Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My top 5 Madonna songs

Started by kalowski, August 25, 2020, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

1 cherish
2 into the groove
3 open your heart
4 ray of light
5 justify my love

new page on the borderline

Quote from: kalowski on August 27, 2020, 06:25:48 PM
Isn't she just singing over this?

https://youtu.be/YHyCIDu6dSY

Basically yes, Kravitz added a synth line. If you A/B the two tracks I don't know what he did to the loop (more compression I guess) but the 808 bass on JML sounds lush and the hi-hats sizzle.

Fucking genius track, such a light touch.

kalowski

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 27, 2020, 09:06:13 PM
Basically yes, Kravitz added a synth line. If you A/B the two tracks I don't know what he did to the loop (more compression I guess) but the 808 bass on JML sounds lush and the hi-hats sizzle.

Fucking genius track, such a light touch.
Don't get me wrong, I really like JML, but I love that PE stuck over 1 and a half minutes of drum machine on a record.

Quote from: kalowski on August 27, 2020, 09:11:22 PM
Don't get me wrong, I really like JML, but I love that PE stuck over 1 and a half minutes of drum machine on a record.

Don't forget the beeps, when a loop's that good you don't need to add much to it - My Bloody Valentine didn't either.

Hundhoon

i always liked Justify my Love the most  sounds like a great lost Massive Attack track from 1991.

The Immaculate collection is great, everyone knows its an unusually good pop compilation, a quality that none of  Madonna's supposed successors have been able to achieve...her best material is 80s pop at its finest, Crazy for You, Boardeline, Open Your Heart, Cherish, Lucky Star.
its deserved to sell 20 million copies.

Marner and Me

Cherish, end of.

Like to say well done to Ad-Roc for getting off with her too back in the day.

Johnboy

Quote from: Hundhoon on August 28, 2020, 07:41:56 AM
i always liked Justify my Love the most  sounds like a great lost Massive Attack track from 1991.

The Immaculate collection is great, everyone knows its an unusually good pop compilation, a quality that none of  Madonna's supposed successors have been able to achieve...her best material is 80s pop at its finest, Crazy for You, Boardeline, Open Your Heart, Cherish, Lucky Star.
its deserved to sell 20 million copies.

Yeh, great comp, but watch out for the dodgy remix version it has of Into the Groove, it just aint the same as the single.

Dr Syntax Head

1) Substitute/drowned world (cos of William orbit and it also sounds like a slower Pure Shores, same chord progression)
2)Don't tell me (it's just lush and lovely, the strings on the outro especially)
3) Ray of light (cos of William orbit)
4) Borderline (nostalgia)
5) Vogue (nostalgia)

hummingofevil

I assume you know this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osjwWkb7rfc

I know it from Batchelor Party but to me is a track of absolute genius. If one considers it an electro track I suppose it is in keeping with the musical developments of the time but if one thinks its a proto house (tech house?) track to me it is a decade before it's time.

boki

Like A Prayer
Borderline
Papa Don't Preach
Holiday
Like A Virgin

boki

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: hummingofevil on September 05, 2020, 02:49:35 AM

I know it from Batchelor Party but to me is a track of absolute genius. If one considers it an electro track I suppose it is in keeping with the musical developments of the time but if one thinks its a proto house (tech house?) track to me it is a decade before it's time.

ACE!

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: hummingofevil on September 05, 2020, 02:49:35 AM

Damn this is soooooo good!

ElTwopo

Borderline
Open Your Heart
Cherish
Get in t'Groove
Live to Tell (purely due to watching At Close Range recently)

Bubbling under:
Material Girl
Deeper and Deeper
Hung Up

jobotic

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 28, 2020, 06:28:36 AM
Don't forget the beeps, when a loop's that good you don't need to add much to it - My Bloody Valentine didn't either.

I forgot how good that was, ta

SteveDave

Hung Up
Material Girl
Like A Prayer
Borderline
Beautiful Stranger

McFlymo

McFlymo

I know tonnes of artists have done this over the years, but I liked the way Madonna done it here.
https://youtu.be/XPL_qGqSJxA

Plus that beat ain't half bad.