Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,189
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TED CAN'T HEAR YAH! A (belated) Hi-De-Hi! 40th Anniversary thread!

Started by Glebe, August 25, 2020, 07:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

So the pilot episode of Hi-De-Hi! was apparently broadcast on 1st Jan 1980 (although the series proper didn't start till the following year), so here's a (slightly belated) 40th anniversary thread. I remember watching it as a kid, and watched the whole thing online a few years ago (plus GOLD have been repeating it). Anyway, here's a few articles:

The Yellowcoats of Maplin's holiday camp became TV favourites when Hi-de-Hi! first hit screens 40 years ago.

Vintage pictures show behind the scenes of Hi-de-Hi.

Hi-de-Hi's Su Pollard: 'I'd rather talk about cakes than Brexit!'

Ruth Madoc is no hard to please OAP as she reflects on hit Hi-de-Hi! show that changed her life.

Hi-de-Hi! star Ruth Madoc guest stars on Casualty.

A rather alarming kidnap drama described here by Linda Regan (who played April, the Yellowcoat who fancid Spike) here... married to Brian Murphy, actually:

Hi-de-Hi! Former sitcom star Linda Regan tells ME AND MY MONEY her big financial blunder...investing in a chain of sex shops.

We had Felix Bowness open our school fete when I was at primary school, it was the first superstar many of us had ever seen in real life - we were dead impressed.

Glebe

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 25, 2020, 07:45:10 PM
We had Felix Bowness open our school fete when I was at primary school, it was the first superstar many of us had ever seen in real life - we were dead impressed.

I hope he just stood there complaining while the theme tune played.

Quote from: Glebe on August 25, 2020, 07:48:34 PM
I hope he just stood there complaining while the theme tune played.

I think I was too star struck to remember any details.

Shit Good Nose

Diane Holland was at the same ITV Telethon event in Bristol in the late 80s where I saw Jerry S. do his family friendly magic act.  I knew who she was as the show was one of the few things we all enjoyed watching together as a family (although I've not seen any of it since it was first on, so who knows what I'd think of it now, and no doubt there's loads of stuff in there ripe for cancelling).  Anyway, she was a very glamorous, very elegant and very tall woman, and one of the first times I was particularly struck by a female (it must've been 1988, so I would've been 9).  I also wonder if that where my penchant for older women started.  Anyway, don't want to derail this into a "WHO DID YOU WANT TO FUCK ON HI-DE-HI?" thread.  Carry on.

ollyboro

Uncle TechTip

Glebe

He must be one of the most downtrodden sitcom characters ever. Always having to get up early to muck out the horses and forever being railroaded into all kinds of gubbins! As far as I'm concerned he can let off as much steam as he wants inside a circle over the end credits.

DrGreggles

Glebe

Here's some behind-the-scenes filming of the final episode, which I'd not seen before.

Cadbury's Wispa ad with Ruth Madoc and Simon Cadell.

They appear to be playing versions of themselves, seeing as Madoc refers to Cadell by his real name. Easy there Ruth, you wild Welsh tiger! And I've just discovered this Walkers Crisps ad with Madoc. And as bonus... Ruth raps!

Unfortunately, the HDH! Comedy Connections that's been up on YouTube for a good while has out-of-sync audio, ffs.

Shane, Madoc, Pollard and Holland on The Paul O' Grady show in 2007 is long gone off YouTube, sadly.

Quote from: Glebe on August 29, 2020, 02:10:12 AM

They appear to be playing versions of themselves, seeing as Madoc refers to Cadell by his real name. Easy there Ruth, you wild Welsh tiger! And I've just discovered this Walkers Crisps ad with Madoc. And as bonus... Ruth raps!

Wasn't this always the way when actors on BBC programmes appeared on adverts - because the BBC had the copyright on the characters?  (Also remember the Homebase adverts with Neil Morrissey & Leslie Ash:  'Look what I've found NEIL', 'That's amazing value LESLIE' etc).  In the back of my mind is that it all started with a couple of Archers actors (Dan and Doris IIRC) who appeared, in character, at a Conservative Party conference,but Mr Google has failed to confirm this for me.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Ruth Madoc doesn't half look like Marc Almond sexy in that Wispa advert. Was credit given to her about what a genuine glamourpuss she was at the time in the original " Hi- De- Hi!" television series? Fucking shoulder pads in that 1988 era advert.

Gulftastic

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 29, 2020, 12:07:40 PM
Wasn't this always the way when actors on BBC programmes appeared on adverts - because the BBC had the copyright on the characters?  (Also remember the Homebase adverts with Neil Morrissey & Leslie Ash:  'Look what I've found NEIL', 'That's amazing value LESLIE' etc).  In the back of my mind is that it all started with a couple of Archers actors (Dan and Doris IIRC) who appeared, in character, at a Conservative Party conference,but Mr Google has failed to confirm this for me.

Yes. So much so that when John Blake's left Blue Peter and started doing ads, the dog he appeared with could not be called 'Shep'.

ETA, just found it on youtube, the dog, which looked identical to his more famous mutt was called 'Skip'.

The dog was still still in character so it was a legal requirement.

Gulftastic

Su Pollard's former husband has made a whole career out of having married Su Pollard (his Twitter bio starts "Married to Su Pollard for 8 years" and only then gets round to mentioning his current partner, who he's been with for 32 years).  I am tempted by his book, 'My Hi-de-High Life: Before, During and After Su Pollard', which is £2.99 for Kindle on Amazon at the moment. 

The first review is "If you want to read a badly written book by the ex husband of 80's celeb Su Pollard then this is for you."  I wonder what the purchaser expected?

Tony Tony Tony

According to the Hi De Hi fansite   https://holidayrockhidehi.fandom.com/wiki/Joe_Maplin  Bob Monkhouse was slated to play Joe Maplin.
As we know Joe never actually appeared (except seeing his foot stepping out of his posh car).

Instead he became one of the great unseen comedy characters alongside the likes of Elizabeth Mainwaring.

I guess Monkhouse would have somewhat stolen the scenes had he appeared so best he wasn't available.

Gulftastic

Monkhouse would have been good as Squadron Leader Clive Dempster, but putting such a big presence into an established cast would have caused all kinds of resentment I think.

metaltax

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 30, 2020, 12:41:57 PM
I am tempted by his book, 'My Hi-de-High Life: Before, During and After Su Pollard', which is £2.99 for Kindle on Amazon at the moment.

I did that a couple of years ago, just for novelty value. If I could gift you my copy I would. If I could charity shop it I would. I don't remember a single thing that happens in it.

Tony Tony Tony

I can't imagine being hitched to Su Polard. She strikes as being the sort of actor/personality who is 'always on' very much in the same mould as Gyles Brandreth. I am sorely tempted to splash out on her other half's memoirs now in the hope of a rip roaring  tell all.

Will report back if I indeed do.

the science eel

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 30, 2020, 12:41:57 PM
Su Pollard's former husband has made a whole career out of having married Su Pollard (his Twitter bio starts "Married to Su Pollard for 8 years" and only then gets round to mentioning his current partner, who he's been with for 32 years). 

That's given me the biggest laugh I've had in ages. Absolutely fucking marvellous.

Tony Tony Tony

Irresistible . Purchased.

Fambo Number Mive

He's published a sequel, "Filling in the Gaps".

QuoteA great story!
Lisa Scaffidi, Lord Mayor of Perth

Menu

Glebe

Previous HDH! threads here and here if you're bothered.

Some more HDH!-related clips:

Three Of A Kind - Why-De-Why?

Kenny Everett as Peggy (with help from Pollard!)

Typhoo tea ad with Pollard and some donkeys.

I was always a Jeffrey fan, though admittedly David Griffin was a good replacement as Clive, who actually fits in quite nicely as a kind of suave conman. Barry Howard (Barry Stuart-Hargreaves) was let go because his drinking was becoming an issue apparently, but he returned in a stage show years later with Nikki Kelly (Sylvia) in the role of Yvonne Stuart-Hargreaves.

After Leslie Dwyer (Mr. Partridge, who I like to think of as a comedy universe relative of Alan) died there were a couple of appearances by an unnamed plumber (played by Ronnie Brady) who has very obviously been given lines intended for Mr. Partridge, which is particularly noticeable in his exchanges with Fred Quilley.

And just to get really nerdy, some Terry and June appearances by HDH! folks... Leslie Dwyer appears in the TaJ episode 'Flying Carpets', Barry Howard appears in 'Writing on the Wall' (both series 1), while Felix Bowness appears in '85 Christmas special 'Pantomania'.... also Temporary-Mr.Partridge-Replacement Ronnie Brady (mentioned last paragraph!) appears in a couple of episodes as different characters.

Oh yeah, and I must point out the bizarreness of 'The Great Cat Robbery', in which Ted and co. search for a treasure rumoured to be hidden in one of the chalets by DRUGGING ALL THE CAMPERS.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 30, 2020, 02:26:35 PMAccording to the Hi De Hi fansite   https://holidayrockhidehi.fandom.com/wiki/Joe_Maplin  Bob Monkhouse was slated to play Joe Maplin.
As we know Joe never actually appeared (except seeing his foot stepping out of his posh car).

Instead he became one of the great unseen comedy characters alongside the likes of Elizabeth Mainwaring.

I guess Monkhouse would have somewhat stolen the scenes had he appeared so best he wasn't available.

Monkhouse would eventually collaborate with Perry & Croft by singing the theme tune to You Rang, M'Lord?, which also starred Shane, Pollard and Holland. On a side note, Gavin Richards, who played Joe Maplins right-hand man Harold Fox, also played Captain Bertorelli in 'Allo 'Allo!. I always remember 'The Graven Image', one of the two episodes Harold Fox appears in (the other being 'Spaghetti Galore') from childhood from the rather juvenile moment where a hastily-painted statue of Joe Maplin appears to have a runny nose.

David Croft would also go on to do Oh, Doctor Beeching!, which again starred Shane, Pollard and Holland... with the addition of Stephen 'Blakey' Lewis!

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 30, 2020, 05:29:54 PMHe's published a sequel, "Filling in the Gaps".

I bet he did the dirty old bollox.

Oh yeah, this would have made for a fantastic CaB meet:

jenna appleseed

Thanks to this thread I've been inspired to trackdown a slightly tongue in cheek subversive/feminist interpretation of Su Pollard's episode of Disney Time I read in a book of media criticism back I read back in @96-99 when I was at collage (whole essay is on google books preview)

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Television_Mythologies/3_KIAgAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22disney+time%22&pg=PA27&printsec=frontcover