Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

My top 5 Madonna songs

Started by kalowski, August 25, 2020, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

shagatha crustie

Borderline would be somewhere in mine, although it does make me feel like i'm wearing legwarmers in a gymnasium.

kalowski

Quote from: shagatha crustie on August 25, 2020, 03:20:56 PM
Borderline would be somewhere in mine, although it does make me feel like i'm wearing legwarmers in a gymnasium.
I have to admit, it's a great song.

The Mollusk

Dunno about top 5 but "Frozen" is probably my favourite. Absolutely incredible tune.

bgmnts

1. Vogue
2. Like a Prayer(Although I hate that random bit of guitar at the beginning)
3. Lucky Star
4. Dress You Up
5. Into the Groove

Wrote a lot of bangers mind, didn't she? Fair play to her.

rue the polywhirl

Don't really like any of them. Not a Madonna person.

jobotic

Holiday
Borderline
Into the Groove
What It Feels Like for a Girl
um...La Isla Bonita

Rizla

I went on a lil Madonna youtube binge not long ago. "Material Girl" was the first 7" I ever bought but it wouldn't make my top 5. I loved her early stuff, taped it off the radio and that.I  remember when True Blue came out, I thought "she's lost it". I was 10. When Like a Prayer came out 3 years later, an eternity, I was won back somewhat - I loved her hair in that era. Not really interested after that, I started listening to 60s and 70s music exclusively.

1. Borderline
2. Like a Virgin
3. Into the Groove
4. Holiday
5. Like a Prayer

The first two albums - Everybody/Holiday/Into The Groove/Like A Virgin/Material Girl etc.

I remember buying True Blue after school the day it came out and listening to it on the bus home thinking it was shit, it ended there with me. Although I'd say that Music is up there with the best, but really it's the Mirwais production that wins me over.

Not a big fan, but:

Vogue
Like a prayer
Ray of light
Material girl
Cherish

The Culture Bunker

Certainly my picks would all be from the earlier albums:

Lucky Star
Into the Groove
Holiday
Boderline
Crazy For You

Into the Groove is amongst some of the earliest pop music I can remember. Around 1985, my dad got hold of a second hand ZX Spectrum 48k and the accompanying tape player had a cassette in it filled with tunes, of which ITG was the first. 

Anything after the above listed songs doesn't do much for me, though I remember seeing the video for 'Like a Prayer' at the time and feeling "a bit strange" watching her lady bumps bounce around the show.

Lemming

In no order:

Borderline
Holiday
Ray of Light
Vogue
Frozen

Special mention to Material Girl and Like a Prayer, which are both great songs, but not ones I'm eager to listen to for whatever reason. Hung Up isn't bad for what it is.

wosl

Open Your Heart is her best by a country mile.

SweetPomPoms

Borderline, Into The Groove, Papa Don't Preach, La Isla Bonita and Like A Prayer.
Her hit rate was way better before she started writing for herself, been a long, long while since she's come up with a new classic.

kalowski

Quote from: wosl on August 25, 2020, 04:35:19 PM
Open Your Heart is her best by a country mile.
Ooh, yes, very nice. I would also say Express Yourself.
I'm not a huge fan myself, but was listening to some of her stuff today, hence the thread.

"True Blue" is actually her best single.

spaghetamine

in no particular order

like a prayer
like a virgin
into the groove
vogue
ray of light

Non Stop Dancer

Into the groove is absolutely perfect, I think. Also have a soft spot for Vogue, papa, la isla bonita, express yourself, cherish etc. I like the idea of like a prayer but find the production a bit leaden and plodding.

Non Stop Dancer

Oh yeah material girl and like a virgin of course.

DrGreggles

That Austin Powers one was good, not sure she's done enough non-dogshit to make a top 5 though.

Sebastian Cobb

Holiday
Like A Prayer
Into the Groove
Vogue
Material Girl

Gulftastic

Oh Father
Borderline
Into The Groove
Open Your Heart
Like A Virgin

machotrouts

I don't care enough to have opinions so here's my statistically objective answer.

American Life is the "I drive my Mini Cooper and I'm feeling super duper" song.

jobotic

Forgot Cherish and Open Your Heart. They're good.

One of my best friends who I lived with for a few years is obsessed. her Evita stuff is what I loathe the most after hearing it a million billion times. You Must Love Me....

She is generally terrible.

BlodwynPig

El Unicornio, mang

I used to like her early stuff. Borderline - but once she got off with that Papa Don't Preach phase, I tuned out.

"Material Girl", "Who's That Girl", "Into the Groove", "Live to Tell", "The Look of Love", "La Isla Bonita" and "Like a Prayer" my faves

Captain Z

Like A Virgin
Like A Prayer
Like A Ray Of Light
What It Feels For Like A Girl
Like Isla Bonita

McFlymo

In fairness she had some bangers like...

More than the other big pop star ladies (subsumed into gay culture).

Like, I know someone who honestly thinks Believe by Cher is the best song ever written. I'd take all of Madonna's post 2000 throwaway shit (and plenty of Cher's other stuff too) over that absolute car crash of badly produced Euro cheese. It exemplifies everything bad in the late 90s. 

But, I digress. ...

Everything from Frozen onwards I just found embarrassingly bad (although Music was a great track, stupid lyrics aside and The Power Of Goodbye was OK-ish).

Jockice

Borderline, Into The Groove, Holiday, Lucky Star and Material Girl. I went off her after that. I reserve a special loathing for Hanky Panky and Vogue, an apparent dance craze that I don't believe a single real person ever took part in.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jockice on August 26, 2020, 07:12:12 AM
Borderline, Into The Groove, Holiday, Lucky Star and Material Girl. I went off her after that. I reserve a special loathing for Hanky Panky and Vogue, an apparent dance craze that I don't believe a singer real person ever took part in.

its all the rage with the kidz today, in their naff naff