Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Suicide Squad.

Started by Glebe, August 23, 2020, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

I dunno, this doesn't seem outrageous. Unlike Jinx, Peacemaker is a well-established character (in comics) with a pretty funny hook, and if Gunn felt when writing the film that there were other stories to tell, a show seems pretty reasonable.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mister Six on September 24, 2020, 07:00:58 PM
I dunno, this doesn't seem outrageous. Unlike Jinx, Peacemaker is a well-established character (in comics) with a pretty funny hook, and if Gunn felt when writing the film that there were other stories to tell, a show seems pretty reasonable.
And John Cena's a big enough actor, with a lot of history doing both big action films action and comedy as well as wrestling, that I'm sure it would attract interest even without the film.

Mister Six

Mostly it's the Gunn/character combo that's selling me on it. Jinx was a bland Bond girl in a bad Bond film, and the theoretical spin-off was producer-mandated guff. This Peacemaker show has enough of Gunn's involvement for him to be writing the pilot, and the character is weird and substantial enough (he's a guy who wants to bring peace through mass murder, and thinks his helmet contains the souls of the people he's killed, who talk to him) to make at least a miniseries worthwhile. I can totally believe this came out of creative enthusiasm rather than Warners demanding a spin-off.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on September 29, 2020, 05:28:53 PM
he's a guy who ... thinks his helmet contains the souls of the people he's killed, who talk to him)
Sounds like a pisstake of the ninja one from the previous film.

sirhenry

Quote from: Mister Six on September 29, 2020, 05:28:53 PM
he's a guy who ... thinks his helmet contains the souls of the people he's killed, who talk to him
Sounds like a lift from Rogue Trooper from 2000AD.

Gulftastic

Quote from: sirhenry on September 29, 2020, 05:36:42 PM
Sounds like a lift from Rogue Trooper from 2000AD.

I'm not sure. The character started in the 60s but I don't know if the helmet talked to him back then or if it's something added when fully joined the DCU in the 80s

H-O-W-L

I think this is the first time there's a Harley Quinn costume in a film that I haven't actually fucking hated. It's just sort of bland, and that's good because every character designer who's clapped hands on the character in the last 20 years seems to have gone out of their way to expose more and more of her flange.

Glebe

Dunno if this was worth posting, but with the slow trickle of movie doings with the pandemic and that you take your geek fixes when you can!:

Empire's The Suicide Squad World Exclusive Covers Revealed.

Mister Six

Pete Davison looking very hastily photoshopped in there. Definitely going to die within minutes of first appearing onscreen.

Glebe

Bad Ambassador

I like the second cover's inference that the movie stars an actual sharkman.

Mister Six

And an actual weasel thing.

Pete Davison stock photos among the CGIed characters suggests he gets about five minutes of screen time, max, before the neck-bombs do him in. I assume the orange lass doing a warrior pose in the "relaxed" shoot means she's going to be killed off quickly too.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on November 16, 2020, 02:52:14 PMPete Davison stock photos among the CGIed characters suggests he gets about five minutes of screen time, max, before the neck-bombs do him in.

I'd forgotten about the neck bombs. Apparently Gunn was given carte blanche with the characters... nobody is safe!

Mister Six

Except, obviously, Harley Quinn.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on November 17, 2020, 05:27:23 AMExcept, obviously, Harley Quinn.

Then can kill her off and just say it was an alternative reality or some such excuse like they do now.

Kelvin

Looks nearly as shite as the first one.

frajer

Chalk me up as cautiously optimistic. Looks at least like they'll embrace the insanity more. I liked King Shark chomping and tearing people apart.

Kelvin

Maybe it's just a terrible trailer, but I found almost none of it funny. I hated Guardians 1 and 2, as well, mind you. But more for the nauseating sentimentality, rather than the humour. Maybe Gunn's sensibilities just aren't for me. 

chveik

looks well shite. cinematic event of the century

up_the_hampipe

"From the horribly beautiful mind of James Gunn"

What a nerd.

Just another blockbuster comic book film with all the cringey comedy trimmings. Member of the team says something stupid, the cool one says "we're gonna die". Every. Time.

Bazooka

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 26, 2021, 05:52:00 PM

He's hardly Takeshi Miike.

joaquin closet

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 26, 2021, 05:52:00 PM

From the twisted brain-wrong of a one-off man-mental James Gunn

Goldentony

this is really fucking bad, just all the shite SO WERE WITH THE REALLY NOW YEAH COOL OK WITH THE AND YEAH OK COOL WITH THE

Custard

You'll all be eating your words when the big shark man blows up and Dr Who's chewed up face falls out

#ReleaseTheSharkmansGut

lipsink

From the Guys Who Brought You White Chicks.

BritishHobo

I really wanted to like it, given the cast, and creator, and the whole redemptive vibe of it - giving the whole idea another, proper go, after the absolute mess that the first film was. But I have to agree with everyone that they've just led with the worst kind of humour, the kind of thing you see in a trailer for a shit-tier kid's film, or Paul Feig's Ghostbusters, where a character does something kooky, and all the other characters REACT, as if the film itself isn't responsible for the kookiness. The kind of joke where a character says something not funny, and then there's a record scratch, and it shows all the other characters not laughing, and looking a bit awkward.

Magnum Valentino

Aye but lads you're reacting to a trailer which has been cut together using techniques designed specifically for this exact purpose, final films are often completyely misrepresented by their trailers and are well documented to have used completely different takes and everything.

Unless, BritishHobo, what you're saying is you wanted to like the trailer itself in which case I've picked up what you've said differently and incorrectly.

Like that record scratch thing, trailers do that. That's not a movie thing.