Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:49:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Batman (2021)

Started by VelourSpirit, August 23, 2020, 04:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelourSpirit

love the emo look it's so good
they filmed in glasgow and liverpool apparently, looks to be lending the film a great atmosphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOp_6uPccQ

Kelvin

Looks incredible. I must have watched the trailer fifty times already. Which is only four times less than I saw BvS in cinemas. I'm not exactly objective when it comes to Batman.   

Butchers Blind

Dark. Must have dark. Another dark take on Batman. Dark.

Povidone

So we getting The Riddler this time then?

Looks visually distinctive but cant help finding it odd to see yet another depiction of batman. I know DC can always write it off as a multiverse thing but I find something really pompous in the way they mythologise their characters. Maybe wouldnt feel so negatively towards it if there werent years of Zack Snyder's 'vision' to try and forget.

Custard

Did he have to hit that bloke fifty times to make his point? Proper hard Batman should've dropped him in one. Then screamed "IM THE BATMAN EVERYBODY"

Yeah, The Riddler this time. Paul Dano, I think. Nice

BritishHobo

I saw them setting up 'Gotham' opposite the World Museum in Liverpool back in March. Apparently due to the outbreak they've only been able to film about 30% of it. What they've got looks fucking great though. Not normally too arsed by Batman, but this looks like they're really going in on what an unbalanced maniac he is, dressing up and going out in the dead of night to cripple people and break their bones.

Custard

Yeah, Matt Reeves is saying it's more focused on the detective side of the character, which sounds fresh and interesting

It is a bit worrying that they seem to be crowbarring in several other characters though, such as Catwoman, Penguin, Falcone. There's even rumours of Bane. For a first film in a new series that feels like overkill. But then Reeves is really good, so we'll see

Gulftastic

'Gotham', the TV show is the best attempt at portraying the madness of the world of Batman. Shame the guy who played the Riddler in that didn't get the gig in the film.

And they should have had Sean Pertwee as Alfred. Nobody can 'Master Bruce' like him.

kalowski

"Who the hell are you supposed to be?"

Why does every Batman film seem to be introducing him for the first time? Is it just so he can say, "I'm [the] Batman."

Custard

I know most of the time the director doesn't have say over the trailer, but the use of such an obvious Nirvana song made me sigh. It's pure Snyder. Buuuuut, it's a decent trailer, with enough there to be interested in and feel excited about.

I think Jeffrey Wright will be a great Gordon. Not sure about Pattinson yet, as he looks a bit emo, but I'm glad they showed him smashing someone's face in, Batfleck style. I was worried this Bats wouldn't be needlessly murderous enough

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 23, 2020, 10:39:14 AMAnd they should have had Sean Pertwee as Alfred. Nobody can 'Master Bruce' like him.
Eh, I really don't like the Caine/Pertwee approach of making Alfred a typical "cor blimey, guv'nor" cockney, which it seems Serkis is following. Much prefer the Alan Napier or Michael Gough style.

Bazooka

Imagine if all the footage in the trailer is the whole of the last few minutes of the film, and in reality this is an origins story where the other two hours is showing his parents being mugged and killed at -250%  speed.

Povidone

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 23, 2020, 10:13:17 AM
Did he have to hit that bloke fifty times to make his point? Proper hard Batman should've dropped him in one. Then screamed "IM THE BATMAN EVERYBODY"

Yeah, The Riddler this time. Paul Dano, I think. Nice

That's a good shout, lad can do that creepy, wounded thing that would work really well for The Riddler. I hope it ends with Bats stoving his head in with a bowling pin.

Need to find the article that mentioned it but when they were clarifying all this multiverse business there was a reference to 'year 2 Batman' which seems to tally with what they're doing here, not an origin story but still establishing the character within his world, more focus on actual detective work. Definitely good choice, just would be more interested if they hadnt already saturated the market with gritty batmens.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Bazooka on August 23, 2020, 11:32:33 AM
Imagine if all the footage in the trailer is the whole of the last few minutes of the film, and in reality this is an origins story where the other two hours is showing his parents being mugged and killed at -250%  speed.

This is only the 17th Batman film, I'm sure they'll get round to depicting this after vol 21 or 22.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Povidone on August 23, 2020, 07:15:51 AM

Looks visually distinctive

I'm getting strong Fincher vibes, almost to the point of being derivative, in a trailer.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 23, 2020, 10:13:17 AM
Did he have to hit that bloke fifty times to make his point?

That bothered me too, but I know I need to come to terms with the fact that it's unlikely I'll ever see the Batman from the comics that I grew up with on screen, who while violent was never excessively so.

lipsink

Quote from: Bazooka on August 23, 2020, 11:32:33 AM

It's apparently set in Year Two of him being Batman so there'll be less origin stuff. Though that doesn't quite explain how the criminal doesn't know who he is.

I could quite easily see Phoenix's Joker fitting into that world. Though that would make that Joker quite old.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 23, 2020, 12:08:52 PM
That bothered me too, but I know I need to come to terms with the fact that it's unlikely I'll ever see the Batman from the comics that I grew up with on screen, who while violent was never excessively so.

I think this is because there was a bit of a "not that guy from Twilight!" reaction for like 5 minutes after Pattinson was announced, so of course there's been a year long " actually, the guy from Good Times will be great" response. This bit is so those people can tweet "oh, check out the "wimpy" Twilight guy now!" and also regurgitate something Matt Reeves said about " emphasising the detective aspects", because we love to do marketing work for huge corporations for free these days.

I could certainly be won over by later trailers, but this just looks really unappealing to me, and I don't really get why people who are (justifiably) making fun of Snyder's "this is for grown ups" comments and/or had a dart board with the one sheet for Joker on it for six months seem to be cock-a-hoop over this slab of grimdarkness. I mean a slowed down Nirvana cover, really? Yes, Matt Reeves ' Apes films were good, but he's not a proven auteur yet.

The Bumlord

Nice to see Trevor from EastEnders there.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 23, 2020, 06:17:41 AMDark. Must have dark. Another dark take on Batman. Dark.

Yes, this one is so dark they have cast actual black people.

21st Century battman.

Goldentony

kind of into him punching the guy in the face about 50 odd times in one go. Hate the Purge style (or Batman Forever style if you want) face paint on those arseholes he destroys. Tumblr shit. Fan art level, get rid. Riddler looks good and taping peoples faces up and that, aye sound.

Whoevers doing Alfred sounds like Uncle Albert doing that I WET MESELF monologue from Only Fools And Horses

This looks good though. Odd sexy Batman, yeah whatever. More of that, less Michael Mann and less of whatever fucking Ben Affleck was.

Nirvana tune is a curious one though, reminded me of what they did with Ghost In The Shell and Suicide Squad, ala when they take an old song and make it Dubstep or Folk and doing a shit version with both in the process, like the opposite of those "wwwOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo" bass noises you get at the start of scenes in trailers when they fade in and out for seconds each. Modern trailers though I suppose

The Mollusk

Yeah that Nirvana cover was a heap of mawkish sugar-coated cum.

Glebe

Been jonesing for a trailer for this for yonks... looking proper dark and weird. Bats going Fight Club on the Joker thug dude just kind of reinforces the billionaire-beating-up-petty-street-thugs thing. I guess he's still young and they're going to have Alfred teach him not to seek vengeance and all of that.

'Something in the Way' is a surprizing tune to use, reckon they're trying to get across that 'this is a totally different Batman movie like you've never seen before!' Chimes oddly with Peter Sarsgaard compering the movie to a Pixies gig.

It's weird that Batman just hangs out with the police (as he does in some of the comics and in The Dark Knight), Surely somebody's gonna call in a big armed response unit and he's gonna be forced to take off his mask or summit.... only in real life I guess. Not in the movies, folks!

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 23, 2020, 10:13:17 AMYeah, The Riddler this time. Paul Dano, I think. Nice

Read that as Paul Danan at first. I mean, it could still be him.

PlanktonSideburns

Wouldn't it be cool if one day they did a really dark, brooding bleak take on batuman

Kelvin

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 23, 2020, 06:04:02 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if one day they did a really dark, brooding bleak take on batuman

People say this, but the Burton/Shumacher films are all schlocky fun, and there's no end of lighter Batman content away from the films. it's only really post-Nolan that we've got the darker film stuff, and it just fundamentally suits the character.

For me, it's less about the dark tone, more about the pursuit of realism. Personally, I don't really want a lighter take on the material, even if I would like a vision that was less grounded and more "Comic-booky". The world and character of Batman, while versatile, just really suits a brooding, dark vision.

Custard

The funniest part about him beating up the gang member, is the two completely unnecessary digs he chucks in when the bloke is already on the floor

People say this this trailer looks all grimdark, but that's straight from the gasman episode of Bottom

Puce Moment

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 23, 2020, 06:56:34 PM
The funniest part about him beating up the gang member, is the two completely unnecessary digs he chucks in when the bloke is already on the floor

People say this this trailer looks all grimdark, but that's straight from the gasman episode of Bottom

I'm struggling to discern between this and those Nolan plops  - the definition of 'dark' seems to have been hijacked by Hollywood with its faux-dark emo shit.

Will they ever ask directors like Justin Kurzel or Lynne Ramsay to have a go at this?

Goldentony

batman punching people as hard and over the top as possible is great, if you're up against loads of teddy boys and you fuck the main one in so bad he has to crawl to the Maisonettes gig with Matchbox and Darts supporting  the others will go aye fuck that

Thomas

I wonder how long the title committee went back and forth over including 'The'. Bet they stretched it out. The title people are paid by the hour.