Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:31:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tesla

Started by zomgmouse, August 24, 2020, 07:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

New film from Michael Almereyda, a biopic about Nikola Tesla starring Ethan Hawke in the titular role and Kyle MacLachlan as Edison, with Jim Gaffigan as Westinghouse.

It's great. Very playful while also being reverent and informative. Also features
Spoiler alert
Ethan Hawke singing Tears for Fears
[close]
which oddly works perfectly.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 24, 2020, 07:11:37 AM
New film from Michael Almereyda, a biopic about Nikola Tesla starring Ethan Hawke in the titular role and Kyle MacLachlan as Edison, with Jim Gaffigan as Westinghouse.

It's great. Very playful while also being reverent and informative. Also features
Spoiler alert
Ethan Hawke singing Tears for Fears
[close]
which oddly works perfectly.

Hard to imagine how that spoilered bit comes about!

Didn't know about this though, cheers. Is Ethan Hawks better than David Bowie?

Shit Good Nose

Ironically watched Almereyda's Twister (which should be a LOT better than it is) and Nadja (which is still a bit rubs in my opinion) fairly recently.

He's a director that always has an interesting story but never seems to know what to do with it or the cast he has gathered to tell it.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 24, 2020, 08:15:20 AM
Hard to imagine how that spoilered bit comes about!

Didn't know about this though, cheers. Is Ethan Hawks better than David Bowie?

Honestly it's pretty deliberately anachronistic as a cutaway piece of mood footage; without spoiling too much the whole film is designed in a slightly meta way where the actual storytelling is almost accentuated and exaggerated. It's hard to describe without ruining the experience of watching it I think.

Bowie certainly brought the mystique but Hawke got the Frustrated Sad Boi Energy down pat.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 24, 2020, 07:08:48 PM
Ironically watched Almereyda's Twister (which should be a LOT better than it is) and Nadja (which is still a bit rubs in my opinion) fairly recently.

He's a director that always has an interesting story but never seems to know what to do with it or the cast he has gathered to tell it.

Marjorie Prime is his best I think.

dissolute ocelot

Just read that Almereyda made an adaptation of Shakespeare's Cymbeline about biker gangs. Sounds like he's still doing interesting things. I loved his Nadja back in the 1990s but lost sight of Almereyda until Marjorie Prime (which was a stageplay adaptation, so I'm not sure how Almeredya-esque it was, although it was very well done). I'll have to check this out. (I finally saw Another Girl Another Planet recently, by coincidence, which is a fun, short movie that has some great moments despite not really going anywhere. Will have to see if Tesla is more than a series of cool moments.)