Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Power Trip frontman Riley Gale dies aged 34

Started by idunnosomename, August 26, 2020, 12:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/26/riley-gale-frontman-with-thrash-metal-band-power-trip-dies

I wasn't as big on Power Trip as some people have been, they were certainly good, but a lot of people had them as the ones to watch in the world on metal. Now their charismatic vocalist and frontman has died age 34. No cause of death revealed, but I know some men of this age who just died in their sleep, no warning beyond maybe a headache the evening before. Horrible whatever.

Didn't have a chance to see them live (I think I was away when they last played near me)

The Mollusk

I agree, was never really bowled over by these guys as much as others seemed to be. I'm not really huge into thrash, although Power Trip did seem to be very good at it. Apparently they kicked ass live which is maybe where a lot of the praise stems from.

No age though is it lads, no age

sevendaughters

I never heard Power Trip until today but I checked them out and really liked a few of their songs. There's been a few too-young deaths in the last month though: Justin Earle, Tom from Tomaga, Vern from Unwound, Denise Johnson was only 56 too. Not all COVID, not all taken their own life, but all just really shitty and can't help connecting them.

idunnosomename

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 26, 2020, 12:28:12 PM
I agree, was never really bowled over by these guys as much as others seemed to be. I'm not really huge into thrash, although Power Trip did seem to be very good at it. Apparently they kicked ass live which is maybe where a lot of the praise stems from.

No age though is it lads, no age
well I like some thrash revival, but I prefer it to be more melodic (my favs are Ultra-Violence), otherwise I just prefer full-on extreme/death stuff. these were a bit in the middle as being thrash mixed more with hardcore, which probably opened them up to more audiences.

the first album is better, I think, but I'm listening to a live album on Spotify now (Seattle 2018) and it's just monstrous. the concerts must've been fucking wild.

actually realise I was on the fence about seeing them in 2018 but I was travelling the next week and could see Dying Fetus so I gave them a miss. o well

easytarget

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 26, 2020, 10:37:09 PMthe concerts must've been fucking wild.

Can confirm
He was a fucking great frontman (I mean, everyone is going to say that about a decent fella who leaves *way* before his time, but it's true). Lots of mic stand action and high kicks. Young Axl Rose energy.

Better live than on record I think, but Executioner's Tax (Swing of the Axe) is a proper metal classic.

They were a very special band and I selfishly hope they'll somehow keep making music.