Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:05:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Suicide Squad.

Started by Glebe, August 23, 2020, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 08, 2021, 10:31:36 AM
I heard he's an arsehole unfortunately

Well, that's me convinced

Mister Six

He's also probably going to die 20 minutes in.

mothman

What's the sourcing/reasoning on Filion's assholeability, out of interest? I seem to recall there was some dubiousness about how Castle ended up being cancelled, something about Stana Katic being fired at his behest (not sure though)?

Custard

Apparently they didn't get on at all, and he said it's me or her. Allegedly, etc

mothman

Yeah, it's possible he may have failed to fully consider the ramifications of removing 50% of the above-the-line cast and thus (what was, after seven years) the central defining relationship of the show. Was he planning to just have Castle latch onto another hot policewoman and start again from scratch?

phantom_power

Not exactly a smoking gun though

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He accused her of being a dirty rascal.

mothman

Quote from: phantom_power on April 09, 2021, 12:26:46 PM
Not exactly a smoking gun though

I'm keeping an open mind. I liked him in that Uncharted fan film. Even post-Whedon I'm predisposed to look fondly upon Serenity/Firefly. I did see when he started that show about a middle-aged rookie cop and think "Really? That's what you're doing? O-kayyy..."

phantom_power

The Rookie is really good fun. Part of that is his natural charm I think but it has some good characters and is decent episodic TV. I am working my way through Castle and that is similarly watchable.

Butchers Blind

This was great fun, a real popcorn movie as they say and great way to get back into the cinema. Just the right amount of gore and humour to make it work. Might have been served better by not having Harley Quinn in the cast if there was a fault.

up_the_hampipe

Despite my misgivings from the trailer, there's a few people I really like in this film and it intrigues me. Do I need to see the shite 2016 film to understand what's going on? How much is it a 'sequel' really?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 30, 2021, 06:24:22 PM
Despite my misgivings from the trailer, there's a few people I really like in this film and it intrigues me. Do I need to see the shite 2016 film to understand what's going on? How much is it a 'sequel' really?

Although it has a couple of the same cast it is in no way related to the other one.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Butchers Blind on July 30, 2021, 06:29:03 PM
Although it has a couple of the same cast it is in no way related to the other one.

Great! I will go see it this weekend.

Mister Six

It's a soft reboot, so technically in the same world and continuity as the other one for those that care, but can be treated as a completely independent film.

Small Man Big Horse

I was vaguely tempted to see this as I'm fond of James Gunn, but it debuts on HBO Max next Friday so will be available then, and as I'm a cheapskate criminal I'm more than happy to wait.

mothman

I keep thinking I should watch the first one for some reason, but I cannot be arsed. I may even have it already, on a disc somewhere. Might just try the new one though.

mothman

... and it turns out it's on Netflix. So I watched it. Bit uneven. A lot uneven, er, even. Definitely trying too hard, especially at the start. Like a fucking series of music videos - suddenly they start playing a new song, presumably ironically. Actually better CGI than I've come to expect from a DCEU. Why can't Jared Leto just fuck off and die? Surely someone must have taken the opportunity to suggest it to him at some point.

bgmnts

Quote from: mothman on July 31, 2021, 12:23:05 AM
... and it turns out it's on Netflix. So I watched it. Bit uneven. A lot uneven, er, even. Definitely trying too hard, especially at the start. Like a fucking series of music videos - suddenly they start playing a new song, presumably ironically. Actually better CGI than I've come to expect from a DCEU. Why can't Jared Leto just fuck off and die? Surely someone must have taken the opportunity to suggest it to him at some point.

You'd think they'd have learnt their lesson.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: bgmnts on July 31, 2021, 12:51:56 AM

Ridley Scott hasn't. Jared's all over that new Gucci movie.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on July 31, 2021, 12:51:56 AM

Mothman's talking about the first one.

bgmnts

Ha! Genuinely thought they just copy and pasted the first film.

So low are my expectations.

mothman

Note my comments below are about my impressions of Suicide Squad (aka SS). I haven't seen THE Suicide Squad (aka TSS) yet and should probably start avoiding this thread until I've, er, acquired it via the same means as SMBH!

I noticed Butcher's comment about not needing HQ in the sequel, and I was pondering whether she is actually a problem with the series concept (or at least SS) full stop. Sure she's a breakout character, apparently quite popular, and in isolation amusing (YMMV here). But does her inclusion come at the cost of the overall film? Where is her arc?

All the other characters have an arc in SS - to varying degrees, as it is the film is verging on having too many characters to serve them all adequately and I wonder how that'll work in TSS as there appear to be even more (unless some of them die quickly and comedically as some have predicted earlier in the thread).

But HQ starts off crazy and stays crazy. She does random things, interjects funny one liners into dialogue scenes, and that's it. There's a parallel/flashback arc showing her relationship with the Joker but that's not character building, just character establishment. It's not showing how she gets from A to B in the film, just how she started at A to begin with.

Of course it could also be said that Amanda Waller has no character arc in SS either, she starts as a cold amoral manipulative bitch, and stays one. No A to B. Only with her there's no flashbacks to establish how she's A.

phantom_power

Not everyone needs an arc. Some characters are just catalysts or instigators

Alberon

Quote from: mothman on July 31, 2021, 12:23:05 AM

The director has effectively disowned it

Quote"I put my life into 'Suicide Squad,'" he writes. "I made something amazing. My cut is intricate and emotional journey with some bad people who are shit on and discarded (a theme that resonates in my soul). The studio cut is not my movie. Read that again."

"And my cut is not the 10 week director's cut – it's a fully mature edit by Lee Smith standing on the incredible work by John Gilroy. It's all Steven Price's brilliant score, with not a single radio song in the whole thing. It has traditional character arcs, amazing performances, a solid third-act resolution," he adds. "A handful of people have seen it. If someone says they have seen it, they haven't."

He mentions coming home to his kids after the studio took hold of his edit "with my heart torn out," before wrapping up by saying this is the last time he'll speak publicly on this matter.

Whether his cut is a good movie is anyone's guess. Seems silly not to stick it out on the streaming services if his version pretty much exists already.

beanheadmcginty

How is Stallone in this? He's the only reason I'm considering watching.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 31, 2021, 11:25:05 AM
How is Stallone in this? He's the only reason I'm considering watching.

Nanaue/King Shark has some funny moments in the film and only realised it was voiced by Stallone watching the end credits.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: mothman on July 31, 2021, 09:53:45 AM
I noticed Butcher's comment about not needing HQ in the sequel, and I was pondering whether she is actually a problem with the series concept (or at least SS) full stop. Sure she's a breakout character, apparently quite popular, and in isolation amusing (YMMV here). But does her inclusion come at the cost of the overall film? Where is her arc?

You could've taken HQ out of TSS and replaced her with another female character and the film really wouldn't have lost anything I think, others may disagree.

BritishHobo

Good laugh that. Basically does everything the first film did wrong, right. I wish I'd gone to see it on one of yer bug Superscreens, as parts of it were really visually engaging in a way most superhero films aren't.

The one flaw was they really
Spoiler alert
wasted Peter Capaldi. Quite odd flaw as well, as he's actually in it loads, has a largd amount of screen-time - it's just that they barely give him any lines, so he spends most of it silently looking at whoever is currently talking. Sad, as his speech near the end is cracking.
[close]

Kelvin

I categorically refuse to believe this is good. I've just watched the trailers again and it looks absolutely embarrassing. Were the trailers really so unrepresentative of the comedy?

No. The rest of the world must be wrong.

Magnum Valentino

I'm with you Kelvin. It's not good. It has a few good constituent parts but it's just as ephemeral as the rest of these films and like Guardians 2, it can't decide whether it wants to lampoon comic book films or be one. James Gunn loses more of his nerve with each passing film.