Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:54:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Get back in the cubicle, wage slave!

Started by Alberon, August 28, 2020, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

It's insane all this stuff about "people won't know what's going on in their business or ever hear from their managers if they're working from home." I've had jobs where I've gone into the office all year and never heard from the boss for one year to the next; I'm sure one boss didn't come into the office for several months while he was doing a little sly property development and we only heard from him when he sent round an email asking if anybody wanted to rent a flat. Currently I get to see far more of most management through tedious Teams chats than I would if I was working in the office, and this way access isn't restricted to people who play squash with the boss (yes this actually happens in my office I don't live in an 80s sitcom) or go to a shitty overpriced canteen with senior management.

Also, they're digging up the roads near my home for the next year, so I'm hoping to continue working from home at least till that's finished.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 01, 2020, 11:19:49 AM
It's insane all this stuff about "people won't know what's going on in their business or ever hear from their managers if they're working from home." I've had jobs where I've gone into the office all year and never heard from the boss for one year to the next.

Snap decisions that were made in meetings only the boss and their leads were at. People moan they don't know what's going on so they set up a monthly meeting that mostly reports on things that have already happened and never things that might happen whether management are aware of them or not.

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 31, 2020, 09:01:00 PM
I think you're forgetting about the independent dry cleaners, don't forget the dry cleaners.

High streets have been slowly dying off for the past decade or so, the pub trade is on its knees. But we as a country will not stand idly by and watch our beloved sandwich makers suffer.

Pinball

If only Pret had an online presence and did home deliveries via Deliveroo from 120 of its stores.

You just can't find good government propagandists nowadays.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pinball on September 01, 2020, 04:50:50 PM
If only Pret had an online presence and did home deliveries via Deliveroo from 120 of its stores.

You just can't find good government propagandists nowadays.

They put all they shops near the offices and not near the houses. Business fail.

Pinball

It'll be fine. At least a third of the office space will be turned into housing once the companies leave.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pinball on September 01, 2020, 04:55:22 PM
It'll be fine. At least a third of the office space will be turned into housing once the companies leave.

Work from home

Pinball

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: Pinball on September 01, 2020, 08:09:39 PM
Working from home in converted offices!

Work at home and live in the office, I would, nice location,  nice big kitchen and plenty of bogs, the house I live in has the lavvy downstairs, that's a bark

Cloud

Working out the best time to take a week off to avert the brunt of the covid-enhanced back-to-school bug season.  I always get a shitty cold a couple of weeks into September after they spread it about then spread it to their parents who bring it to the office.  I'm thinking week after next should be a reasonable shout taking into account ~5 day incubation per generation and the probability of is spreading around the kids for a bit before reaching someone I work with.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on September 01, 2020, 10:55:23 PM
Work at home and live in the office, I would, nice location,  nice big kitchen and plenty of bogs, the house I live in has the lavvy downstairs, that's a bark

An outside netty, surely?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Pinball on September 01, 2020, 08:09:39 PM
Working from home in converted offices!

What could possibly go wrong?

Eros House, Catford

On the subject, this looks a bit flimsy at first sight but it's very good:

R4 doc from earlier in the year

pigamus

The Daily Mail front page is very funny. Reeks of desperation - they're pulling all the levers and it's not working.

Quote from: pigamus on September 02, 2020, 08:35:38 AM
The Daily Mail front page is very funny. Reeks of desperation - they're pulling all the levers and it's not working.

Thing is, they don't need to shame people back into the office. They just need to make the retirees that buy their shit-rag angry at the people who won't go back to the office.

Quote from: pigamus on September 02, 2020, 08:35:38 AM

momatt

I wonder how many Daily Mail journalists are working from home?

Jerzy Bondov

We don't even have Pret down here. Do I have to hire some office space in Exeter so I can go there for work and support Are Brave Pret?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 02, 2020, 12:25:04 PM
We don't even have Pret down here. Do I have to hire some office space in Exeter so I can go there for work and support Are Brave Pret?

The footnote in the FT article about this suggests Pret would do well to drive around housing estates like an ice cream van.
SCREENGRAB HERE>>>> https://i.imgur.com/8nT77pG.png

A drop in the number of commuters to city centres would be a blow for businesses like Pret that were perfectly calibrated for the pre-Covid era of pressure-cooker urban hubs. But there will be winners too. Already, people are spending more money in independent shops and cafés on suburban high streets. New opportunities abound. Pret could buy a fleet of vans to drive around residential areas, playing a tune to draw workers out of their homes for a coffee.

The Culture Bunker

Looks like they'll be rolling me back in for an initial three days a week come October, alas. Was nice while it lasted, I suppose.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 02, 2020, 12:34:46 PM
Looks like they'll be rolling me back in for an initial three days a week come October, alas. Was nice while it lasted, I suppose.

Tell them to get fucked. No vaccine, no office.

EOLAN

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 02, 2020, 10:34:37 AM

Second image looks rather idyllic to me. So is the image of a calm spacious public transport hub meant to be more terrifying than a bunch of cramped, smelly, sweaty commuters rushing across each other to make their cramped trains.

Sebastian Cobb

Hope any businesses that push for presenteeism lose lots of staff to places that don't.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 02, 2020, 01:49:28 PM
Why is there no article before UK

might be supposed to be a play on the word "US"? can't think of any other reason. fucking daily mail cunts, btw.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on September 02, 2020, 12:44:25 PM
Tell them to get fucked. No vaccine, no office.
Not really sure it's an option, at least if I want to keep my job. My line manager was hoping the current arrangements would stay, but there's pressure from up top of the organisation to get "back to normal", I suspect.

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 02, 2020, 08:13:01 AM
An outside netty, surely?

How dare you!, nah it's at the back of the house behind the kitchen, still a pain in the arse, might purchase an old fashioned Victoria piss bucket thing

GMTV

I get some of you are enjoying the lack of commute, but I can't help but think long term mass WFH will result in worse terms and working patterns than there would be if most folk went back to the office. Will be much easier for them to introduce cunty changes, cut rates, ensure no unions etc. I'm struggling to see it working out better overall for everyone.