Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Get back in the cubicle, wage slave!

Started by Alberon, August 28, 2020, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 07, 2020, 10:16:49 AM
Back at work for the first time since March.

My inbox has been full since 3 August. Fucking result.

Bin the lot. It's all out of date.

shiftwork2

Aye, if it was important they would have chased it at a later date.

Sebastian Cobb

At one horrid workplace with an absentee boss and a culture of passive-aggressive cc'ing I set up a rule to just move cc'd stuff into another folder and mark as read. I didn't once get the feeling I'd missed any information.

Puce Moment

Guys, no. I mean, my inbox has been full for over a month so I haven't received any emails in over a month.

Bliss.

Going to delete my chunky files from inbox to free it up for emails, but not with any sense of urgency. If my employer wants to limit my email to 3GB then that's absolutely fucking fine by me!

Consignia

Your running out of space with 3 GBs? How are you using it? Handwriting each email, photographing and sending it as an uncompressed Bitmap?

Blinder Data

The answer might be 'academia'.

My wife has just started a course that required her to download a PowerPoint file that was 500mb. It was twelve slides of videos.

colacentral

If the government wants people to go into cities to eat at pret, they could invest money into the arts, parks, reopening libraries, anything that would motivate people to go in to town of their own free will. As others have said, convert offices into housing so more people actually live around those high streets.

As for threats to jobs, unions etc - if that's going to happen it will happen anyway. It's laughable to think that insisting on going to your office to work will stop it.

Please put yourself in harm's way to protect the economy that we intend to destroy in January.

The Culture Bunker

Seems us Manc council staff are being sent back in because the leader doesn't want the building looking like a ghost ship anymore. I would guess he's also getting it in the neck from businesses based in the city centre. I'm expecting them to press ahead with the plans even if cases continue to rise across Greater Manchester.

Fambo Number Mive

That Williams column is such a lazy, unhelpful load of shite. Comments turned off, of course.

Quote...I didn't work in an office in the first place. I haven't had a desk since the 90s, and that was in a time-warp of a workplace, more like the 30s: people would arrive, stay long enough to put their coat on a chair and then go to the pub...

I'm sure people reading the Guardian on the train as they go back to a crowded office will love it.

dissolute ocelot

Since every vaguely professional job I've had has been in an out of town business park/research park/campus/random hut, with more chance of seeing a live rabbit than a Pret A Manger, I have to wonder if I'm exempt from cries to go back to work to save the economy. I miss feeding my packed lunch to the swans though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 08, 2020, 11:52:00 AM
That Williams column is such a lazy, unhelpful load of shite. Comments turned off, of course.

It was amazing, 'I miss offices because it was very convenient for me, a home worker, to have everyone I needed to harangue in one place'.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 08, 2020, 12:35:40 PM
Since every vaguely professional job I've had has been in an out of town business park/research park/campus/random hut, with more chance of seeing a live rabbit than a Pret A Manger, I have to wonder if I'm exempt from cries to go back to work to save the economy. I miss feeding my packed lunch to the swans though.

Last time I worked on one of them the burger van knocked pret out of the sky. I say burger van, there was a lot more than that going on, stews, curries etc.

Fambo Number Mive

That Williams article, like much of Comment is Free, wouldn't be out of place in the Times or Telegraph. It's another example of the Guardian helping the Tories.

Puce Moment

Yet so many of my left (read centre lib) feel it should be funded to protect its future.

What is wrong with them?

Had my Occupational Health meeting today. No standing up at work for a month, plus half days only until November. OK!

seepage

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 07, 2020, 01:44:41 PM
The answer might be 'academia'.

My wife has just started a course that required her to download a PowerPoint file that was 500mb. It was twelve slides of videos.

"Official" document template at work contained about 500 MB just of pictures. So one-page docs that would otherwise be a few KB were at least 500 MB. I'd edit and compress the template down for my team's use but no sooner I'd do that a new official one would arrive for the next fashion season.   

colacentral

Curious that believers in trickle down economics don't seem very confident that the saving we're making on travel and food costs won't just trickle back down into the economy and prop it up, like it does with billionaires who send most of their money outside the UK.

Fambo Number Mive

Lord Sugar on LBC telling people to get back to work. Easy to say that when you have your own office. I presume Sugar doesn't get public transport to work each day.

Quote"We need to get back to work, we need to go and put a suit on, put a dress on, put your makeup on, do your hair and get back into work because you feel better.

"You don't realise how many questions and answers that you actually answer during the course of the day when you're in the office."

Sugar ignores that many people are working from home and answering these "questions and answers", whatever they are, remotely.
In other news:

QuoteLord Alan Sugar has said his central London property investments are "suffering" due to office workers staying home and City-based companies finding out they "don't need" pre-pandemic size premises...

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/lord-sugar-offices-property-covid-a4543551.html

bgmnts

Christ I hope that cunt gets hit by a car. Trying to make lives actively worse.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on September 11, 2020, 11:01:12 AM

Speaking of cunts making things worse. Some Scottish Labour prick is taking credit for and rejoicing the fact that they've got BBC Scotland to drop the First Minister's daily covid briefing.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18712131.bbc-scotland-stopping-daily-live-coverage-nicola-sturgeons-coronavirus-briefings/?ref=twtrec

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on September 11, 2020, 11:01:12 AM
im imagining him getting hit by a car now and it's cheered me right up

Beagle 2

I'm back in two days a week with the rest of the staff on a rota at the moment. Absolutely pointless. They have all the windows open all the time becuase this is apparently a requirement (it's not, is it?). I closed one as I was freezing my tatas off and was reprimanded by the facilities guy who has gone absolutely apeshit doing the place up like a crime scene with danger tape and warning signs. I had to sit in an empty meeting room hunched over my laptop as the desk opposite me was occupied and that's not allowed. I fucked off home at lunchtime as I couldn't feel my fingers.

Or... just stay at home in our completely fine home set ups? I can buy a sandwich from the buttie shop if that makes Rishi feel better, it's ten minutes away.

The sad truth is we just don't need an office. Not that many organisations do, turns out.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 11, 2020, 02:00:28 PM
I'm back in two days a week with the rest of the staff on a rota at the moment. Absolutely pointless. They have all the windows open all the time becuase this is apparently a requirement (it's not, is it?). I closed one as I was freezing my tatas off and was reprimanded by the facilities guy who has gone absolutely apeshit doing the place up like a crime scene with danger tape and warning signs. I had to sit in an empty meeting room hunched over my laptop as the desk opposite me was occupied and that's not allowed. I fucked off home at lunchtime as I couldn't feel my fingers.

Or... just stay at home in our completely fine home set ups? I can buy a sandwich from the buttie shop if that makes Rishi feel better, it's ten minutes away.

The sad truth is we just don't need an office. Not that many organisations do, turns out.

I did the same last week. It's clear although "the organisation" want people to stay put and are looking at keeping that in longer term, someone between the top-bollocks and my boss there's someone who wants a bit of the old presenteeism. We had a rota and are using every other desk, there are other people that need the space more (for the workshop/lab). So we went in, found the place overcrowded because other people were in, assuming we weren't going to be.

I was going to weasel out of coming in, but someone needed help with something, which turned out to be useless as 2M away I couldn't read their screen and in practice probably broke the guidelines while hovering too far away to be useful. When working from home we've helped each other with screen sharing and it was way more effective, even if it involves one person telling what the other person to type in a command-line.

olliebean

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 11, 2020, 02:00:28 PMThey have all the windows open all the time becuase this is apparently a requirement (it's not, is it?).

I don't know if it's a legal requirement (might just be your company's policy), but a through breeze is supposed to lessen the chance of infection as it stops the smaller viral droplets hanging around in the air. Not sure it's going to help if you're sitting downwind of a spreader, though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If it is a requirement then the firm I work for is breaking the law. Our downstairs has grilles fitted and you can 'open' the window but next to fuck all happens.

Pinball

This incompetent Tory government, and indeed probably the worst cohort of politicians across the board in UK history, are well on the way to pissing away the UK economy. And now they want to tax SMEs to death (not global corporations of course). If death by tax is the outcome in 2021, why did they bother to 'bail out' businesses in 2020 (mostly corporations of course)?

Lockdown was too late (by 5 weeks, as Boris didn't bother attending COBRA for 5 weeks, and non-scientist Cummings pushed herd immunity), too little (e.g. ban flights not 14 days quarantine from spreader countries), and subverted by 'eat out'-type dangerous PR stunts (late-August introduction tallies with current rise in cases). Cummings also destroyed any public compliance.

Lots of variables, and I'm rambling, but I think the UK has turned out worse than any country in the world for % economic decline and deaths per capita. Truly unbelievable! How unlucky we are to have the political class omnishambles we currently have in this 'country'. There is no-one worth voting for. They are all abominably shit.

Pinball

Yes, probably the only country in the world who did worse than us!

And what is the genius UK government currently doing? Trying to force UK workers back into their Covid hives. This requires mass civil disobedience IMO, if no-one in government changes the policy. In fairness, many of the government scientists are saying the right things, but scientists are ignored shit on the shoe to these people nowadays. Politicians and their advisor hacks have destroyed scientists and the professions, and we see what is left of UK leadership. A new, very dumb elite. A sort of 'anti-elite' at the wrong end of the Dunning-Kruger curve (i.e. at the peak of 'Mount Stupid'), destroying the country.