Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

XBox Game Pass

Started by Neomod, August 28, 2020, 10:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 18, 2021, 12:07:57 PM
You can earn enough reward points doing daily searches to get a PC gamepass for free every month, that's what I'm currently doing. Takes around 2 minutes of work a day, literally. There aren't enough games that are on console but not PC to justify getting the ultimate pass, even more so now they've added all the EA stuff.

Eneba also have cheap global weekly ultimate gamepass passes which can be stacked. They seem to hover around 70p a week which works out pretty cheap. You can only buy 10 at a time and have to input them all manually so it can take some time but it's a cost effective way of renewing if needed. Just make sure not to buy the trial ones ,as they only work for new customers.

Pink Gregory

So Nier Automata might have the most engaging intro level I've played in goddamn ages

Non Stop Dancer

It's a pretty incredible offering I think, especially for somebody like me who hasn't done any gaming for a few years and has plenty to catch up on. That being said, the issue outlined in this thread is worrying and I wondered if anyone here has any experience of what's being said?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gamepass-pc-is-a-ticking-time-bomb-that-results-in-permanently-lost-hdd-ssd-space-unless-you-nuke-windows.340696/

Zetetic

Eh, worst case you boot into safe mode and delete the relevant folders. Worst case that also breaks Game Pass on your PC and you decide to cancel.

It is a janky mess though and with some astonishingly stupid user experience decisions.

Literally every game is forced to mess you about with the Xbox Gamertag permissions and account stuff on first run, meaning every first experience of a new game is it 1) suddenly freezing 2) chucking you to desktop 3) pausing briefly for it to remember the one account and for you to then select it and 4) a degree of rigmarole where you might have to Alt-Tab or just wait a bit for the game to start running again.

It's obviously not the end of the world, but it's just weird given that presumably Microsoft has enough control over all the parts involved to completely disappear this process.

BeardFaceMan

I use the pc pass almost exclusively over the console and can confirm the pc app is a piece of fucking shit that they should actually be ashamed to release. Been using it for a year or so, never had any of those problems with disappearing bits of hard drive or games not uninstalling or anything like that though.

Pink Gregory

Trying out Sniper Elite 4 and this is actually really good.  Like a more trivial Hitman, and I don't feel the need to find all the collectables.

madhair60

Outriders is a perfect GP game. Wouldn't pay full price for it but the shooting is very good, I love the way it encourages you to really muck in and make the most out of your abilities since only ability kills heal you. Great fun. Absolutely BOLLOCKS story but of course it is.

Consignia

I picked up Series S a few weeks ago as a game pass box. Can't say I'm hugely enamoured by the system as a whole, but I shouldn't expect too much as a next gen bridge. I still can feel load times which were supposedly elimnated by an SSD, and while I'm not really a graphics whore, I do can see things not always up scratch on the 4K TV. But again, Microsoft have never really sold it as that; if I wanted that I'd have gone series X.

But boy, I'm really enjoying the game pass. I think it's great to be able to dip my toes into genres I've never give a chance. For example I don't really enjoy racing games, but I'm strangely into Forza Horizon 4. Looking forward to trying a few other things out soon as well.

Pink Gregory

See I've got an original Xbone (friend got a series X and sent this to me) and the performance is fairly uniformly dogshit, but it bothers me for the first ten minutes and then goes away.

Neomod

Got back into Subnautica recently and the pop in on a standard xbone is appalling. Not sure if this is the console or if it's as bad on the pc too.

My HD is at 99% and I've had Control sitting there for ages. I'm tempted to delete it for Sniper Elite 4 without even playing it. Should I at least give it a go given that the idea hasn't grabbed me so far.

Pink Gregory

Big open levels with a tricky central mechanic (sniping) that tolerates failure and feels ace when you get it right.

Sound good?

Neomod

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 11, 2021, 06:43:46 PM
Big open levels with a tricky central mechanic (sniping) that tolerates failure and feels ace when you get it right.

Sound good?

Yeah, I played Sniper Elite 2 on the 360.

It's whether I should keep Control.

Non Stop Dancer

I've just played through Control and it was one of my favourite gaming experiences ever, although tbf it's the first game I've played for quite a few years so I'm no expert. I'd say if you feel like you'd enjoy the vive/aesthetic of it based on what you've seen, definitely give it a go. It's got a couple "fuck, that was awesome" sections, and once you're sufficiently levelled up, the combat is fantastic.

What I would say though is that it really got good for me once I'd played it for a fair few hours without really understanding about some of the systems, how the map works etc, and decided to watch a video along the lines of "what to know going in", so would recommend doing the same after a couple hours.

Neomod

Did I just read that right. Forza Horizon 5 coming straight to gamepass in November. The standard edition at least.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Neomod on June 14, 2021, 03:03:45 PM
Did I just read that right. Forza Horizon 5 coming straight to gamepass in November. The standard edition at least.

Yes, you did - there's around 30 games announced for day one release on games pass, which doesn't seem too shabby.

*edit* sorry, distracted as I posted, and that was meant to be around six of 30 games are day one releases.

Forza Horizon 4 did the same thing. You can also buy the "Premium Add-Ons Bundle" which turns it into the £85 Premium edition with both expansions, the car pass, VIP status and the welcome pack for £36.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/forza-horizon-5-premium-add-ons-bundle/9mz0sr207mg8

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I'll end up doing what I did for FH4, play the base game for free on gamepass and buy the dlc when it comes out.

Hobo

Game and Smyths (there may be others) are letting you buy through Klarna over two years, so I've got a Series S and ultimate pass for 20.99 a month.

Neomod

Sound good?

Playing this now. Lot's of fun.

bgmnts

Sound good?

Sniper is great. I think there is a level where you have to KILL HITLER and you can shoot his bollocks off.

Neomod

Quote from: bgmnts on August 09, 2021, 11:22:22 AM
Sniper is great. I think there is a level where you have to KILL HITLER and you can shoot his bollocks off.

The specificity of the achievements reflects that. Just unlocked this one.

Pink Gregory

It takes a cold, cold man to shoot a downed man in the jeffries.

Blue Jam

Just subscribed to Game Pass again. Gonna try Psychonauts 2, plus some stuff I know I'll probably enjoy like Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Wolfenstein: Old Blood and The Evil Within/2. Like the look of ReCore. What else is good?

Barry Admin

Blue Jam

Oh good one, must have missed that wjole scrolling. Cheers Bazza!

Barry Admin

Be interested to hear what you make of it!

Pink Gregory

The Old Blood is the best new Wolfenstein game; about half the length of the New Order and that's the main point in its favour.

Zetetic

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 07, 2021, 04:32:38 PM
What else is good?
Maybe Snowrunner. It might appeal to something Subnautica-ish, but I fear I'm overgeneralising or projecting and you won't find it at all compelling.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 07, 2021, 04:32:38 PM
Just subscribed to Game Pass again. Gonna try Psychonauts 2, plus some stuff I know I'll probably enjoy like Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Wolfenstein: Old Blood and The Evil Within/2. Like the look of ReCore. What else is good?

Have you heard of The Entire Yakuza Franchise?

Barry Admin

I never quite finished Rage 1 at the time, but am loving going through it again at the moment. Looks fucking badass for a 360 game, too. If you liked Borderlands and enjoy card games that are just subgames but end up being one of the best parts of the game, get Rage.