Author Topic: Back2Skool2Die  (Read 15178 times)

Re: Back2Skool2Die
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
I am a college teacher in Florida and will be in a classroom next Tuesday (12th) but am trying to shift as many students on to Zoom as I can by persuasion rather than compulsion. Too early to guess numbers yet with 8 days to go.

I did get my Friday night class on to Zoom but (this being the fucked up US) the students who are being funded as military veterans only get paid if they attend in-person so they will log into Zoom from a classroom computer while I lecture to them from home to bend this rule without technically breaking it.

« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »
STARMER U TURNS

OR TURNS

DOES SOMETHING OR OTHER

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2021, 05:56:55 PM »
I hope Johnson does close the schools, as it looks like he will, but what has changed for him to say yesterday that parents should send children back to schools and today want to close them? We've had over 50,000 cases for the last few days, has he only just noticed?

Is it the new Yougov poll showing 79% support another lockdown?

Zetetic

• I wasn't supposed to be around this long, so…
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2021, 06:10:15 PM »
Wales suspend face-to-face learning until 18th Jan.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Slime-fit for a piss binge
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2021, 06:12:51 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/01/schools-staff-shortages/617465/

(What's happening in the U.S is now fulfilling my prediction that whether you want schools to stay open or not, leaving them open ends up in a situation where there are too many absences for the show to carry on)

Twit 2

• On Earth, no cure
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2021, 06:28:58 PM »
64 page DFE guidelines for schools just published. The advice means that schools have to give places to those who are eligible and want it, regardless of practicality and safety, lots of people will take it up, schools will be pretty much full, unsafe and neither the kids at home nor the ones in school will be getting quality education. SMASHED IT!

Chedney Honks

• Mood Rating (out of three): 👍👍
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2021, 06:51:24 PM »
Should work out well for the global pandemic thing, as well.

Twit 2

• On Earth, no cure
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2021, 08:21:11 PM »
We’re in the schools thread?

Chedney Honks

« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »
What's the fucking point in 'closing' schools when almost every job is deemed essential?

My wife has 70% attendance in her school.

Twit 2

• On Earth, no cure
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2021, 08:43:01 PM »
Yep it’s bollocks. Everyone’s furious about it. Even the politically unengaged staff want this government gassed.

Chedney Honks

« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2021, 09:16:32 PM »
Look after yourself, man. It's a fucking joke. I'm ready to whistleblow without her knowing, can't believe she's in this fucking position. I just need to get us out of here.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
Not sure how these "mini exams" Williamson talks about are going to work. It sounds like a way to keep exams but not annoy so many people. I presume the mini exam will have to be sat virtually but I wouldn't rule out the government cramming students into exam halls to sit a couple of exams. Maybe the government will have an exam on British History (Farage syllabus) for everyone, I don't know.

finnquark

• come un sogno che va via, ti svegli triste
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »
Drivel, drivel, drivel from Williamson. These 'exams' won't happen, he hasn't got a clue how an A Level syllabus works. The less said about the way he treats vocational students, the better. The Tories have been muttering about vocational education since at least the 1870s, when growth rates began to show signs of slowing down. They're as disinterested in tackling it now as they were then.

Tags: