Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

anyone own a harpsichord?

Started by PlanktonSideburns, August 23, 2020, 06:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Would love to have one

How much would I have to pay to get a basic one second hand?

NoSleep

Expensive and need lots of maintenance, I would guess. A cheap secondhand one would definitely cost you in repairs. And after all that all the notes play at the same volume no matter how hard or soft you hit the keys (as they're plucked).

Selecting a harpsichord preset is going to be the way to go.

PlanktonSideburns

I want to put a wig on and be mozart tho

PlanktonSideburns

Just moving into a house with a nice living room, it's dying for a 'chord in the corner

NoSleep

What would Mozart do if he was around today?

rue the polywhirl

Get a Roland harpsichord. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AP2cBXKgJw4 If Mozart was alive today he'd probably be burning his fingers across this here C-30 as a product ambassador. If you wanted second hand you could probably get one for 3k.

BlodwynPig

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: NoSleep on August 23, 2020, 06:32:10 PM
What would Mozart do if he was around today?

Fuck knows. Still want a harpsichord tho

Goldentony

What about a psaltery ike popular pasltery player Bob Stewart - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyUM6RXYUwI

recommended years ago by some satanic guy in a big velvet cloak

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 23, 2020, 07:12:24 PM
Clavinet >>> Harpsichord

https://youtu.be/vlLxAULuq9Y?t=30

Clav would be cool - can you turn the wah off and make perverted harpsichord sounds with it tho?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Goldentony on August 23, 2020, 07:53:33 PM
What about a psaltery ike popular pasltery player Bob Stewart - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyUM6RXYUwI

recommended years ago by some satanic guy in a big velvet cloak

Looks well satanic

gilbertharding

Th parents of some friends of mine were big noises in the Early Music scene, so they had viols, sackbuts, serpents etc by the dozen. I think they had a harpsichord, but it might have been a virginal. I had the odd prod at it, but half the notes seemed not to work.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 23, 2020, 08:50:01 PM
Th parents of some friends of mine were big noises in the Early Music scene, so they had viols, sackbuts, serpents etc by the dozen. I think they had a harpsichord, but it might have been a virginal. I had the odd prod at it, but half the notes seemed not to work.

Gryphon?

PaulTMA

The only person I've ever known who owns a harpsichord has transpired to be a nonce

PlanktonSideburns

If he's banged up is his harpsichord knocking about?

The Mollusk

I had one but it was doing my fucking head in so I chucked it in the canal

PlanktonSideburns

bet it made a great noise as it hit the water

idunnosomename

i've got a casio keyboard i got from argos many years ago. lots of fun rhythms and effects. and the demo mode with dvorak and beethoven

pancreas

Download Hauptwerk and the Cembalo Mieke 'organ' for it. It's a brilliant sampled harpsichord. Better than the Roland thing.

Glebe

Stoneage Dinosaurs

My uncle makes them and sells them professionally. I've been in his workshop once and it was pretty cool. Think he's one of the very very few UK ones who does that so I guess that's a sort of really rubbish claim to fame

PlanktonSideburns

Gonna get a casio sa 46 and nail it to a beurau instead

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 24, 2020, 01:33:18 AM
i've got a casio keyboard i got from argos many years ago. lots of fun rhythms and effects. and the demo mode with dvorak and beethoven

The one I got in the late 80's played wake me up before you go go, yours must be ancient if beethoven was the contemporary demo.

Ferris

No cunt actually owns a harpsichord you lunatic.

Just press "harpsichord" on your cheap Casio keyboard like the rest of us.

famethrowa

This is the fella you wanna get. As used on Different Drum, Both Sides Now (Judy version) and Because:

PaulTMA

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 23, 2020, 11:04:26 PM
If he's banged up is his harpsichord knocking about?

It was a guy who taught me keyboard for a few months in 1993.  He was the replacement for my original teacher who stopped due to ill health, so I had to be driven fairly long distances every Saturday to his house, which I found tedious, as was his lessons.  My mum was always waiting in the living room (it was miles out of town) while the lesson went on, so needless to say I did not get nonced.  Years later, he got done for having a considerable amount of stinky stuff on his hard drive.  "most of the images were of young boys partially dressed in erotic poses with no sexual activity", all that, he never got the clink or anything, just was put on the list and publicly shamed.  Anyway, when this was reported it appeared he still stayed at the same address, so I suppose it would still be possible to steal his harpsichord if I could morally justify doing so.

PlanktonSideburns