Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:07:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

XBox Game Pass

Started by Neomod, August 28, 2020, 10:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Now that it's going to be superseded i'm just getting round to buying an xbone and had made a list of games to get from CEX. Then I see there's a thing called 'Game Pass' and it seems to have a lot of those games included.

• It seems worth getting but what are the upside/downsides and how does it work?
  • Are the games downloaded onto your hard disk or are you playing in the cloud?
  • Are games removed intermittently from gamepass a la Netflix?

Bottom line, would you recommend it?

BeardFaceMan

Definitely worth it, Microsoft are chucking all their eggs in this basket, their goal is to get you to buy the game pass, not to buy the new console. It's been shown now that game sales and dlc sales have improved because of the game pass so you get triple A games and indie games, all available on game pass on the day of release. You download the games and install them on your hard drive as normal. Games do come and go but it's not like they're only there for a few weeks and you get warning that a game is disappearing. It even looks like Microsoft might be doing away with Xbox Live too, they really want to sell that game pass. And of course, you can play games on your pc with the pass, and there's a slightly different selection too so you can get games that you don't get on the console. Whether you think it's worth it depends on what you think of their library of games, I suppose.

bgmnts

Yeah definitely worth it. A lot of middling games but some very good games for a decent subscription fee.

Would recommend highly myself.

Inspector Norse

Yep, definitely worth it, many of the top games turn up on there at some point and there's even the occasional big new release that goes straight there (The Outer Worlds last year, for example).

I've been thinking that once the new consoles come out I'll go back and buy a cheap PS4 so I can play some of the classic exclusives I missed out on, shame there isn't an equivalent service there.

Neomod

Cheers all. That's a sale. After all I can always then buy the games which I love/think have a replay value at a later date.

It also explains why xbox gold games have been shite for the last 6 months.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 28, 2020, 10:37:58 AM
Definitely worth it, Microsoft are chucking all their eggs in this basket, their goal is to get you to buy the game pass, not to buy the new console. I

Definitely the case, this coming generation is more about the PS5 going up against Game Pass, than it is the Series X.

I'm almost certainly getting a PS5 as more of their exclusives appeal to me, however I can't deny that Game Pass is great value, and as a long-term strategy from Microsoft, I actually think it's a very good one.

brat-sampson

Game pass is nuts good, they added like 5 games I wanted to play and 3 I wanted to try out just this month. Obviously it can wax and wane, but for the next year or so it's gonna be killer, and I only have it for PC. It's a pompous slogan, but it really is the best deal in gaming. Just today there's Tell me Why, Wasteland 3 and Hypnospace Outlaw.

El Unicornio, mang

Very good value, I used to spend more than 4 quid a month on crappy budget Spectrum games/arcades when I was a kid with my 1.50 pocket money in the 80s, having access to all this content for that price is a bargain. Although I'm considering canceling mine just because there are so many good games available and I have other stuff I need to be doing. I fancy having a go at that Tell Me Why one that's included though, and keep playing FS2020 without having to reinstall.

Neomod

So got the xbone and the game pass today.

in my d/l queue:
DAYZ
Subnautica
Forza 4
No Man's Sky
Outer Wilds
Rocket League
Sea of Thieves

Some of these are just notable games I want to have a look at but are there any 'must play' recommendations in this months pass?

JamesTC

Off the top of my head...

Halo Master Chief Collection has Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST and Reach of which I would highly recommend. Halo Wars is a great console RTS but give the second one a miss.

Crackdown 3 was pretty good though none of the sequel have matched the simplistic brilliance of the first one.

The Rare Replay Collection has loads of classic games including the two Banjo Kazooie games.

I think Forza Horizon 3 is on there in addition to Horizon 4. I've not played 4 yet but I loved 3. Sadly Horizon 3 isn't on there.

EDIT:

Just had a quick look at the list and I'd also recommend The Talos Principle. It is a wonderful 3D puzzle game. Similar in style to Portal but a little more difficult with the puzzles.

Get on Forza Horizon 3 quickly. It's being delisted on 27th September because of expiring licenses.

It's also on sale to buy for £7. It's £18 for the ultimate edition which, irritatingly, doesn't contain the Hot Wheels and Blizzard Island expansions which are another £9.

After the 27th the only way to play it will be buying the disc and you won't be able to get the DLC either, so act fast. It's a much better game than 4.

JamesTC

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 11, 2020, 05:27:42 PM
Get on Forza Horizon 3 quickly. It's being delisted on 27th September because of expiring licenses.

It's also on sale to buy for £7. It's £18 for the ultimate edition which, irritatingly, doesn't contain the Hot Wheels and Blizzard Island expansions which are another £9.

After the 27th the only way to play it will be buying the disc and you won't be able to get the DLC either, so act fast. It's a much better game than 4.

Just the standard edition is good enough IMO. The Hot Wheels DLC was a fun novelty which wore off quickly. The Ultimate Edition is mostly just extra cars but the game has loads anyway.

El Unicornio, mang

Forza Horizon 3 is brilliant, possibly my favourite driving game ever. Definitely worth 7 quid. Worth getting the 9 quid expansion pass too, as the individual expansions are about 18 quid each.

Neomod

I've already got Horizon 1 and 2 and intend to get 4 but why is Forza 3 the best? It's set in Auz isn't it?

El Unicornio, mang

They're all probably as good as each other, I just like the scenery in 3 the most, particularly the beach bits.

Quote from: Neomod on September 13, 2020, 09:33:29 AM
I've already got Horizon 1 and 2 and intend to get 4 but why is Forza 3 the best? It's set in Auz isn't it?

Horizon 4 has barely any traffic when playing online and there's a lot of grindy FOMO live service stuff. It's still a brilliant game, but FH3 has a better map and hangs together a lot better.

Neomod

Quick Question. I thought my gamepass expired in October and have bought a 3 month card. It actually expires in November. If I redeem it now will it start in Nov?

brat-sampson

Assuming it's the same service, it always stacks. Cash in a 3 month card at any point and it'll just add 3 months to your sub time.

Neomod

Neomod

So EA Play is coming to game pass on the 10th. Handy as there's a few EA games I want to try/was gonna buy but what's in it for EA?  EA always strikes me as a pretty shady company and seem so obsessed with money they wouldn't give any thing out for free.

I fancy a a play of:

Battlefield 1
Battlefield 5
The Star Wars Battlefields
Plants vs Zombies 2

Are these riddled with microtransactions or did they knock that on the head?

bgmnts

Pretty sure the dutch or belgian government judt ruled that EA's business practices break gambling regulations.

EA take the cake for pure scummery. Weyland Yutani levels.

Bazooka

Quote from: Neomod on November 03, 2020, 11:42:34 AM
So EA Play is coming to game pass on the 10th. Handy as there's a few EA games I want to try/was gonna buy but what's in it for EA?  EA always strikes me as a pretty shady company and seem so obsessed with money they wouldn't give any thing out for free.

I fancy a a play of:

Battlefield 1
Battlefield 5
The Star Wars Battlefields
Plants vs Zombies 2

Are these riddled with microtransactions or did they knock that on the head?

No idea about plants vs zombies , but your Battlefields are fine for unlocking stuff as you play.

brat-sampson

Game Pass continues to be fucking nuts.

Here's what they added to PC last week.

and here's what they're adding this week/next week:

Also EA Play integration for PC is coming today as well.

That's like... *months* of games, and that's only the PC version, where I'd generally say the console version gets more and bigger hits. I still haven't started Yakuza 4 or 5 on there yet, and they just keep fucking coming, with the latest rumours being a surprise drop of a Persona title, either P5 Royal or Strikers most likely.

My sub runs out next month and is currently an Ultimate sub due to the cheap upgrade. I'll probably only re-sub for PC but still, holy shit, the value is off the charts.

Zetetic

Dumping the Bethesda and Obsidian back-catalogues, in large part, which is nice.

Consignia

I like the idea of gamepass, and have been tempted to pick up a Series S just to subscribe. But I don't want to get myself into the addiction hole of spending loads of time playing games rather more important stuff, which this would easily facilitate. Plus it'd be another subscription I'd end up wanking money on every month if I never used it.

Neomod

Quote from: Consignia on March 18, 2021, 11:50:58 AM
I like the idea of gamepass, and have been tempted to pick up a Series S just to subscribe. But I don't want to get myself into the addiction hole of spending loads of time playing games rather more important stuff, which this would easily facilitate. Plus it'd be another subscription I'd end up wanking money on every month if I never used it.

I've got loads of gamepass games on my xbox hd and just don't have the time to get stuck in to them. I'm only playing 5 games on the regular right now, World of Warships: Legends, PVZ, Battlefield V, Battlefront 2 and Rocket League. Most I just can just pick up for a quick spin.

The others just sit there ignored.

BeardFaceMan

You can earn enough reward points doing daily searches to get a PC gamepass for free every month, that's what I'm currently doing. Takes around 2 minutes of work a day, literally. There aren't enough games that are on console but not PC to justify getting the ultimate pass, even more so now they've added all the EA stuff.

Anyone tried Wreckfest yet? It's a fucking HOOT!

madhair60

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 18, 2021, 12:07:57 PM
You can earn enough reward points doing daily searches to get a PC gamepass for free every month, that's what I'm currently doing. Takes around 2 minutes of work a day, literally.

Yes it's an absolute piece of piss, love it

brat-sampson

I wish, they haven't rolled that program out here yet :(