Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League

Started by samadriel, August 23, 2020, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

https://youtu.be/70pnfnH3Afo

No gameplay yet, probably too early to start a thread, doesn't it say it's due in '22? Whatever, fun trailer.

El Unicornio, mang

Some really excellent facial expressions, particularly when
Spoiler alert
Evil Superman kills the pilot
[close]
. Would definitely give this a go although hard to tell just from a cut scene. Seems odd having a trailer 2 years before release.

Glebe

Looks fun... the DC Fandome thing has also given us a tease for Gotham Knights.

My Acer Aspire 5 laptop doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, but I took a chance and purchased a Steam key for Arkham Knight (legally, off Gamesplanet) a while ago. Rather predictably, it didn't run properly, even the main screen stuttered like fuck, even after adjusting the settings and everything. So I emailed Gamesplanet and explained the situation, even though I had already installed the thing they rather kindly agreed to give me credit, so I ended up buying Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, which was apparently developed for hand-held devices and ported over, it's actually entertaining enough just for what it is (I also used my credit to buy the non-remastered version of Final Fantasy VIII, which I just completed the other day!).

Mister Six

I know the trailer's fun, and it's hard to tell what the game actually is from it, but it's actually made me a little unsure about the final game. When it was announced that Rocksteady were doing a Suicide Squad game, I was pretty excited, imagining something along the lines of Arkham City but with a more diverse cast and smarter atttiude. But I get a gnawing feeling from this trailer that it's going to end up being a Left 4 Dead-type four-player co-op shoot 'em up thing with sporadic Justice League bosses. We'll see. That's not my jam, though.

Consignia

It's impossible to tell anything about the game. I've seen lot's of speculation that it's a live service affair, a bit like that Avengers game that looks bobbins. I like the Arkham games, so if there's a hint of that style in this, I'm interested. But that trailer gave nothing.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on August 23, 2020, 09:09:46 PM
I know the trailer's fun, and it's hard to tell what the game actually is from it, but it's actually made me a little unsure about the final game. When it was announced that Rocksteady were doing a Suicide Squad game, I was pretty excited, imagining something along the lines of Arkham City but with a more diverse cast and smarter atttiude. But I get a gnawing feeling from this trailer that it's going to end up being a Left 4 Dead-type four-player co-op shoot 'em up thing with sporadic Justice League bosses. We'll see. That's not my jam, though.

Same here, especially with the other new Batman game being co-op, too. Both look great, and will be a ton of fun to play with mates, I'm sure. But it's hard not to wish at least one of them would put the focus on single player. 

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Glebe on August 23, 2020, 04:20:49 PM
Looks fun... the DC Fandome thing has also given us a tease for Gotham Knights.

My Acer Aspire 5 laptop doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, but I took a chance and purchased a Steam key for Arkham Knight (legally, off Gamesplanet) a while ago. Rather predictably, it didn't run properly, even the main screen stuttered like fuck, even after adjusting the settings and everything. So I emailed Gamesplanet and explained the situation, even though I had already installed the thing they rather kindly agreed to give me credit, so I ended up buying Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, which was apparently developed for hand-held devices and ported over, it's actually entertaining enough just for what it is (I also used my credit to buy the non-remastered version of Final Fantasy VIII, which I just completed the other day!).

You're not missing much, Arkham Knight is really lacking if you don't have the nostalgia of the first two (Origins optional though it's a cracker) to go on, and it's frankly an absolutely shite port so even if you had a dedicated card you most likely couldn't run it anyway. I have a Biggenputer Loudenboomer I use for rendering 4k 3D images and VR gameplay on the regular and yet it struggles with Arkham Shite because of the crummy port. It was infamous at launch and it's still not a good port, just a tolerable one.

Glebe

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 24, 2020, 02:20:20 AMYou're not missing much, Arkham Knight is really lacking if you don't have the nostalgia of the first two (Origins optional though it's a cracker) to go on, and it's frankly an absolutely shite port so even if you had a dedicated card you most likely couldn't run it anyway. I have a Biggenputer Loudenboomer I use for rendering 4k 3D images and VR gameplay on the regular and yet it struggles with Arkham Shite because of the crummy port. It was infamous at launch and it's still not a good port, just a tolerable one.

I should add that I've got meself an XBox One now, and am looking forward to getting Arkham Knight for that!

Mister Six

Picked up Asylum, City and Knight (but not origins) as a bundle for about $15 on the PS4 sale. Played and loved the first two, but not the latter two, so a bit miffed that Knight is a bit pants, as I thought Origins was supposed to be the crap one. Will it make sense if I haven't played Origins?

magval

Origins isn't considered a part of the same story. It was made by a different team and takes place before Asylum. It is brilliant though, great atmosphere (it's set on Christmas Eve so it's all snowy and brown) and really far far better than a gap-filler game ought to be. Similar to Fallout New Vegas in that way - it's arguably a better use of the tools used to make it than the people who designed them managed.

Kelvin

Yes, I actually really like Origins, even if it's the most derivative in terms of items, missions, etc. There's less filler than the original Arkham, and a better plot than City. None of those games are perfect, they all have pretty major issues in one area or another, but Origins does feel better structured than the others.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 24, 2020, 02:20:20 AM
You're not missing much, Arkham Knight is really lacking if you don't have the nostalgia of the first two (Origins optional though it's a cracker) to go on, and it's frankly an absolutely shite port so even if you had a dedicated card you most likely couldn't run it anyway. I have a Biggenputer Loudenboomer I use for rendering 4k 3D images and VR gameplay on the regular and yet it struggles with Arkham Shite because of the crummy port. It was infamous at launch and it's still not a good port, just a tolerable one.

My 3 year-old gaming laptop (with a 6GB GTX1060) runs Arkham Knight smoothly at 1080p, with everything maxed out except for the demanding Nvidia physics stuff which can half the framerate. Since they withdrew it and then patched it up it's a huge amount better, still not perfect but it's about on par with most PC ports now.

madhair60

Each successive game in the Arkham series* makes the previous one basically redundant, and they start at a solid 8/10 which should tell you just how fucking good Arkham Knight is. I'll never understand people slagging that game off, it's joyous.

*Blackgate doesn't count

AsparagusTrevor

Yes, the non-Batmobile bits are more refined and fun as anything that came before. The non-Batmobile combat feels spot-on and the non-Batmobile stealth sections are enjoyably tense. The non-Batmobile traversal across the city is smooth and satisfying and the non-Batmobile boss-fights are creative and interesting. In fact just whole non-Batmobile gameplay is top notch.

madhair60

God I loved the Batmobile stuff so much

Jerzy Bondov

You don't need to say anything in Arkham Knight's favour beyond: John Noble Scarecrow.

Fuck multiplayer by the way. If this and Gotham Knights aren't cool superhero stories for me to play by myself they can get very much to fuck and not come back. The best superhero games are the Arkham series and Insomniac Spider-Man. I'll happily play endless superhero games in that style.

edit: There's some Gotham Knights gameplay here and the guy says you can play it on your own like a big sad fuck with no friends, and it looks the same as the Arkham games. Thanks.

Jerzy Bondov

I carried on watching the Gotham Knights footage and it's got big numbers over all the enemies so you know what level they are and big numbers pop out when you hit them so you know what damage you did, so it seems like they've slapped some RPG-lite progression BOLLOCKS on the top of my long awaited new Arkham-ish game. Nice graphics though :-)

Glebe

Yeah Origins was actually pretty great (loved the snowy winter setting) and it's the only one they've not remastered apparently.

H-O-W-L

It's because Rocksteady fucking hate it because they weren't involved, from my understanding. It is, however, a very cracking game.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah well you know what else Rocksteady hate? That's right, it's WOMEN

Consignia

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 24, 2020, 08:55:51 PM
Yeah well you know what else Rocksteady hate? That's right, it's WOMEN

No, they put a press release out. They've got institutional misogyny sorted. 

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Glebe on August 24, 2020, 05:37:23 PM
Yeah Origins was actually pretty great (loved the snowy winter setting) and it's the only one they've not remastered apparently.

Given the quality of the Asylum & City remasters it's probably a blessing they left out Origins.

Glebe

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 24, 2020, 11:23:12 PM
Given the quality of the Asylum & City remasters it's probably a blessing they left out Origins.

Crikey, really?!

Mister Six

Played a bit of the City remaster last night (to just after you beat Two Face) and it seemed identical but with nicer textures and lighting.

H-O-W-L

madhair60

The PS3 version looks nothing like that lmao, maybe high spec PC

Chriddof

The PS4 version (if it is that) at least has Batman looking less comically grimdark.

Spiteface

Is this the one where apparently you can't go after Batman or something? Sure I read that.

Some WWE/HHH-level bullshit from DC there.

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 25, 2020, 03:03:16 AM
Sorry but

They fucked it hard.

Played Arkham City's intro on PS4 the other day, and the shot of Strange leaning into camera looked nothing like that, so either they patched it up, someone mislabeled the screenshots, or those pics are just straight-up bollocks.

bgmnts

Is that better graphics or just better lighting?