Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DUMA: fucking nasty metal noise from Nairobi

Started by The Mollusk, August 28, 2020, 05:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

New release from the excellent Nyege Nyege Tapes label. I did not know they were putting stuff like this out. Fuckin horrible music, proper terror shit. Grind/industrial/gabber tendencies but really abstract and combined with African beats that take on spine-chilling and primal forms. Mad waves of haunting noise, absolutely brutal metal vocals, fucking brilliant.

The album's 37 mins of total shit the bed don't open your eyes what might be standing there when you open your eyes don't fall asleep you're dead. The production is awesome as well, vocals that are filtered and ducked back in the mix, huge sense of space to this music, really is like standing in a nightmare realm with no sense of space or time. God this is absolutely amazing. If you're into the new wave of nasty dissonant death metal that's been doing the rounds in recent years then this will tick your boxes without a doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd35MhHqjhc

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

This is pretty sweet thanks for the heads up.

Dirty Boy

Listening now. Not bad at all, sounds like Death Grips with a higher bpm and added Black Metal vocals.

I've a backlog of extreme/grind/sludge/noise to get through. Heard a few good things recently if you're interested.

QDRPHNC

Dirty Boy

Nothing other than Phil Minton could ever be a Phil Minton thing, The Phil-meister is in a Skat bunker of one.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 28, 2020, 08:44:47 PM
Listening now. Not bad at all, sounds like Death Grips with a higher bpm and added Black Metal vocals.

I've a backlog of extreme/grind/sludge/noise to get through. Heard a few good things recently if you're interested.

I am.

Dirty Boy

Okay, currently enjoying new albums from Couch Slut
Mrs Piss,
Fistula
Primitive Man

Bonus insanity: Titan to Tachyons

Far too drunk to describe what they sound like. Fucking horrible hows that?

Dirty Boy

Somehow i forgot to mention the Oranssi Pazuzu  who continue to evolve and outgrow the black metal thing that's usually placed on them. I haven't given the new one enough of my time yet, but on first listen it appears to be a right glorious psychedelic racket.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 29, 2020, 10:00:26 AM
Somehow i forgot to mention the Oranssi Pazuzu  who continue to evolve and outgrow the black metal thing that's usually placed on them. I haven't given the new one enough of my time yet, but on first listen it appears to be a right glorious psychedelic racket.

played with these lads once. incredible group. they were more like a black psych thing then (2 years ago mb?)

DUMA rip. Great reco.

JaDanketies

The Mollusk

Cheers for the recs gang. I fuckin love Oranssi Pazuzu. One of those things where on paper it's like "psychedelic black metal? Are you having a fucking laugh" but as soon as you whack it on you just gel with it, they're excellent

I like Portal as well but they don't 100% cut the mustard like some other bands do. The best stuff I've heard is Permanent Destitution by Hissing and In A World Forgotten by Infernal Coil, both of which are almost like bizarre paintings, you walk into a room and they're staring back at you and they grab you and don't let you go. Gripping and nightmarish works of art.

JaDanketies

Now that I've whacked it on I'm getting more The Berzerker crossed with Gnaw Their Tongues and Igorr and that band that was just a bunch of people screaming. Makes my other reccs sound like bubblegum pop

full album here: https://nyegenyegetapes.bandcamp.com/album/duma

QuotePrimitive Man

was watching primitive man music videos the other night, definitely worth checking them out

boki

Good to see this getting some love, was put onto it by those fine chaps at the Independent Music Podcast.

hummingofevil

Had a rare evening actually spending time with girlfriend so we been listening to loads of Salt N Pepa and Elvis. She just fucked off to bed pissed so stuck headphones on. Mrs Piss has made me beam. Awesome.

Captain Crunch

I wouldn't sit around listening to this because of the crappy drum machine but I bet it's amazing live. 

thugler

I like this, doesn't sound like metal to me though, does the rest sound more like the op description?

Enjoyed the other links in the thread too

The Mollusk

Quote from: thugler on August 30, 2020, 08:55:31 PM
I like this, doesn't sound like metal to me though, does the rest sound more like the op description?

Enjoyed the other links in the thread too

It is quite a varied record, even if it does all seem to encapsulate the same intrinsic vibe. The vocals and the pounding beats on a lot of the tracks very closely resemble grindcore. Granted it's probably closer to being something like industrial powerviolence but I would still say that overall the tone of it is very metal even if it isn't "metal" in the traditional sense, much in the same way that I'd say Death Grips has a really modern "punk" aesthetic. Some of the atmospherics on this Duma record remind me of Death Grips, actually.

McFlymo

So much good music posted in this thread and really enjoyed DUMA too! Thanks!