Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:27:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Suicide Squad.

Started by Glebe, August 23, 2020, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

THE SUICIDE SQUAD – DC FanDome Exclusive Sneak peek.

The Suicide Squad - Roll Call.

So that's a proper look at everyone and who they're playing. Hoping this is not the unfocused mess that was 2016's Suicide Sqaud. Oh yeah, two (only slightly different) versions of a poster:

Blumf

The Suicide Squad
The Suicide Squad
A Suicide Squad
Some Suicide Squad

Just not Suicide Squad

Goldentony

still mad that one of the universally agreed upon shittest films of all time got both a sequel and someone not at the level of a McG directing it. Looks alright but I will not be conned again into seeing one of these fucking things until people I trust reassure me with letters of correspondence

VelourSpirit

it looks mad, it'll be great
peter capaldi somehow makes that shit stuck in his head look cool!

magval

John Cena ought to be brilliant in this sort of role in this sort of film. Considering what James Gunn casting Ba(u)tista did for HIS career, hopefully this'll throw him up into that same higher tier of wrestler-actors like Dave and the Rock, if only so we get to see him in more films. He's by far the funniest of those three. Big fan.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Goldentony on August 23, 2020, 03:15:58 AM
still mad that one of the universally agreed upon shittest films of all time got both a sequel and someone not at the level of a McG directing it. Looks alright but I will not be conned again into seeing one of these fucking things until people I trust reassure me with letters of correspondence
Don't forget the spin-off Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

I guess everybody is horny for Margot Robbie in cosplay.

Custard

Birds Of Prey wasn't great, but I did find it entertaining, for the most part.

This should be better though, as Gunn clearly has form with the Guardians films and is a genuine fan of the source material. And he hates Jared Lego

Lord Mandrake

Gunn leaning into everything that David Ayer was too shy or too stupid or too hampered to deploy and it will make his (Ayers) film look magnitudes worse if that's even possible.

Small Man Big Horse

Ha, I love the way trailer repeatedly screams "This is nothing like the other one, we know that was shit, but this will be great I fucking swear". It may well be too, though I'm in the "Guardians Of The Galaxy" is quite good camp rather than being a rabid fan boy (which I am for some of the other Marvel movies).

SavageHedgehog

I think Gunn is overrated (not least by himself) but he still makes fairly entertaining films and I think this looks fun.

Mister Six

This is gonna be fucking great. The only one of yesterday's DC trailers that has me unequivocally excited.

I'm bored, so here are my Suicide Squad survival predictions, based on the character trailer and not knowing who half of them are (some of the assumptions re: racism and sexism in Hollywood might be unfair because James Gunn seems like s good guy, but it IS Hollywood, so...):

LOCKED ON SURVIVORS
- Harley (obviously)
- Boomerang (the other breakout character)

PROBABLY GOING TO BE OKAY
- Waller (unless they're going to replace her with Mr Bones in the future, which I'm fine with)
- Rick Flagg (might die to make the situation more chaotic - also his logo has bullet holes in the T-shirt... if it wasn't for him being in the first film I'd have him pegged to die at the start... that and they might want a straight man to contrast with pretty much everyone else)
- Polka Dot Man (obvious comedy standout - him surviving while other, more obviously hardened characters fall around him seems like an inevitable gag)

MIGHT SURVIVE
- Ratcatcher 2 (Not many women in the film, and she's pretty and young, so might be played for sympathy. Actress is also basically unheard of so probably cheap to sign up for sequels... and the "2" suggests there's some backstory to work with)
- King Shark (Big loveably sharky thing, and the kids recognise him from the cartoons, so... He's also got a unique silhouette, which would make it a bit of a waste for him to cark it before whatever the sequel is called)

50/50
- Thinker (I love Capaldi and he has nerd cache, but I'm not putting all my money on "elderly telekinetic")

WILL AT LEAST MAKE IT TO THE HALFWAY POINT, BUT IS DOOMED
- Bloodsport (Idris Elba will appear in any old shit and seemingly has no care for his public image, so I can see him signing up to be the recognisable name who makes it past the initial carnage but then dies in a "surprising" manner. Has a cool helmet and fancy gun, so probs going to spend a bit of time onscreen). EDIT: Turns out this guy was originally Deadshot but when Elba came in to replace Will Smith because of scheduling issues, they changed the character. So he should probably be in "Probably Going to be Okay".
- Sul Soria (We already have a pretty woman with a gun, and she's younger and whiter than Alice Braga, so soz darling, that's the way the Hollywood cookie crumbles... probably going to die after getting revenge for her slain family because she's a fiery Latina and blah blah blah)
- Peacemaker (Honestly, the only reason he's not languishing with Weasel below is that John Cena's REALLY trying to get his Hollywood career going and I can't imagine he'd sign up if he wasn't in at least the first half of the movie)

WON'T EVEN MAKE IT TO THE HALFWAY POINT
- Weasel (comedy character, but expensive CGI and looks gross. And is played by director's brother. Might survive initial onslaught but isn't in it for the long haul. Or even the medium haul.)

DEAD BEFORE YOU'VE EATEN YOUR FIRST POPCORN
- Javelin (joke character played by a comedian you've never heard of, but not as obviously unequipped for all this as Polka Dot Man, and therefore not as funny if he survives)
- Savant (Gunn likes Rooker, but the costume is goofy and cheap looking, and "genius man with a gun" isn't really a compelling USP for this film)
- Mongal (Shit costume, power appears to be "has swords", played by a non-white woman you've never heard of who isn't being allowed to look pretty)
- Blackguard (stunt casting + Blackwho? + cheap costume + "man with guns" = probably the first to die, even before Javelin)
- TDK (same deal as Blackguard, except "arms-fall-off man" is funny enough as a concept to at least get him a couple more scenes so they can milk the joke a bit)

beanheadmcginty

I prefer my superhero films to be comedies, and Guardians 2 is the funniest Marvel film so I have hopes James Gunn can work his magic on this. My only question is: why the hell didn't he bin off Jai "box office poison" Courtney when he had the chance?

Mister Six

Because Captain Boomerang was the other breakout character from the first film, and because "box office poison" isn't really a thing?

phantom_power

Yeah, he was about the only good thing about the first film

Custard

No Killer Croc in this one? Or did he die?

I don't remember any of it. I remember someone blowing up, and the main villain being appalling

Good times

beanheadmcginty

OK then, how about Jai "fucking shit in Die Hard. Fucking shit in Terminator. Fucking shit in Suicide Squad" Courtney? Better?

phantom_power

He was good in Suicide Squad tough

Mister Six

STOP GETTING JAI COURTNEY WRONG!

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 24, 2020, 09:36:49 AM
No Killer Croc in this one? Or did he die?

I don't remember any of it. I remember someone blowing up, and the main villain being appalling

Good times

El Diablo blew up or turned into a big skeleton or something. Croc maybe got blown up putting a depth charge under the floor of the baddies' lair but I think he escaped.

And how can you be so cruel about Cara Delevingne's stunning portrayal of a haunted binbag?

SteveDave

HOW DOES JAI COURTNEY KEEP GETTING WORK?

Custard

I liked it when they cast him as Kyle Reese despite him looking nothing like Kyle Reese and having none of the presence or charisma

A glittering career

BritishHobo

Killer Croc was in prison at the end watching BET

Glebe

Apparently Will Smith was up for returning as Deadshot but he couldn't fit it into his schedule.

Mister Six

Yeah, Idris Elba was brought in to replace him but they decided to replace Deadshot with another character so Smith could come back in the future.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on August 26, 2020, 09:44:11 PMYeah, Idris Elba was brought in to replace him but they decided to replace Deadshot with another character so Smith could come back in the future.

Aha, right. Lot of odd casting gubbins going on with this.

Meanwhile, here's a New Rockstars breakdown of the tease if ye are arsed... looks like
Spoiler alert
Starro and his minions
[close]
could be making an appearance!

Obel

Quote from: Glebe on August 26, 2020, 05:53:36 PM
Apparently Will Smith was up for returning as Deadshot but he couldn't fit it into his schedule.

Oh yeah too busy filming every shit film he possibly can

Custard

And pushing his untalented annoying kids on the world

Famous Mortimer

Dealing with his unusual marriage issues too, possibly.

Glebe

Custard

I know its the times we live in, but it seems a bit presumptuous and arrogant to commission a TV show about a character people haven't even seen yet. Its like when Peter Kay had t-shirts on his website with lines of dialogue from Max and Paddy which hadn't even aired yet

frajer

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 24, 2020, 09:54:39 AM
I know its the times we live in, but it seems a bit presumptuous and arrogant to commission a TV show about a character people haven't even seen yet. Its like when Peter Kay had t-shirts on his website with lines of dialogue from Max and Paddy which hadn't even aired yet

Definitely a sign of the times. I imagine it's partly down to the way algorithms dictate what gets comission/renewed/cancelled. John Cena + superhero x James Gunn = 10 episodes.

But then there's always been a bit of this hyperbolic bluster around franchise films. I remember when Halle Berry's cardboard cut-out Jinx was reportedly getting a spin-off from Die Another Day. Bloody nora.