Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:40:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Angel Olsen - Whole New Mess

Started by El Unicornio, mang, August 28, 2020, 11:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

All Mirrors was my favourite album of last year, and she's back with a new one, although most of the tracks are more intimate versions of songs from the previous one. An interesting concept which I'm surprised artists don't do more often. Songs can be rejigged, reformatted and presented in so many different ways. Great music to wander around on a gloomy windswept day to.

Thomas

I only started listening to Angel Olsen after hearing 'All Mirrors' over the credits of Horse Girl. Some of her music and vocals blow me away. Can't listen to 'Lark' in public. A stunning voice. I'm always late to new releases so I'll check this out, thankya.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 28, 2020, 11:47:28 AM
most of the tracks are more intimate versions of songs from the previous one. An interesting concept which I'm surprised artists don't do more often. Songs can be rejigged, reformatted and presented in so many different ways.

St. Vincent released an acoustic version of Masseduction (retitled MassEducation), and I think her reworked 'Fast Slow Disco' is superior to the original 'Slow Disco'.

Neomod

Yeah, I was going to mention St Vincent's MassEducation who funnily enough I first heard doing acoustic versions of Surgeon and Cheerleader on a CBB episode.

Angel Olsen is ace. I love this live version of High and Wild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqDzxt-TbqM

BlodwynPig

Awaiting my pink vinyl version of this.

Egyptian Feast

Is it out today? Mine's been held up as it came with a signed print and they're stuck in the US postal system.

I'm very interested in hearing this. All Mirrors got me into her stuff and was probably my favourite album of last year, but I think I prefer her previous two LPs. It's not an album I can put on in the background, it keeps trying to get my attention.

Wet Blanket

I love it. I was left a bit cold by All Mirrors, I find these stripped down versions do better justice to the melodies and general heartbreak vibe.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Thomas on August 28, 2020, 11:53:22 AM

St. Vincent released an acoustic version of Masseduction (retitled MassEducation), and I think her reworked 'Fast Slow Disco' is superior to the original 'Slow Disco'.

Good stuff, love St. Vincent.

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on August 28, 2020, 12:39:21 PM
Is it out today?

Yep

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Thomas on August 28, 2020, 11:53:22 AM
Can't listen to 'Lark' in public.

I'm exactly the same. What a stunning song in every way. Hits me very hard in the emotional centre of my world. It's a cryer.