Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Get back in the cubicle, wage slave!

Started by Alberon, August 28, 2020, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Pinball

Polymorphia

Quote from: Pinball on September 11, 2020, 10:57:46 PM

And God said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" He said, "I do not know; am I my brother's keeper?" And the Lord said, "What have you done? Listen; your brother's blood is crying out to me from the ground! And now you are cursed from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand. When you till the ground, it will no longer yield to you its strength; you will be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth."

olliebean

Quote from: Pinball on September 11, 2020, 11:02:10 PM
Yes, probably the only country in the world who did worse than us!

Don't worry, we're working hard to steal that coveted bottom place. If Covid doesn't get us there, Brexit will.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 11, 2020, 10:43:21 AM
Lord Sugar on LBC telling people to get back to work. Easy to say that when you have your own office. I presume Sugar doesn't get public transport to work each day.

Sugar ignores that many people are working from home and answering these "questions and answers", whatever they are, remotely.
In other news:

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/lord-sugar-offices-property-covid-a4543551.html

he's braindead, look at the phrase "questions and answers that we have to answer". Answering answers. He's thick as pig shit and I would beat the living crap out of him if I had the chance.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on September 11, 2020, 11:44:45 PM
state of that graph

its a very informative graph, similar to the Gartner Hype Cycle graphs

Braintree

This should have always been the policy. I get some people are struggling due to space etc but a lot of people have been dragged into an office when they didn't want to and didn't need to; causing those that need to be there to get ill along with everyone. It is pretty clear that workplaces are not staggering timings either so we still have a rush hour.

Attila

Super waffly new restrictions in the Guardian now. Apparently the covid adheres to curfews and knows to go after the 16th person attending a wedding.

My university will use the loophole that we are a 'covid safe' campus to keep us open (Mr Attila doesn't believe me,,,but there's to be 'an announcement' following the PM's new dictat from the VC this afternoon). The VC keeps insisting that we are a 'covid-free' and a covid-safe campus -- despite classrooms where you can't open windows, shiny new hand sanitiser boxes that have nothing in them, students already reporting that they have to self-isolate (and we're only 2 days into the semester).

On the plus side, I guess that means at least the trains I have to take will be deserted, if Monday was any indication.

Working & even teaching from home, I have got so much done - no worry about the commute, no 4 hours wasted out of my day on the commute, so much savings...just going to campus Monday, that was four hours eaten out of the day to teach for 45 minutes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 22, 2020, 11:18:09 AM
Least surprising U-turn ever

A basic admission it wasn't just young people at raves.

I know we can't hurt Bezos, Zuckerberg etc but it would be great if commercial and residential land barons had to sell some of their properties to make ends meet.

"Why working from home is antisemitic" writes commercial property landlord, Siralan Sugar, only in your super, soaraway Sun/

Pinball

'Work from home if you can'. Sensible and long overdue, and should have always been the case until we're out of the woods.

The Culture Bunker

So, the big cheeses at my workplace sent out an email (very) late on Friday evening saying there's no excuse to be working at home anymore, as the workplace is clean and safe. Also a line about how important it is for our mental health to be in the office and how we need to support local business in a "virtuous circle".

olliebean

Surely the unarguable excuse for working at home is that the government has officially said you should.

The Culture Bunker

Apparently the city council are going to ask for "local powers" to basically force us back in. I fully expect this to be granted, as it's a win/win for them.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 27, 2020, 09:47:05 PM
So, the big cheeses at my workplace sent out an email (very) late on Friday evening saying there's no excuse to be working at home anymore, as the workplace is clean and safe. Also a line about how important it is for our mental health to be in the office and how we need to support local business in a "virtuous circle".

'oh wow we love mental health now'

insulting.

bgmnts

Certain work is obviously good for mental health but fuck me if going to the office improves your mental health god help you.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on September 27, 2020, 10:58:00 PM
Certain work is obviously good for mental health but fuck me if going to the office improves your mental health god help you.

Yeah but most office work is just kafkaesque busywork that chips away at you because you know deep down that's what it is.

The idea that it's bad for 'lonely people' must be bunk, lonely people aren't going to feel less lonely in forced interactions.

Presenteeism on the other hand is demonstrably awful for mental health and that's what forcing people back to the office when they can work from home is being done in the name of.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 27, 2020, 10:55:19 PM
'oh wow we love mental health now'

insulting.
It's fairly obvious they're saying it as a "we're doing you a favour" when the real reason is they want us back up in the city consuming crap on our lunchbreaks, as well as spending a fair wedge getting there and back.

Alberon

It's staggering that they pick now to go "Yep, everything is going fine. Let's get them back in."

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Alberon on September 27, 2020, 11:27:35 PM
It's staggering that they pick now to go "Yep, everything is going fine. Let's get them back in."
There was talk back in August of the first Monday in October being the day to start bringing people back in. I assume they just can't be arsed going back on the plan now. It'll be interesting to see if there's any reaction when most people see the message tomorrow morn.

To add, this is in Manchester, where a fair few of my colleagues live in areas (Oldham, Stockport) under local lockdown measures. Not important, apparently.

Cloud

Yeah pulled back in the moment it was legal at the start of August, can't see them letting us WFH again unless it became law again that they have to prove why you absolutely need to be there.  They were reluctant enough already and needed detailed daily reports to keep the managers sane (well, they said brief report officially, but then I had the response of "we need to know more about what you're up to").  The current thing is 'guidance' not law, so they just say they're Covid Secure(TM).  Plus the MD let slip at one point that he thinks it's all hysteria.

They're convinced it's not really possible to do things efficiently by distance, and no amount of showing things like Zoom, Teams and Slack to them ever sinks in as it seems however hard you try to communicate down to their level and not be too technical, they see it as too technical.

Sebastian Cobb

Places like that are just going to lose people to places that don't take such a regressive stance.

Uncle TechTip

You've got to leave in the first place, though. And who would leave at a time like this. Unions need to be shouting more about this. Demand proof that office is more productive from those forcing people back.

Sebastian Cobb

Short term, yes. But other more pragmatic places are looking at greater flexibility or whether offices are good. It doesn't help anyone now but it could leave old fashioned places standing.

Or everyone will forget and force people back slowly for symbiotic money making reasons, one of the two.

jamiefairlie

It's fucking criminally cretinous behaviour and it will explode all over their faces, costing people their health and some their lives in a futile act of hubris that is Canute-esque in its futility and disregard for the general welfare of the population. People should be put on trial for this.

I cannot believe some still measure productivity by hours of effort rather than by measures of achievement. I don't want my staff to work hard, I want them to achieve things, and the less hard they have to work the better, that means they're getting smarter and more efficient.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotehow we need to support local business in a "virtuous circle".

In what conceivable way is forcing a load of office drones on minimum, or a bit above to commute to and from an office establishing a circle in which they profit mutually and equally? What a load of fucking tosh. They should be firmly and professionally told individuals have no moral obligation to service the rent of landlords or to support businesses based in specific areas.

They should also be reminded that IT'S TOO LATE. YOU CHOSE THE LAISSEZ-FAIRE CAPITALIST APPROACH THAT LETS HEAVY INDUSTRY DIE OUT, SKILLED JOBS DISAPPEAR AND REPLACED BY DEAD END OFFICE, HOSPITALITY AND RETAIL. YOU PROMOTED THIS SYSTEM, YOU CREATED IT, YOU SUPPORT IT. NOW IT'S TIME FOR YOU LIVE THROUGH ITS COLLAPSE.