Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:57:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Get back in the cubicle, wage slave!

Started by Alberon, August 28, 2020, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm back in office 50% of the time. In March we were told to WFH, and now we're told our building is Covid secure. The building is supposedly Covid secure  yet they've had to call past control in last week to rid the building of fleas.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 28, 2020, 01:15:48 AM
Unions need to be shouting more about this. Demand proof that office is more productive from those forcing people back.
At my place at least, they've been very quiet and non-confrontational. Perhaps the view is that if we all work from home, we're costing other people their jobs, especially in retail and transport?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on September 28, 2020, 07:54:09 AM
I'm back in office 50% of the time. In March we were told to WFH, and now we're told our building is Covid secure. The building is supposedly Covid secure  yet they've had to call past control in last week to rid the building of fleas.

DOWN TOOLS, this is quite obviously criminal and ridiculous. Give me your bosses telephone number.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 28, 2020, 08:18:56 AM
At my place at least, they've been very quiet and non-confrontational. Perhaps the view is that if we all work from home, we're costing other people their jobs, especially in retail and transport?

Jobs, even entire industries come and go all the time, especially on the high street. We've been told since forever that it's a sin to attempt to manipulate a proudly free market economy.
The economy should work for us, not the other way around.
Of course, like everything else in Britain, this mantra only applies whilst the rich are benefiting at the expense of the poor.
Surely people working from home are spending and boosting their local economies now instead of pouring their money into town and city centres..?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on September 28, 2020, 09:15:08 AMSurely people working from home are spending and boosting their local economies now instead of pouring their money into town and city centres..?
Certainly it's the case where I live, though that's somewhere with a fairly active local hub with plenty of independent shops.

Who obviously don't have the sway on the local authority that, say, Subway, Stagecoach and Greggs might have.

kittens

been transferred to a new branch during furlough. got there this morning, no one there and i don't have the key. fucking result. shove me back on furlough where i belong. just one more day, that is all i ask.

Dr Rock

I see that nice Mr Sunik is going to give me two more lots of FREE CASH.

QuoteThe extension will provide two grants and will last for six months from November 2020 to April 2021. Grants will be paid in two lump sum instalments each covering a three-month period.

The first grant will cover 3 months' worth of profits from the start of November until the end of January. It will be worth 20% of average monthly profits and will capped at £1,875 in total.

olliebean

Wow, a smidge over £600/month. You'll be rolling in it, assuming you don't need to eat or pay your bills.

Blinder Data

If the situation improves, I might be in the office before Christmas for a meeting or two. In any case, my organisation would be among the last to be encouraged to return. I reckon it could be a full 12 months before I see the office again - I'll be bald by then!

I miss idle chitchat with colleagues but not as much as I appreciate the total elimination of commuting costs.

Cloud

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 28, 2020, 12:06:38 AM
Places like that are just going to lose people to places that don't take such a regressive stance.

True.  It's a longstanding problem here from long before covid - we never keep any talent for any reasonable length of time and are just perpetually training up new people with the staff turnover being so high.  But yeah as always, the need to move on comes into focus at exactly the time when it's a huge risk taking a leap to somewhere else and going through probation etc.

Aside from the inefficiency of training people up only for them to leave once they're up to speed, there doesn't seem to be too much problem getting staff and with mass unemployment coming that's unlikely to change, so they can carry on "barely surviving" as before.  There will always be someone willing to get an "old fashioned" job as long as jobs are in short supply...

kittens

sent home boys. dishy rishi has 1 day to bring back furlough and my life will be golden once again

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, what are Mr Pret and Mr Tesco actually going to do to return the favour to the owners of Garytech?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cloud on September 28, 2020, 11:45:21 AM
True.  It's a longstanding problem here from long before covid - we never keep any talent for any reasonable length of time and are just perpetually training up new people with the staff turnover being so high.  But yeah as always, the need to move on comes into focus at exactly the time when it's a huge risk taking a leap to somewhere else and going through probation etc.

Aside from the inefficiency of training people up only for them to leave once they're up to speed, there doesn't seem to be too much problem getting staff and with mass unemployment coming that's unlikely to change, so they can carry on "barely surviving" as before.  There will always be someone willing to get an "old fashioned" job as long as jobs are in short supply...

It's fucking daft though, even if there's no actual courses required to do the work, training people, even if they already know how to do the work in a general sense, is a massive hidden cost.

Cloud

Yeah, there's no courses or such but it takes people at least a few months to really get up to speed on how the company operates, the finer details of the products, the highly complex MRP and CRM systems etc.  Once upon a time we had people who were technical experts on the products for example, now we have 1 (one of those like me who just never leaves) who is due to retire before too long.  No one else stays long enough!

We don't even have a Pret nearby.  And work is a 6 minute drive from home.  But hey, they needed my physical presence today to show someone how to get to the recent calls list on their phone and refused to be talked through it.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 28, 2020, 07:52:31 AM
In what conceivable way is forcing a load of office drones on minimum, or a bit above to commute to and from an office establishing a circle in which they profit mutually and equally?

Reminds me of this bit from Frasier:
Niles: When you think about it, our only mistake today was trying to fix that toilet ourselves.
Frasier: Yes, we tampered with the natural order of things.
Niles: But now, order has been restored. By hiring a plumber, that plumber can now afford, say, a Dolly Parton album. Miss Parton can then finance a national tour which will, of course, come to Seattle, allowing some local promoter to make enough money to send his cross-dressing teenage son to us for $150-an-hour therapy.
Frasier: To the circle of life.

wooders1978

Head honch now stating "mental health" as a reason for us all to head into the office - the absolute state of it

bgmnts

Yeah no joke, have I always been way off base being so anti-office work in terms of mental health? Is it legitimately better for you? Fuck.

NoSleep

Aren't they just parroting Alan Sugar's cuntish spiel?