Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:34:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Batman (2021)

Started by VelourSpirit, August 23, 2020, 04:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

honestly glad he's just killing people without mercy rather than doing jokes or going UHHH I MEAN...

bgmnts

I would pay anything to watch a Batman film where Batman puts a gun to a villains head and pulls the trigger. Just blows his brains out all over the snow covered Gotham street.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on August 24, 2020, 03:52:03 PM
Yeah but this time the Batmen/dinosaurs/trucks are EVIL!

It's a shit, stupid comic even by the standards it's setting itself, but the point is that this notion that Batman comics have all been moody and soul-crushingly grim since the Neal Adams era is bollocks.

Based on your last few posts, I think we've been slightly at cross purposes. I have no problem with the films showing a much more OTT Gotham, with living dinosaurs, or whatever other mad shit they want to add. I just want the character of Batman to remain angry and brooding within that world (as he is within all the comic versions you've cited), and for the tone to still have an edge, even if it is fundamentally sillier. As said upthread, the Burton films, despite being much more whimsical than the post Nolan films still had a certain grittiness, and a pensive Batman at their centre.

Mister Six

Oh sure, broody Batman is great. It's the overall tone of the trailer that I'm tired of. All that sickly colour grading and overblown portentousness, everyone looking miserable in gloomy rooms, scowling at sinister messages and sporadically erupting in extreme violence.

Gloomy (Bruce Wayne) Batman is great, and a lot more fun when he's taking absurd shit ultra-seriously. Although I wouldn't mind them swapping in slightly more chipper Dick Greyson as Batman in some future franchise, as in Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin. The idea of having Greyson as a lighter Batman and scowling little cunt Damian as Robin was a fun inversion of the usual dynamic, and Morrison pulled it off beautifully.

I'm also rather tired of Batman films banging on about his parents because it has to be psychologically reeeeeeaaaalllll, as though the idea of a billionaire chasing a clown around all night while the police nod approvingly measures up to any level of psychological plausibility.

mjwilson

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 24, 2020, 01:00:14 AM
To be fair though, by the time this comes out it will be the first Batman solo film in 9 years, and the first proper go at a new run of films since Nolan's

3 years. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4116284/

lipsink

Lego Batman movie had an absolutely fantastic opening 20 minutes but after that was just a bit disappointing. It's like the character is a bit one-joke and they found it difficult stretching it out to an entire film. Are they doing a sequel?

SavageHedgehog

The second Lego Movie underperformed, as did the (lower budget) Lego Ninjago Movie so Warner Bros stopped production on the others they were working on, and the rights for Lego films are with Universal now. Probably not.

I loved Lego Batman, but it's a shame they didn't make more use of the Batman villains and brought in characters from other franchises.

Warners are planning a Funko Pop movie though, so maybe we have The Funko Batman Movie to look forward to.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on August 24, 2020, 06:25:21 PMI'm also rather tired of Batman films banging on about his parents because it has to be psychologically reeeeeeaaaalllll, as though the idea of a billionaire chasing a clown around all night while the police nod approvingly measures up to any level of psychological plausibility.

Taken to its logical extreme when "Robin" in Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises recognises that Bruce Wayne = Batman because of "that orphan glint in the eye". What a load of fucking pants that was.

I've liked a lot of the cartoon adaptations that are based directly on some of the better comics because they're not trying to fool anyone into liking a Batman story. If we're invoking Morrison, I think A Serious House on Serious Earth has a wealth of great imagery and genuinely disturbing conceits that "subvert" the traditional notion of superhero heroes and villains, but I can't imagine it being adapted in any way other than animation.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 24, 2020, 09:48:49 PM
Warners are planning a Funko Pop movie though, so maybe we have The Funko Batman Movie to look forward to.

Desolation.

QDRPHNC

The Culture Bunker

I've taken some slagging over the years for suggesting the Nolan Batman trilogy is "alright" at best. I enjoyed the first one, but both the Joker and Bane characters in the other two felt bland and generic to me, to the point you can have used a lot of their dialogue for a fair few other generic Batman films. They pretty much wasted Dent/Two-Face in the second one by having his heel turn happen too late on and then killing him off. Perhaps my take on the Joker is too much favouring the Nicholson/Hamill approach, but I'll never understand quite what Ledger did that was so remarkable.

Custard

Dr Rock

I think this looks good.

Jerzy Bondov

Wait a minute. Wait a fucking minute. Lads.

It's Trevor from EastEnders as a corrupt pre-Gordon Police Commissioner[nb]'Pete Savage' apparently, not Loeb[nb]Colin McFarlane in the Nolan ones! All pre-Gordon commissioners must be off British telly[/nb][/nb]. Nice one Trevor.

Jerzy Bondov

I wondered if Pete Savage was someone from the comics or what and it turns out he's from an episode of the 60s series called 'An Egg Grows in Gotham'. In this episode it's revealed that Gotham was founded by three families, the Savages, the Tylers and the Waynes[nb]In the comics it's the Waynes, the Cobblepots and the Elliots[/nb]. Their descendants are targeted by Egghead for some fucking reason, doesn't matter. Anyway based on this I can exclusively reveal that the main villain of The Batman will in fact be Egghead.

I could write for Den of Geek easily. It's absolute piss this. Five minutes on Google.

lipsink

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 25, 2020, 12:02:04 AM
Heh, turns out Colin Farrell's Penguin was in the trailer too

https://screenrant.com/batman-movie-trailer-colin-farrell-penguin-makeup-confirmed/

I keep seeing that picture and thinking it's Richard Kind with nasal cannula.

lipsink

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 25, 2020, 09:57:23 AM

It's Trevor from EastEnders as a corrupt pre-Gordon Police Commissioner[nb]'Pete Savage' apparently, not Loeb[nb]Colin McFarlane in the Nolan ones! All pre-Gordon commissioners must be off British telly[/nb][/nb]. Nice one Trevor.

I'm still recovering from the judge in Batman Begins being played by the pilot from Father Ted.

idunnosomename

They should do a Batman movie but it's a small child with their kagoul hood on their head running around the playground

The Culture Bunker

It's Trevor from EastEnders as a corrupt pre-Gordon Police Commissioner
I wonder if he got himself a new agent a couple of years ago, as he appeared in Chernobyl (wearing only a hat, in one scene) as the leader of the miners.

Bazooka

Batman has to swoop in and stop him from burning Little Mo with an iron.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: lipsink on August 25, 2020, 11:04:46 AM
I keep seeing that picture and thinking it's Richard Kind with nasal cannula.

They should have just cast him. Would have been cheaper.

I like the look of this, reminds me of the comics I read around the early 90s which had a more dark/detective tone, the first story I read featuring Batman running around trying to stop a serial killer who targets mixed race couples, and is being inspired by a Batman comic within the comic, very meta.

I'm wondering if I might find the exteriors a bit distracting, the ones shown in the trailer are very obviously (to me, anyway, having lived here and in the US) British buildings/scenery. Similar thing with the parts of Batman Begins that were shot in the UK. Subtle things like the windows and types of trees which I guess most won't notice.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 25, 2020, 02:08:19 PMI'm wondering if I might find the exteriors a bit distracting, the ones shown in the trailer are very obviously (to me, anyway, having lived here and in the US) British buildings/scenery. Similar thing with the parts of Batman Begins that were shot in the UK. Subtle things like the windows and types of trees which I guess most won't notice.
Seems to happen a bit - they did some filming for that Morbius film on Oldham Street in Manchester, standing in for New York I assume, last year and a fair bit of the 1940s NY scenes for the first Captain America were done around the same area.

dissolute ocelot

While overall it was a bit of a failure, The Fantabulous Blah Of Harley Quinn And The Blah Blah showed that you could do an edgy superhero film about fucked-up weirdos that wasn't filmed in near-total darkness and attempted to have some fun. But this seems to be back to the biggest cliches of how to do a dark film, i.e. make sure you can't see anything that's going on. Sigh.

PlanktonSideburns

A Mitchell brother looking on n all

Custard

Bloke who played Trevor is a genuinely good actor. Seen him in a few things over the years. Yet it's still bizarre to see him front and centre in a Batman trailer

Tune in next week when Zoe Tate bowls up as Wonder Woman's sister

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 25, 2020, 04:59:31 PM
Bloke who played Trevor is a genuinely good actor. Seen him in a few things over the years. Yet it's still bizarre to see him front and centre in a Batman trailer

Tune in next week when Zoe Tate bowls up as Wonder Woman's sister

Think shes brown bread mate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50069971

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on August 24, 2020, 03:39:41 PM
Bollocks, there's been plenty of variation in tone ever since the Silver Age wrapped up, most notably with Grant Morrison's fantastic run that contained lots of twisted horrific stuff

yes, to the extent that I (and anyone, really) would classify that run as extremely dark overall.

Consignia

It's Trevor from EastEnders ...

More like Trevor Eve from a trip to the pie factory.

Glebe

New Rockstars have done a trailer breakdown, which is worth a look.

I thought I'd read that this was supposed to be set in the '90s, obviously not seeing as people have smartphones in the trailer.

badaids

Anyway, I've always been fascinated by and wondered about The Batman.  How did he become the Batman?  Did he have any parents or anything?  I wish someone would explain it.