Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My top 5 Madonna songs

Started by kalowski, August 25, 2020, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

No love for Hung Up? I think it's so great I even bought the 12"!

https://youtu.be/EDwb9jOVRtU

Brundle-Fly

Norton Canes

The really early, trashy stuff: Everybody, Holiday, Borderline. Angel; Into The Groove, of course.

Crabwalk

Open Your Heart (especially the 12" version)
Borderline
Cherish
Material Girl
Get in Groove

Nothing controversial, just absolute beastunes that suit her lovely thin voice at the time.

wosl

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 26, 2020, 03:50:57 PM
just absolute beastunes that suit her lovely thin voice at the time.

If thin, then I wish more modern pop singers sounded this way.  On the whole she seems to have reined back the full power available, and she usually sounds pleasantly moderate, sweet and clear.  The thing I'm not keen on is that croak/fry thing she throws in from time to time, to indicate angst or rising desire, presumably, a styling she possibly pioneered and which some others have run with to annoying lengths (although I'll be struggling to name them, if pressed).

Crabwalk

Quote from: wosl on August 26, 2020, 06:41:20 PM
If thin, then I wish more modern pop singers sounded this way.

Oh me too, absolutely. I didn't mean it as an insult at all.

wosl

She can also swoop and gulp to excess when opting to emote more strongly.

wosl

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 26, 2020, 06:44:04 PM
I didn't mean it as an insult at all.

No, I know ('lovely thin voice').  It just prompted me to ponder 'thin'.

Gulftastic

It's 30 years ago this year I saw her Blonde Ambition Tour at Wembley. Great gig, except for the Dick Tracy section which was shee-ite!

Crabwalk

Quote from: wosl on August 26, 2020, 06:48:31 PM
No, I know ('lovely thin voice').  It just prompted me to ponder 'thin'.

Yes, I was being a bit reductive there!

JaDanketies

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 25, 2020, 03:30:25 PM
Dunno about top 5 but "Frozen" is probably my favourite. Absolutely incredible tune.

I agree with The Mollusk. I used to say Like a Prayer was the best but Frozen blows it out of the water.

Also I used to be a bit ironic when I said I had a favourite Madonna song until I listened to a bunch of her 90s / 00s stuff on MDMA

wosl

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 26, 2020, 06:50:54 PM
It's 30 years ago this year I saw her Blonde Ambition Tour at Wembley.

I got to see her at Wembley in 1987, courtesy of a gratis ticket going begging (the concert took place in the evening of the day that Michael Ryan had run amok in Hungerford).

I forgot, Justify My Love is totally ace too. I love the sparse production - it sounds like a demo.

hummingofevil

Agree with all you fellow Voguers... strike a pose.

And this version specifically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTaXtWWR16A . I have watched it hundreds of times.

Who needs to sing live when you can just mic up your fans instead.

peanutbutter

Into the Groove is the obvious #1

My daughter's got into Madonna recently, and her favourite songs (I just asked her) are:

1. La Isla Bonita
2. Like a Prayer
3. Express Yourself
4. Cherish
5. Hit Me Baby One More Time

She's 8.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Big Time Wooly Woofter
Boz on the Jeb
Press My Gunt, Jonathan
21st Century Playa
Schnauzer Procurant

Dr Rock

Into The Groove (which was supposed to have been written for one of my exes, I may have mentioned a million times)
Like A Prayer
Borderline
Crazy For You (had my first snog to it)
Express Yourself

and some late stage Madonna: Ray Of Light, Hung Up, Beautiful Stranger

(Like a Prayer is one of my karaoke go-tos now. Get on Smule!)

But it has to be the original Like a Prayer and Express Yourself from the album, and not the horrible new arrangements which were on the Immaculate Collection / singles.

That said, most of the Immaculate Collection tracks are mixed with Q-Sound, and sound much better than the original mixes. I still have no idea why this technology didn't take off big time.

machotrouts

I don't care much for any Madonna that was released before I existed. My most-played 80s Madonna song is 'Everybody', which is #33 overall on my scrobble chart. She only gets interesting at Justify My Love as far as I'm concerned. You are all so OLD. Your 8-year-old daughters are fucking OLD.

I hadn't realised that Justify My Love was co-written by Lenny Kravitz. The guy's a musical chameleon - the difference in style and tone between that and It Ain't Over Till It's Over and Are You Gonna Go My Way is staggering.

sevendaughters

Like A Prayer
Into The Groove
Papa Don't Preach
Holiday
Material Girl

Immaculate Collection maybe the best singles comp/best of.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 27, 2020, 09:05:10 AM
But it has to be the original Like a Prayer and Express Yourself from the album, and not the horrible new arrangements which were on the Immaculate Collection / singles.

You're not wrong

the science eel

'Material Girl' is sooooooooooooooo good

Next time you listen, focus on the drums. You can FEEL him absolutely tensed up ready to roll like thunder, but holding back, just pumping like a piston in the pocket. Later there are a few stumbling rolls but you know he wanted to do more. It gives the track real power. It's fucking amazing.

the science eel

Just found out it's the Chic fellas playing on it! so that's Tony Thompson doing his thing

Panbaams

I think most of my top five has been mentioned already, but this one hasn't: "Secret".

And I like the bonkers remix of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina": it's much better than the drippy original.

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 27, 2020, 08:56:01 AM
Into The Groove (which was supposed to have been written for one of my exes, I may have mentioned a million times)
Like A Prayer
Borderline
Crazy For You (had my first snog to it)
Express Yourself

and some late stage Madonna: Ray Of Light, Hung Up, Beautiful Stranger

(Like a Prayer is one of my karaoke go-tos now. Get on Smule!)

Into The Groove actually reminds me of one of my exes. One of those short-lived late teens things. She basically told me to bugger off in a nightclub and then danced to this. And Free Yourself by The Untouchables. The irony of that didn't escape me.

I had my first snog to True by Spandau Ballet, but Crazy For You reminds me of spending a very pleasant afternoon trawling record shops looking for the single copy of it with a very pretty young lady from a few years below me at school who wanted it for her new boyfriend. I'd just bumped into her in town and unlike most good-looking women she didn't seem ashamed to be seen in public with me. She was lovely was Ruth. Apparently she's now a fanatical right-wing anti-everything Christian. What a waste.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 26, 2020, 08:46:00 PM
I forgot, Justify My Love is totally ace too. I love the sparse production - it sounds like a demo.

This. I've always been inordinately fond of that song, but have never been able to decide if I genuinely like the tune or if it just reminds me of being 13 years old and gawping astonishedly at MTV as my cock world exploded.

kalowski

Jockice

Isn't she just singing over this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux344pL7U8

It's as easy as Vice Versa.