Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:03:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Takashi Miike

Started by The Mollusk, August 26, 2020, 11:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on August 27, 2020, 07:20:07 AM
Can't believe there hasn't been more love for his 13 Assassins remake. It's not really of a piece with his 90s and early 00s films and it's probably one of his more restrained films as far as imagery goes (apart from one shock reveal), but a brilliant samurai film with an amazing final battle.

TOTAL MASSACRE

I'v been expecting this to pickup more popularity since release but it doesn't seem to have, manages to both me a very well made conventional Samurai film whilst still having a good deal of Miikness bleed into it without it feeling out of place.

Noodle Lizard

13 Assassins is great, incredibly fun in the cinema. It's one of the best-paced action films I've ever seen; not an ounce of fat on it, and yet it doesn't feel shallow. Just amazingly confident filmmaking.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 06, 2020, 12:05:35 AM
I watched The Great Yokai War this evening thanks to this thread and loved it, it's a big crazy fantasy flick with a really fun selection of supporting characters, the first half is sort of your standard fantasy quest thing but then the second just goes insane and is a delightfully daft and beautifully inventive and imaginative affair. 8.1/10

I finally watched this last night, too, and it's like how you remember all those fantasy-adventure films of the '80s in your head, like Explorers, Temple of Doom, Flight of the Navigator and whatnot, only to realise they don't quite live up to the movie you had incubating in your imagination when you go back to them. Only The Great Yokai War is as wild and rich as anything you could have thought of and more.  I'm not sure if it would have been one of my favourite films as a kid, or too dark and weird to sit through, but as an adult I really loved it.  It's like if Junji Ito and Spielberg rewired their brain stems together and became one functioning filmmaker.  I'm a bit surprised it's a PG, but then maybe grown-ups can sometimes underestimate some kids' capacity for the grotesque and macabre.  There's some really cool puppetry on display if you're into that kind of thing.

Nobody Soup

Audition is a horrific film but I honestly don't think I've seen a horror film surpass it since it was released.

I was exceptionally lucky in that I went to see it during a period of time at uni where I would go to the local art house cinema and just see whatever they had on a matinee showing (the ticket was cheaper than a pint) so I went in to see this and thought it was indeed a whimsical japanese rom-com for the first 30 mins. the turn was hard to get my head round and the final torture scene feels almost like a hallucinogenic dream. few films have affected me as much.

Small Man Big Horse

Ai to Makoto aka For Love's Sake (2012) - An action based sort of rom-com musical this starts well and fizzles with energy but the storyline is almost ridiculously slight, and as it deliberately becomes more action based the songs are fewer and fewer, none of the characters are particularly interesting or likeable, it's extremely repetitious too and by the end I was struggling to pay attention. 5.7/10, but only because the first third is so good, and I was really disappointed by this overall given how much I liked it initially.

Pink Gregory

Picked up the Black Society Trilogy on a whim - Shinjuku Triad Society is quite a banger isn't it?

Goes at a fair clip, not loads to think about, can see where it's going, just a very efficient and stylish film.

Can't quite decide how to feel about how many of the villains are gay or indulge in homosexual acts.  It doesn't *feel* homophobic because the acts aren't really condemned in any way, it's just a thing that's happening.  You don't get that camp villain stereotype.  It's if anything quite refreshing.  Can't be doing with the sound of ice being crunched up in the mouth though.

Really nice shot in a hospital corridor that starts low angle, tracking round a corner and ends with the protagonist staring down the barrel of the camera, reverses shot to some kids looking up at him.  Struck me anyway.