Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peninsula (Train To Busan 2) (2020)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 27, 2020, 09:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

The follow up to 2016's Korean zombie fun, though with a bunch of new characters and it's set four years later. During this time South Korea's become overrun and been cordoned off, but for petty financial reasons our four plucky leads head over to grab a fuck load of money,
Spoiler alert
yet inevitably it's not that simple as there's some post apocalyptic idiocy where a bunch of trapped soldiers cause misery, and so it develops in to a sort of Mad Max Fury Road with added zombies type affair.
[close]
That might sound fun, and it some times is, but It sags badly about 35 minutes in and doesn't become interesting again until the hour point, there's way too much of the villains being tedious, and a lot of it is ridiculously cartoony, with some of the cgi (especially during the car chases) being rather weak. It does pick up for a fair bit in the second half,
Spoiler alert
but then they drag the ending out to a painful extent, and I was glad when it was finally over
[close]
. Recommended for only die hard zombie fans, and even then I'd suggest fast forwarding through half of it if you can. 5.5/10

Custard

I loved the first one. A properly exciting and tense horror

Bit sad to read this isn't too great. Though I should really get round to watching the animated prequel first anyway

Mister Six

Didn't get the appeal of the first one, which just seemed like every other zombie movie ever made, but with overwrought acting and shit CGI. And in Korean. Blue jacket dad was a 10/10 hero though.

Sounds like I should definitely avoid this one.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 27, 2020, 11:43:39 PM
I loved the first one. A properly exciting and tense horror

Bit sad to read this isn't too great. Though I should really get round to watching the animated prequel first anyway

I only watched the prequel a short while ago, I mostly liked it, it's bleak and the animation didn't always work for me, but it's a hell of a lot better than the sequel.

Quote from: Mister Six on August 28, 2020, 12:36:48 PM
Didn't get the appeal of the first one, which just seemed like every other zombie movie ever made, but with overwrought acting and shit CGI. And in Korean. Blue jacket dad was a 10/10 hero though.

I thought it was quite inventive compared to a lot of zombie films, being trapped on the train led to a lot of very tense moments, and there were a fuck load of the undead, but this definitely suffers from a deficit of original ideas and only a couple of decent set pieces. Plus the characters are fairly rubbish too, bar the kids who are at least quite amusing and the only thing the film really has going for it.

Head Gardener

it was OK, but the car chases looked cgi-ed to within an inch of their lives, long rubbish ending though

Sin Agog

Quote from: Mister Six on August 28, 2020, 12:36:48 PM

It was pretty much 99% an action movie rather than a horror, but I didn't think it was bad for all that.  Seemed to have a bit more empathy for the characters than some others of its kind.

I know I mentioned this in the last Busan convo here, but the IMDB reviews are all breathtakingly weird.  They're pretty much all perving the fuck out over some peripheral cheerleader character.