Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Back2Skool2Die

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 22, 2020, 12:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 01, 2021, 10:22:50 AM
Mike Gatting leads them on a rebel tour to South Africa

They'll have to play T20s only as look what happened last time an England team toured South Africa. Think of the Bio-secure bubbles!

Fambo Number Mive

https://twitter.com/Roker1898/status/1345020965483327488

Johnson doesn't think a room full of thirty one people is a hotspot for COVID. I'm not sure why he thinks people can't teach wearing face coverings or learn while wearing face coverings. Of course people who are exempt can't wear them but that's going to be a very small number.

And surely, if masks can't be worn, a room full of thirty one people isn't safe with around 50,000 cases per day the last few days.

idunnosomename

Dr Rock

Why don't the schools open only at night, when viruses are either asleep or can't see where they're going?

olliebean

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 01, 2021, 11:15:16 PM
Why don't the schools open only at night, when viruses are either asleep or can't see where they're going?

This is dangerous nonsense. We established ages ago with the pub & restaurant curfews that the virus only comes out after 10pm.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 01, 2021, 08:20:26 PM
https://twitter.com/Roker1898/status/1345020965483327488

Johnson doesn't think a room full of thirty one people is a hotspot for COVID. I'm not sure why he thinks people can't teach wearing face coverings or learn while wearing face coverings. Of course people who are exempt can't wear them but that's going to be a very small number.

And surely, if masks can't be worn, a room full of thirty one people isn't safe with around 50,000 cases per day the last few days.

Still finds it all funny doesn't he?

idunnosomename

everyone in the uk should piss in boris johnson's mouth until his gut bursts from all the fucking piss we are pissing into boris johnson

Fambo Number Mive

Somewhat releated, given that the "open the schools, demask the classrooms" types seem to think children can't get seriously ill with it:

QuoteMedics are starting to see "whole wards of children" suffering from Covid for the first time during the pandemic, a senior nurse has warned.

Laura Duffell, a matron at King's College Hospital, London, said the new strain of Covid was affecting children and younger adults with no underlying health conditions in worrying numbers.

She said: "It's very different. That's what makes it so much scarier for us as doctors, nurses and porters and everyone else who is working on the front line.

"We have children who are coming in. It was minimally affecting children in the first wave... we now have a whole ward of children here and I know that some of my colleagues are in the same position, where they have a whole ward of children with Covid."...

Someone should tell Keith.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-wards-full-children-first-145710680.html

finnquark

Looking forward to whatever milquetoast shadow cabinet drone comes out to equivocate tomorrow morning. Can't be seen to support the union barons.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: finnquark on January 02, 2021, 06:39:47 PM
Looking forward to whatever milquetoast shadow cabinet drone comes out to equivocate tomorrow morning. Can't be seen to support the union barons.

Yes, their line so far is about 'disruption', again just managerialism, gutless, no willingness to get off the fence.

Fambo Number Mive

All these MPs suddently being concerned about the mental health of children, in particular Tory MPs, while having supported policies that made the mental health of people worse.

For example this Robert Halfon has said "Mental health for children is as important as dealing with the risk from coronavirus,"

but has generally voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms,  consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices, consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability, consistently voted for making local councils responsible for helping those in financial need afford their council tax and reducing the amount spent on such support, always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits - how does that help the mental health of children and their families, many of whom will be struggling because of the polices Halfon voted for?

If Halfon really wants to help children's mental health, close the schools, bring in UBI and a total lockdown so parents can afford not to work and can look after children at home. Buy laptops for children who need them and give parents money to ensure they have a decent internet connection. Also ensure all schools have a decent internet connection and offer teachers who want it some training in using online communications with children.

Or is this just about ensuring children are in school so parents who can't work from home can get back to work, Robert?

Bence Fekete

Go Catch Sars Everyone Smashing

finnquark

Ah Wes Streeting, excellent.

Should schools open tomorrow? Streeting: "Many schools tomorrow are closing and many more will follow."

Helvetica Scenario

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 03, 2021, 10:48:53 AM
Buy laptops for children who need them

This happened during the first lockdown and new laptops for identified pupils were still being provided by the DfE during the weeks up to Christmas in case schools closed again. Which the DfE still won't allow even in the face of what seems to be the most dangerous stage in the entire pandemic...

Chedney Honks

My wife works in primary (T4) and just got an email that they're not opening tomorrow and planning to be shut for the foreseeable to all but key worker and vulnerable kids. Her WhatsApp has been going off like a fucking pinball table with emails pasted in from other schools. Feels momentous in a way, people taking matters into their own hands to protect the community from the utter fucking cretins in charge. I welled up when she showed me some of the messages.

Partly, I was moved by the power of collective spirit and also because I was hoping to watch the entire Once Upon A Time In China trilogy with Jet Li tomorrow.

Alberon

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 03, 2021, 02:41:39 PM
Partly, I was moved by the power of collective spirit and also because I was hoping to watch the entire Once Upon A Time In China trilogy with Jet Li tomorrow.

He really shouldn't be travelling that distance under COVID restrictions, but it is still nice of him to make the effort.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 02, 2021, 08:48:11 AM
Somewhat releated, given that the "open the schools, demask the classrooms" types seem to think children can't get seriously ill with it:

And even if they couldn't get seriously ill, they're still bringing it home and killing their gran.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Alberon on January 03, 2021, 03:26:59 PM
He really shouldn't be travelling that distance under COVID restrictions, but it is still nice of him to make the effort.

A genuine laugh.

monkfromhavana

I see John Harris' latest article where he lambasts both sides of the school argument, then says that the main focus should be keeping everyone safe.

Pinball

Full lockdown, close everything that can be closed, accelerate vaccine rollout. Boris stating that schools are safe is factually incorrect and immoral.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 03, 2021, 05:21:29 PM
I see John Harris' latest article where he lambasts both sides of the school argument, then says that the main focus should be keeping everyone safe.

Harris says:

QuoteGiven that the internet does not reach many households, why hasn't television been more thoroughly used to make up for the interruptions to schooling?

Not sure now this would work with so many different things being taught at the same time, it would also mean that people inside would have less to do so might mean more bored people breaking the rules. Just imagine only being able to watch educational programming on BBC. Might you it would help educate the population, so the government would never consider it.

Harris wants to know why outdoor teaching wasn't tried - with thousands of playing fields sold off in the 1990s and 2000s, where would many schools go? The local park? With many people ignoring social distancing, would this be safe?

Interesting that the piece regards ideas Harris disagrees with as "shouting" while his ideas are "creative thinking. The piece also doesn't mention that DFe guidelines are for students and teachers not to wear masks in classrooms - why doesn't Harris at least call for this to be changed?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Pinball on January 03, 2021, 06:34:23 PM
Full lockdown, close everything that can be closed, accelerate vaccine rollout. Boris stating that schools are safe is factually incorrect and immoral.

We should be compiling criminal charges against Johnson by the end of this.

Alberon

So what is happening tomorrow? Some boroughs have close their schools, some more have said they won't prosecute parents who keep their kids home.

It's a total mess. Based on past performance the government will finally agree to a full school shutdown somewhere from Wednesday to next weekend.

finnquark

Have received no communication from SMT, but we are on a (pre-scheduled) college holiday tomorrow and were told when we broke up not to expect anything until Monday AM because the government doesn't have a clue. Mulling over whether to send the NEU letter in tomorrow, but the NEU is very much a minority at college and I haven't been at this place long enough to get a handle on the likely management response.

olliebean

Today is an inset day, so kids won't be going in to school anyway. The chaos starts tomorrow. I suspect in most schools today will largely be devoted to working out what the hell they're supposed to be/going to be doing.

Fambo Number Mive

Femi is going for the John Harris approach:

QuoteEvery school should stay open BUT, as explained below, that should happen by commandeering any public spaces (e.g. clubs/pubs/cinemas) required to ensure that every kid stays 2m away from other pupils and teachers. And extend mask wearing.

IT'S NOT BINARY.

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1345721302515134468

Just imagining teachers travelling all over town trying to get from class to class. How are the children going to eat if they are in the closed cinema all day? Is someone going to leave packed lunches outside? How will the children safely get fresh air? Being in the same room for eight hours seems very risky. Will toilets be safe for pupils to use? Given that a lot of pub and club toilets are pretty grim.

These "Third Way" ideas just won't work.

QuoteLabour's shadow education secretary
@KateGreenSU  tells @skynewsniall
the govt should close non-essential retail in Tier 3 areas (by shifting to Tier 4 national lockdown) before schools are closed in those areas.

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1346017519841267713

finnquark

The problem, as ever really, is the lack of understanding of practicalities that the commentariat have. 'Nightingale schools' are a good idea, and repurposing closed buildings to safely educate would be a great policy, but it can't be done overnight can it? It needs a period of closure so staff can prepare these spaces so they are safe, clean, equipped, etc.

This all comes back to the myths we tell ourselves as a society about the wars. Listen to the stories that get told, and Britain 'won' WWI and WWII because a bunch of cockneys sang roll out the barrel during the Blitz, or because a series of one off mavericks saved the day (Churchill, Lloyd George, etc.). The bit that is always ignored is the mass mobilisation of state power and organisation, including co-opting private industry. Lloyd George didn't suddenly wave a magic wand and solve the Shell Crisis - the Ministry of Munitions procured factories, workers and supplies and organised their way out of it. Until the media and the public disabuse themselves of these ridiculous fantasies, nonsense like 'keep the schools open, roll out the barrel' or 'well, just start teaching them outside from tomorprow' will seem logical.

The other parallel with the wars is that in both cases the ineffective Prime Minister was brought down and replaced, by a combination of his own party and the opposition, but that's another thread.

These suggestions aren't necessarily bad, but it's all too late. We've had almost a year to plan and implement a new normal for schools and did next to fuck all with it.

Fambo Number Mive

Femi should have used his large public profile to retweet the concerns of teachers and their union - the people who know what is going on - or ask whether his proposed suggestions would work rather than going on about "IT'S NOT BINARY" and saying every school should stay open.