Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What businesses has the 'vid affected in your town?

Started by Blue Jam, August 22, 2020, 07:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

It seems the butchers, fishmongers, greengrocer and cheese shop (yes) near me have enjoyed a real boom in business in the last six/nine months, and it's common to see length queues that you never used to. I can imagine a fair few of the numerous pubs and restaurants might not be opening again.

buttgammon

I spent 25 minutes queuing to get into a cheesemonger yesterday, so anecdotally, places like that are doing okay.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buttgammon on December 22, 2020, 10:15:59 AM
I spent 25 minutes queuing to get into a cheesemonger yesterday, so anecdotally, places like that are doing okay.
I do wonder how much of it has been down to people working at home more - so more likely to think they'll pop out on their lunch break to buy some veg or whatever locally, whereas previously they might have been stuck in the office till 5pm and by the time they get home, only the big chain places are open.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 19, 2020, 09:23:07 PM
Bit of a bleak Edinburgh round-up here:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-businesses-never-reopen-again-19325883
Shite news about Hendersons, although I think it was also partly the owners wanting to retire. Edinburgh has generally been curiously a bit shit for veggie/vegan food considering its arty population, and it was one of the few constants. The Mermaid chippy was decent too, although possibly not for vegetarians.

Still good news about the Jam House shutting, terrible place (although I did once see John Otway there at festival time and he drove up to the stage in a Sinclair C5, which you can't do in many Fringe venues.) I'm sure it'll reopen as something just as bad, though.

Sofi's in Leith is looking very closed up, which used to be a great wee pub. And I'm worried I'll never get in the new Innis and Gunn place on the Shore which "opened" this summer; it's been about 5 different things in recent years. There seemed to be a surprising number of cafes and stuff opening this summer.

Blue Jam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 22, 2020, 11:46:43 AM
Shite news about Hendersons, although I think it was also partly the owners wanting to retire. Edinburgh has generally been curiously a bit shit for veggie/vegan food considering its arty population, and it was one of the few constants. The Mermaid chippy was decent too, although possibly not for vegetarians.

Had quite a few veggie/vegan places near me close. The Herbivore Kitchen has gone and so has the vegan place next to The Southern and the veggie/vegan Indian restaurant near Pisspoor Southpour.

The vegan donut place opposite Summerhall has had queues out the door though, and I am reliably informed that David Bann Restaurant will be alright.

On the subject of Pisspoor Southpour, I think they might be closing. Owner and complete prick Stefan King has apparently said that all the G1 Group's bars and restaurants that haven't reopened won't be reopening while he figures out yet another sneaky way to avoid paying his staff for the foreseeable future, and Pisspoor only reopened for about five minutes. That place is in a bit of a doomed location but they had been doing well because they had deals with the B&Bs down the road in Mayfield, giving discounts to tourists, and now there are no tourists.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 22, 2020, 11:46:43 AMSofi's in Leith is looking very closed up, which used to be a great wee pub. And I'm worried I'll never get in the new Innis and Gunn place on the Shore which "opened" this summer; it's been about 5 different things in recent years. There seemed to be a surprising number of cafes and stuff opening this summer.

Sofi's is one of the Swedish ones isn't it? Owned by those people who own about five Swedish places. I can't see Hemma on Holyrood adoing too well now- it's been closed whenever I've been past and the Pizza Express nextdoor is one of the branches that closed down, not a lot of footfall round there. Looks like Akva has been open though, that's good to see as that's a huge bar in another tricky location.

I didn't know Innis and Gunn had a new place in Leith, I hope I get to check it out as the one on Lothian Road is really nice, good food too. I also wanted to check out the Campervan Brewery taproom in Leith which opened five minutes before lockdown, I hope they survive. Ditto for the Portobello Tap, owned by Cross Borders brewing.

Closer to me, I went past Field restaurant in Newington the other day and saw the sign had gone and the interior had been stripped. That place was owned by a chef from The Plumed Horse who had struck out on his own and seemed to be doing well so that was sad to see.

Blue Jam

Looks like we might have to return our two rental pandas:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-55523609

Good riddance, the lazy fuckers can't even be arsed to shag.

Blue Jam

Just went past Indaba Deli and saw the interior had been stripped. Looks like they're still going but now operating the deli from the Indaba restaurant premises up west. Makes sense to stop paying rent on both a shop and a restaurant when the restaurant can't operate, I guess. Might click and collect a nice bit of manchego and some posh wine and support them a bit because I would be very sad if they went under.

Rizla

Still good news about the Jam House shutting, terrible place (although I did once see John Otway there at festival time and he drove up to the stage in a Sinclair C5, which you can't do in many Fringe venues.) I'm sure it'll reopen as something just as bad, though.
Funny, was just chatting to my mate about that Otway show. It may be a terrible venue but it's been a lifesaving gig for me the past decade, well paid and with a dressing room so you can hide from the riff-raff between sets. They let you drink for free all night once you'd finished playing, too. Nice barstaff. Ah fuck I'm gutted actually. Hopefully the new owners use the same agency, might still be in with a shout.

Sofi's in Leith is looking very closed up, which used to be a great wee pub.
Preferred back when it was Kalinkas, run by a wee woman who claimed to be a deposed russian contessa. She'd get all dolled up in her national dress on sundays and belt out trad russkie songs on her casio, and they'd do borscht and blini over the bar. Much better than knitting nights and ikea meatballs ;-)

Blue Jam

Sofi's Southside is looking very bleak too. Lots of stepladders and dust and things looking like they've been disassembled. Bit of a doomed location though- before Sofi's it was home to The Meadows Bar, The Moo Bar, Harry's Southside and Southside Social. I guess no-one can compete with The Dagda over the road.

Blue Jam

Well, this is quite a toll:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-bars-restaurants-closed-good-19567623

Gutted about Six Degrees North, great selection of Belgian beers and the food was really good. Sad news about Stewart's Tap Room too, nice little ramshackle place run by a good local brewery.

I'm most sad of all to learn that Illegal Jack's also won't be reopening. I've been craving their combo fajitas since lockdown began but after all the crap they've been through at both of their locations I wouldn't blame them for sacking things off completely.

Ransacked Black Oven gone too despite making a good go of staying open. No more of their nice healthy Middle Eastern tapas-style things which always smelled amazing.

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 26, 2020, 04:45:46 PM
The Argyle is the superior boozer and is right round the corner. For shame.

Embra pubs update: I am posting this from The Argyle. Sadly The Earl Of Marchmont remains closed with the layer of dust on the tables just getting thicker by the day. Word is they're looking for a new landlord and also a bit of investment to di the place up a bit.

Pisspoor Southpour lives. Grrrrr.

Blue Jam

The Dalriada in Portobello won't be reopening after Rockstar North's former boss bought it to live in:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/grand-theft-auto-millionaire-turn-19210849

The House That GTA Built. Looks like it needed a major refurbishment anyway, it was a nice pub but I can't blame the owners for selling up.

The Southern bar in Newington is looking ominously boarded-up right now. I was at their sister pub Holyrood 9a a few weeks back and asked the staff if it would be reopening and they said there were plans to reopen it "Once there's more footfall" but with the Fringe being greatly reduced in size this year maybe there still isn't enough.

Blinder Data

last week i went to Glasgow city centre for the first time since lockdown. some of my preferred lunch spots are completely boarded up: Martha's, Social Bite, etc.

the annoying thing is, i bet the likes of Pret will be fine - it's the smaller more interesting ones that aren't going to come back :(

Blue Jam

Nah, Pret's been in trouble, closed 30 branches. Closed all the UK branches of EAT. as well. More people working from home means less demand for sandwiches.

mothman

Went on a boat trip today round the southern bays of Jersey today, the pilot/helmsman mentioned the tour company's coaches were all "rotting in a field" and the boat trips were the only things keeping the business, er, afloat.