Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Batman (2021)

Started by VelourSpirit, August 23, 2020, 04:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 23, 2020, 10:14:09 PM
EDIT: They didn't use that part of the song. Nevermind.
Hope it ends up as a major riddle-related plot point in the film though.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 23, 2020, 11:02:48 PMIn this they actually show that he's wearing eyeshadow when he takes off his cowl.
That's unrelated eyeshadow.

Quote from: madhair60 on August 24, 2020, 12:37:07 AM
It's like when people make the incredible revelatory point that Bruce Wayne should use his wealth and influence to change Gotham's infrastructure and support people that way. He does. He always has.
I think most people recognise now that the problem lies with his lack of effective evaluation framework that actually affects his future decision-making. As usual, the comics refuse to seriously engage with this.

bgmnts

Batman hasn't been on film for about 6 hours.

Getting edgy, I need constant Batman piped into my eyes.

Custard

To be fair though, by the time this comes out it will be the first Batman solo film in 9 years, and the first proper go at a new run of films since Nolan's

It'll be refreshing just to see him free of all the DCU bullshit

Zetetic

I doubt it's possible to fit more than about three satisfying riddles in an action film shorter than 3 hours, but I'm open to being proved wrong.

Goldentony

also im not having the Burton films as schlock, they're daft but they both have cunts being fried alive, one with a major villain more or less sucking the main villains fat evil cock as they backflip into a transformer (the electrical thing not a fucking robot)

Kelvin

Quote from: Goldentony on August 24, 2020, 01:35:24 AM
also im not having the Burton films as schlock, they're daft but they both have cunts being fried alive, one with a major villain more or less sucking the main villains fat evil cock as they backflip into a transformer (the electrical thing not a fucking robot)

Schlock was the wrong word, couldn't think of a better one. They're just more fantastical, more whimsical, even though, as you say, they've still got an edge. And even in them, Batman's not a quippy happy chappy.

Kelvin

Goldentony

ah yes, agreed

still hope this one has long sequences of people getting fucked in, really want more of that, really upsetting Robocop stuff, series 2 of Miami Vice, the Cluedo tv series

beanheadmcginty

Just realised that the letters W M are the ones that most look like the silhouettes of bats when written down and that's why all the important words in Batman comics contain lots of W and Ms.

Kelvin

and B looks like a bat's ears

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 24, 2020, 12:17:07 AM
Watching the trailer again, the extended beatdown on blokey feels really out of place with the rest of it. Though apparently Reeves is a big fan of Affleck's version, so I guess it makes sense he'd want something along the same lines in the trailer, however jarring. And as another poster pointed out, maybe it's there to show the doubters that Billy Twilight can throw fists too

If those are Jokers gang members, and they very much look like they are, does that mean there'll be another version of Joker in this too? Already? At this rate there'll be no one left for the next film. Man-Bat?

I suspect the film will open with Bats having just pummeled the Joker and dragged him off to Arkham (off camera) and the story begins with him facing down the Joker's leftover goons and beating the crap out of that one guy as a way to encourage the others to wash their faces and go home - with the side benefit that, having firmly established right at the start of the film that this is a Batman Who Punches, the next two hours can focus on him brooding / driving around / checking out clues before the final punch up.

madhair60

Oh dear. I got angry about Batman again didn't I.

lipsink

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 24, 2020, 12:17:07 AM
If those are Jokers gang members, and they very much look like they are, does that mean there'll be another version of Joker in this too? Already? At this rate there'll be no one left for the next film. Man-Bat?

The guy he punches has the Glasgow smile drawn on his face but the rest don't, do they? One guy has half his face drawn white which calls to mind Two Face. I think they're just gang members with references to Batman baddies to get the fans talking. I don't think we'll see Harvey Dent or Joker until the next film at least.

In one of the animated series they had a gang who did themselves up to look like the Joker as a tribute. Sons of Joker, was it?

wooders1978

Whatever happens in the film I hope they explain how he became batman as it's all a bit of a mystery

SavageHedgehog

Puce Moment

Quote from: magval on August 23, 2020, 09:03:41 PMWhat's more likely is they'll see a Lynne Ramsey film about a guy with social anxieties, an unusual relationship with his mother and a penchant for violence and just nick it, star and all.

But are these films in the same cinematic universe? That's the really important question. Need my films in the same universe mate.

Zetetic

Quote from: wooders1978 on August 24, 2020, 12:41:46 PM
Whatever happens in the film I hope they explain how he became batman as it's all a bit of a mystery
Would you say it is sort of a riddle?

Custard

There was a gang in Batman Beyond who modelled themselves on The Joker, and called themselves, erm, The Jokers

I think Joker himself thought they were twats

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 24, 2020, 02:57:01 PM
There was a gang in Batman Beyond who modelled themselves on The Joker, and called themselves, erm, The Jokers

I think Joker himself thought they were twats
The Jokerz. Because they were edgy.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on August 23, 2020, 11:00:23 PM
I suppose that is quite a long while (although I don't agree with the "plops" bit, several of those films are really good), I just think the problem is that the realistic aesthetic is getting tiresome now, and it would be nice to see something more heightened again - like Affleck's version, if those films and characterisation weren't a mess.

Yeah, I was being a bit unfair with "plops" - just expressing my boredom and frustration with the urge to make every Batman "grittier" and grimmer than the rest. Batfleck was exactly this same kind of scowling, hyper-violent cunt, only transposed into a sillier universe (that was nevertheless also showing and hyper-violent when he was on screen, until Whedon's reshoots dramatically and unconvincingly attempted a tonal 180.

That said, I don't actually rate most of the Batman films since Burton took the helm. Some are passable ('89 Batman, Begins), some are shite (the Schumachers, DKR, the Batflecks), all are flawed and a bit naff with the exception of Batman Returns, which is bonkers and fun, and The Dark Knight, which is a masterpiece of mainstream superheroics.

Quote from: madhair60 on August 24, 2020, 12:37:07 AM
It pisses me off mate, it's such a lazy criticism. Batman has always been dark/grim, the kid-friendly stuff is the outlier. Even Batman TAS, ostensibly a kids' show, is darker than fuck compared to contemporaries. The comics have been dark for decades, that's what I want, that's what I read, and I actually read them.

Bollocks, there's been plenty of variation in tone ever since the Silver Age wrapped up, most notably with Grant Morrison's fantastic run that contained lots of twisted horrific stuff, plus moments like this:

Right now the DCU is being attacked by a multiverse of Batmen, including a T-rex Batman and a monster truck Batman...

I mean, the actual comic is shit, but whatever.

We've had "realistic" grim Batman on our screens for 15 years now, through the Nolan films, then Batfleck (who was in a silly universe but was himself all scowly and violent and horrible), and the Daredevil Netflix show.[nb]Which - being about a dude who, being scarred after proud dad was killed by criminals, then went and travelled around the world to learn martial arts from ninjas so he could return to his corrupt home city to clean it up, only to find himself in a complicated relationship with the woman fated to lead the ninja clan, which also happens to have the ability to resurrect the dead - is basically a Batman show.[/nb]

I'm glad you're looking forward to it, and I'm sure it'll be great because Reeves, Pattinson and Wright are all very, very good at what they do. But I'm burned out on this kind of tone for this kind of character, and especially disinterested in seeing those fucking pearls tumbling in slow motion for the 500th time.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A truly realistic (The) Batman would see him killed almost instantly.

Mister Six

Yeah, and he'd have broken his hand beating that dude to death in the trailer.

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on August 24, 2020, 03:39:41 PM

Right now the DCU is being attacked by a multiverse of Batmen, including a T-rex Batman and a monster truck Batman...

Isn't this exactly what that Spider-Verse movie was all about?

Mister Six

Yeah but this time the Batmen/dinosaurs/trucks are EVIL!

It's a shit, stupid comic even by the standards it's setting itself, but the point is that this notion that Batman comics have all been moody and soul-crushingly grim since the Neal Adams era is bollocks.

Custard

You can giggle at The Jokerz all you like, but don't tell me you wouldn't poo your pants if you saw this lot approaching

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/batman/images/7/70/Jokerz.jpg

(On phone, so can't do IMG tags)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

R Pats is a bit nifty as a bat.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Mister Six on August 24, 2020, 03:39:41 PM
We've had "realistic" grim Batman on our screens for 15 years now, through the Nolan films, then Batfleck (who was in a silly universe but was himself all scowly and violent and horrible), and the Daredevil Netflix show.[nb]Which - being about a dude who, being scarred after proud dad was killed by criminals, then went and travelled around the world to learn martial arts from ninjas so he could return to his corrupt home city to clean it up, only to find himself in a complicated relationship with the woman fated to lead the ninja clan, which also happens to have the ability to resurrect the dead - is basically a Batman show.[/nb]

Is Arrow also basically a Batman show? I watched the first episode, and couldn't quite get past the "but he's just Batman" factor, maybe it developed after that.

First two seasons of Gotham were good fun, and a mile away from the grimdarkess I feared (while still not really for kids). Kind of hit the highlights of the rogues gallery by then though, and I found the third season a bit flat as a result. Will still get round to the other two at some point mind.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 24, 2020, 04:54:00 PM
Is Arrow also basically a Batman show? I watched the first episode, and couldn't quite get past the "but he's just Batman" factor, maybe it developed after that.

First two seasons of Gotham were good fun, and a mile away from the grimdarkess I feared (while still not really for kids). Kind of hit the highlights of the rogues gallery by then though, and I found the third season a bit flat as a result. Will still get round to the other two at some point mind.
The Green Arrow that I remember from the comics was a rich boy like Batman, albeit one with slightly leftie (by American standards) leanings. Didn't, on returning from his desert island sojourn, he flog his company off and give most of the profit to charity?

The TV show ditched that and I can see the Batman parallels with stuff like a hi-tech hideout, Alfred figure (Diggle) and youthful sidekick(s). Even the lass who turned out to be his love interest in the end was basically a version of Oracle from Batman.   

thugler

I think it looks too similar to the Nolan ones apart from a younger bruce. But difficult to tell much from that.

Mister Six

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 24, 2020, 04:54:00 PM

I dunno, I only watched the pilot of Arrow and thought it was shite so sacked off the whole thing. All of the Arrowverse shows seem like low-budget, half-assed shit with the exception of Legends of Tomorrow, which I love (provided one skips the first season).

Gotham, I think I watched the trailer, realised it wasn't an adaptation of Gotham Central, and decided to sack the whole thing off.