Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,470
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Arcade Fire: a load of shite?

Started by The Mollusk, August 26, 2020, 02:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaghetamine

Completely lost interest in them after The Suburbs and I probably wouldn't find myself listening to any of the earlier records these days either, my parents are big fans though. It's Mum and Dad approved!

PaulTMA

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 26, 2020, 08:25:00 PM
In retrospect Reflektor is actively pretty bad. The first single was a strong first single but doesn't hold up so well several years down the line. The other single just makes me want to listen to New Order aiming for similar notes and hitting them way more effectively.
Did it even have a third single? A double album with two songs, only one of which is at all memorable?

Was the second single that one with her screeching a reply vocal to the male singer, during the chorus?  Heard that a lot on 6Music during an ill-fated trip to the Lake District with my ex, which was followed up by us splitting up less than a week later.  Hearing that song multiple times was definitely the worst thing about that entire period of my life.  Truly excruciating and I do like a few of their early songs, having bought their first album by mistake after hearing a song by TV On The Radio and wrongly assuming they were that amazing band that everyone was banging on about (on crash helmets, no less)

Seedsy

Used to absolutely love this band. First 3 albums are mostly great.
Reflektor tho was a mess, and the last one everything now was abysmal.
I've seen them a few times live tho, and they are a force of nature

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on August 26, 2020, 05:05:13 PM
I remember the bloke out of Scritti Pollitti slagging the fuck out of them, it was very funny

Was he 'Green' with envy then?

holyzombiejesus

Euch, they're just bland stodge like a baked potato without the butter.  Musically, a baked potato with butter (most of the Heavenly Records roster) is pretty bad but without is just unforgivable. I'd like to see them do a joint tour with Elbow where their coaches crash resulting in several casualties.

Quite liked that single that was on the Where The Wild Things Are soundtrack (Wake Uo?)

purlieu

Another one for the 'Funeral was great, everything afterwards left me cold' camp here.

PaulTMA

Don't forget that in 2008/9, Elbow were almost universally loved on this forum and were voted the best band of all time, even ahead of Cardiacs.  Everyone wanted to at least go for a pint with Guy Garvey, because even if you didn't like their music, he seemed like such a nice bloke, don't you think?  Everyone would say so and you'd think, you know what, yeah, that'd be good.  The spirit of the times was summed up by that very statement.  Simpler times.   Wow.

Pseudopath

Always had a soft spot for Crown of Love. Everything else on Funeral can aptly get in grave (along with everything else they've ever done).

The Mollusk

Funeral, to my hazy recollection, is a good example of how they could really brew up a storm musically but just throw it all in the bin when they start with the "WHOOOAAAAA" and all the interminable whining that Win and Régine do, which when factored as individual voices would each be insufferable enough, but when combined sit high atop twee mountain hollering all manner of bollocks. Power Out would be a total belter if anyone else was singing on it. ANYONE. Even Guy Garvey, singing about his lovely brown booze and weddings or whatever.

Jockice

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 27, 2020, 12:42:15 PM
Don't forget that in 2008/9, Elbow were almost universally loved on this forum and were voted the best band of all time, even ahead of Cardiacs.  Everyone wanted to at least go for a pint with Guy Garvey, because even if you didn't like their music, he seemed like such a nice bloke, don't you think?  Everyone would say so and you'd think, you know what, yeah, that'd be good.  The spirit of the times was summed up by that very statement.  Simpler times.   Wow.

I've never been for a pint with him but I have been in the same room in the same pub at the same time. He has an enormous head. An oxen one.

shagatha crustie

I've never hated Elbow as much as it's seemingly cool to. Friend of Ours and Lippy Kids are lovely. Think Garvey has a nice voice. I'm only familiar with two albums and at their worst they are pretty bland, but CaB liking them initially and then getting all reactionary because of One Day Like This and the Olympics isn't too hard to imagine.

Phil_A

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 27, 2020, 12:42:15 PM

I'm sure this time period exists entirely in your bizarre Elbow-fixated mind.

phantom_power

Elbow's first album is good, pretty low key and atmospheric, and songs like Newborn and Any Day Now are great. It was only after that they got their bombast on

imitationleather

Quote from: Phil_A on August 27, 2020, 01:47:55 PM

Indeed. Maybe this was during a break from the board I had?

The Mollusk

Yeah, sorry PaulTMA, but I think you are exaggerating this memory. I have tried searching for any proof and it seems like CaB's always been on the fence with Elbow, with half the people thinking they've always been shit and the other half quite rightly coming in to the defence of the first three albums, which are pretty good. Thinking back, I don't remember it being any different to that, either. It's just that everyone also really enjoyed massively piling on One Day Like This because it got fucking everywhere like glitter and it's dreary shite.

There was this thread (in which you're called out by name), but I only wish to bring that up because the puns in the tags are fucking hilarious.

Jerzy Bondov

Fucking loved Funeral at the time. Still give it a go now and then and still love it. I got the self titled EP off the back of it and that's good too.

Neon Bible had some great songs but lacked the bigger, earnest moments of Funeral. I'd hyped myself right up for that one. I got it, took it home, shut myself in my room and lay on my back with the lights off to listen for the first time. I didn't love it like Funeral but I thought it was fine. My housemate told me in Tesco that it was better than Funeral and I wondered who this stranger was.

The Suburbs? More like the superbs! Fantastic album. Return to form. Feels like an epic story.

Reflektor just sort of washed over me, wasn't a fan. Maybe, I thought, they'd tack back to Funeral/Suburbs territory on the next record.

Everything Now is pure dog shit.

_____

I'll defend the first three Elbow albums, and the one with One Day Like This on it. That was a great song before it got on the telly.

Icehaven

I occasionally used to buy 7" singles by bands I'd never heard of just because I liked the artwork just to see what I got, so I first heard them when I bought 'Laika' because the cover was very fancy. I liked it, and Funeral, and a few of the singles off other albums but I never really thought they were all that amazing. Saw their Glastonbury headline set (on TV) where they wore all those stupid heads and thought it really didn't work, although by that point I'd pretty much lost track of them so maybe I just didn't get it. I might be misremembering but there seemed to be a really long bit where they didn't play and just messed about in the heads while some kind of crap medley played in the background? Rest of the set seemed great, that was just a strange misfire.

Inspector Norse

I'm with all the people saying they love Funeral but couldn't give a toss about the rest

sardines

Those early Elbow live shows were fucking epic (unlike AF who were "epic"). You'd come away with a bucket of Guy Garvey spit on your t-shirt and convinced he needed a stadium just for the risk of phlegm-related contagion.

PaulTMA

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 27, 2020, 02:46:25 PM
Yeah, sorry PaulTMA, but I think you are exaggerating this memory. I have tried searching for any proof and it seems like CaB's always been on the fence with Elbow, with half the people thinking they've always been shit and the other half quite rightly coming in to the defence of the first three albums, which are pretty good. Thinking back, I don't remember it being any different to that, either. It's just that everyone also really enjoyed massively piling on One Day Like This because it got fucking everywhere like glitter and it's dreary shite.

There was this thread (in which you're called out by name), but I only wish to bring that up because the puns in the tags are fucking hilarious.

I was joking but secretly you all bloody loved it and had your kids christened to Choochtown by Hammell On Trial.

PaulTMA

It was a joke, this didn't happen.  Clearly.  Just a bit of fun like righto.  You didn't do it did you, all's fine.

PaulTMA

lighthearted post oh dear.  sorry.

PaulTMA

The Mollusk

I actually have no idea what's going on tbh

ProvanFan

Elbow were alright before they signed for the BBC

Ferris

Inspired by this thread, I put myself to the test and cranked The Suburbs while exploring the new city I live in (and wheeling around Ferris Jr) and it really resonated. Yeah it was all very musically simple and had lots of tambourine bashing "YEAH YEAH WHOOOOOOAAAHHH" bits but it was still undeniably good stuff and I enjoyed it.

Ferris