmed in relation to eight Liverpool schools.

21 staff members are also self-isolating after the reopening of schools in the city hit problems early on.

It is understood that five primary schools and three secondary schools have been hit by positive cases, which have led to differing numbers of fellow pupils and staff having to keep themselves away from others for 14 days.

However only five of these schools have seen pupils sent home to self-isolate.

Other situations involve either teachers or pupils having tested positive before returning to school - and therefore not affecting wider numbers at the schools in question...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hundreds-pupils-isolating-after-eight-18891505

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It is utterly incredible isn't it?

Parents drive kids to school -> kids all sit around the same space, cough, sneeze, wipe their hands on stuff -> germs shared around - Parents pick up kids from school ->  take the virus home with them.

So there will be sporadic closures with whole classrooms having to isolate, kids miles behind on their work, parents who can't get to work, and of course teachers blackmailed into allowing all this to happen.

bgmnts

This is the one thing we didn't want to happen.