Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:00:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Back2Skool2Die

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 22, 2020, 12:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I am a college teacher in Florida and will be in a classroom next Tuesday (12th) but am trying to shift as many students on to Zoom as I can by persuasion rather than compulsion. Too early to guess numbers yet with 8 days to go.

I did get my Friday night class on to Zoom but (this being the fucked up US) the students who are being funded as military veterans only get paid if they attend in-person so they will log into Zoom from a classroom computer while I lecture to them from home to bend this rule without technically breaking it.

idunnosomename

STARMER U TURNS

OR TURNS

DOES SOMETHING OR OTHER

Fambo Number Mive

I hope Johnson does close the schools, as it looks like he will, but what has changed for him to say yesterday that parents should send children back to schools and today want to close them? We've had over 50,000 cases for the last few days, has he only just noticed?

Is it the new Yougov poll showing 79% support another lockdown?

Zetetic

Wales suspend face-to-face learning until 18th Jan.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/01/schools-staff-shortages/617465/

(What's happening in the U.S is now fulfilling my prediction that whether you want schools to stay open or not, leaving them open ends up in a situation where there are too many absences for the show to carry on)

Twit 2

64 page DFE guidelines for schools just published. The advice means that schools have to give places to those who are eligible and want it, regardless of practicality and safety, lots of people will take it up, schools will be pretty much full, unsafe and neither the kids at home nor the ones in school will be getting quality education. SMASHED IT!

Chedney Honks

Should work out well for the global pandemic thing, as well.

Twit 2

We're in the schools thread?

Chedney Honks

What's the fucking point in 'closing' schools when almost every job is deemed essential?

My wife has 70% attendance in her school.

Twit 2

Yep it's bollocks. Everyone's furious about it. Even the politically unengaged staff want this government gassed.

Chedney Honks

Look after yourself, man. It's a fucking joke. I'm ready to whistleblow without her knowing, can't believe she's in this fucking position. I just need to get us out of here.

Fambo Number Mive

Not sure how these "mini exams" Williamson talks about are going to work. It sounds like a way to keep exams but not annoy so many people. I presume the mini exam will have to be sat virtually but I wouldn't rule out the government cramming students into exam halls to sit a couple of exams. Maybe the government will have an exam on British History (Farage syllabus) for everyone, I don't know.

finnquark

Drivel, drivel, drivel from Williamson. These 'exams' won't happen, he hasn't got a clue how an A Level syllabus works. The less said about the way he treats vocational students, the better. The Tories have been muttering about vocational education since at least the 1870s, when growth rates began to show signs of slowing down. They're as disinterested in tackling it now as they were then.

jobotic

QuoteJohnson says teachers will be vaccinated if they are in the top four priority groups. He challenges Starmer to say schools are safe.

QuoteAnd he says his statement to the Commons soon will say what more is being done on school reopening. He challenges Starmer to say, "in defiance of his union paymasters", that schools are safe.
[/b]

From PMQs just now.

Everything about those quotes makes me want to scream until I pass out.

Based on him looking like he's been given a terminal cancer diagnosis this past 24 hours, I'm presuming that Graham Brady's told him to re-open schools or he's out.

Twit 2

Quote from: finnquark on January 13, 2021, 05:46:59 PM
They're as disinterested in tackling it now as they were then.

Uninterested.

Fambo Number Mive

Schools won't reopen before March.

QuotePM says "it will not be possible" to reopen schools in England after half-term break next month, but is hopeful it could happen from 8 March

Alberon

Quote from: jobotic on January 27, 2021, 12:19:45 PM
[/b]

From PMQs just now.

Everything about those quotes makes me want to scream until I pass out.
I just did scream at that. How the fuck did he square that with accusing Starmer of playing politics almost in the same sentence?

Fambo Number Mive

Andrew Fucking Neil attacking the teachers' union on Twitter again for being concerned about community transmission and not wanting to just totally open up once teachers are vaccinated. Loads of shitstains on Twitter agreeing with them, one calling for teachers to be banned from public transport and using the NHS.

I think teachers should strike and challenge Neil and a load of Tory grifters to do their job for a month. It's disgusting how the right attack one of the most stressful, overworked and challenging professions.

Chedney Honks

The 'vaccinate teachers to open schools' argument is completely stupid, unless you think that schools are 'closed' simply to keep teachers safe. Dumb bastards.

Fambo Number Mive

Phased return for Scottish schools later this month:

QuoteScotland's youngest pupils are likely to return to the classroom full time from 22 February as schools start a phased reopening.

The move will include all pupils in P1-P3 as well as pre-school children.

There will also be a part-time return, but on a very limited basis, for senior secondary pupils to allow them to complete work for national qualifications.

A final decision will be taken on the partial reopening in a fortnight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55904466

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 31, 2021, 01:19:00 PM
The 'vaccinate teachers to open schools' argument is completely stupid, unless you think that schools are 'closed' simply to keep teachers safe. Dumb bastards.

Everything's closed to keep everyone safe, schools are just a part of that.  Yes teachers should be vaccinated, but so should anyone working with the public, right down to shop workers etc.  If businesses are going to be reopening to help the economy then the workers should be given priority in the vaccination queue, but only after other more vulnerable groups have had theirs first.

Cuellar

Apparently there's research out of the Netherlands that suggests children spread the UK variant more than the original one.

The schools MUST open NOW

phes

Post Covid Syndrome front page on Guardian today. My closest friend's kid (one of four) is in hospital with this. She's 8. The night before last they were talking about transfer and ICU within 24 hours if she shows no signs of improvement. Barely conscious. This morning she's awake and sitting up and eating. That surely can't be a bad thing, but it's still terrifying whether that recovery will be a linear thing, and what long term harm may be caused. He wasn't allowed in, only his wife, and had to Zoom with consultants. He's been a healthcare professional for many years, so he's used to how brutally honest consultants can be. When he asked if she'd survive, the consultant said: "Well..."

Terrifying stuff.

Cuellar

No ifs, no buts. The schools MUST open.

mobias

Does anyone here watch the Independent Sage live Twitter discussion on a Friday afternoon? They're great. They should really be broadcast on live TV. I've learnt more from them than I ever have from any of the
live press conferences. They really put the boot into the government though which is why they're confined to Twitter.

They addressed schools reopening on todays live chat. They were having a go at Johnson and co saying schools were their top priority when clearly they're not the top priority. The economy has always been the top
priority. The gist was you can reopen schools but only at the expense of closing down other things. Which the government aren't going to do. So it comes round again to the whole issue of this not being a full lockdown.
They were saying the data suggests one if five working adults are still leaving home to go out to work. 

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteGovernment seem to be full on "OPEN THE SCHOOLS" on March 8th:

Looks like plan is for *all* schools - primary and secondary - to open on March 8 in England.

No phased return with youngest/ exam years back first like in summer.

PM accepts this is likely to push R rate back over one - and move is against advice of some Govt scientists.

Quote...They know vaccine roll-out gives second chance but hard for pathological optimist PM.

He says: "We have to be cautious. We don't want to be forced into any kind of retreat or reverse ferret"

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1360891186060414976

Just so frustrating that they are making the same mistake over and over again backed by their MAGA-style cheerleaders. No mention even of mandating masks in classrooms or making sure all classrooms has adequate ventilation.

Or will they go for unworkable attemps at COVID mitigation like in the US: https://twitter.com/GinaRGL/status/1360452481373925378