Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:25:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UK Government contracts in a time of COVID

Started by Buelligan, August 29, 2020, 12:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I haven't posted on this board for ages, just don't have time but I saw this vid from DoubleDown News today and thought I really should share it.  Apologies if it's already done the rounds.

Conservatives hand Coronavirus Contracts Worth Millions to Friends | Peter Geoghegan.  It's only five and a half minutes but it encapsulates something that's been buzzing about here and there very well I think.  Do watch it if you have time.  It needs addressing.  It needs publicising.

BlodwynPig

*Blodwyn mentions he's just been handed a government contract*

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like they're using some weird credit checking agency in the application process for covid tests.

Buelligan

As these cunts always say, if you've got nothing to hide...  I never give details or permissions to any of these people, I strongly urge others to do the same.  IMO, their interest in personal data-gathering does not lie in public health or in any other public good, quite the opposite.

But the shocking thing (a shocking thing) is, the British government are giving responsible citizens a choice, use this online facility, paid for by your good selves and be forced to hand over personal private data to a foreign commercial interest or be made to go to a test centre, presumably moving about in common areas when you believe you are infectious.  If you're in a vulnerable group, isolated, without transport and so on, hand it over or fuck off.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on August 29, 2020, 01:31:24 PM
As these cunts always say, if you've got nothing to hide...  I never give details or permissions to any of these people, I strongly urge others to do the same.  IMO, their interest in personal data-gathering does not lie in public health or in any other public good, quite the opposite.

I agree but sadly it doesn't take much to convince people to agree to data harvesting. There's enough people saying yes that while they can't make you agree, they can deny you basic services if you don't. Taking a stand is honourable but certainly costs you in inconvenience.

Buelligan

These parasites are so brazen now, they don't even bother to cover their tracks.

I know I'm an obstinate fucker but seriously, I'd honestly rather do anything than oblige these people.  I don't care about convenience, I haven't seen any of that for a long long time.

(Yesterday, I cleaned someone's house, then walked 40 minutes to my other job - brisk walking - did a five and a half hour shift, standing, hard physical work, with no breaks or stops, then walked home again, another 40 minutes, both ways in the pissing rain and working in wet clothes.  All on minimum wage - not the walking, I do that in my own time, for fun.  FUCK CONVENIENCE.)

Fambo Number Mive

"Fraudulent use of testing services"? How is that even a thing?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 29, 2020, 01:41:11 PM

Like voter fraud, it's probably a negligible issue inflated for political reasons.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 29, 2020, 01:45:36 PM
Like voter fraud, it's probably a negligible issue inflated for political reasons.

Its not even that.

Buelligan

It's a lever to prevent people asking why their government is making them hand over their private information to a a foreign business whilst implying that outsiders are gaming the system (so we should blame people like immigrants). 

Don't think about what the words mean, just take our word for it and obey.

BlodwynPig

Any way to push back against this?

Of course not

Democracy

mr. logic

Quote from: Buelligan on August 29, 2020, 01:39:43 PM
These parasites are so brazen now, they don't even bother to cover their tracks.

I know I'm an obstinate fucker but seriously, I'd honestly rather do anything than oblige these people.  I don't care about convenience, I haven't seen any of that for a long long time.

(Yesterday, I cleaned someone's house, then walked 40 minutes to my other job - brisk walking - did a five and a half hour shift, standing, hard physical work, with no breaks or stops, then walked home again, another 40 minutes, both ways in the pissing rain and working in wet clothes.  All on minimum wage - not the walking, I do that in my own time, for fun.  FUCK CONVENIENCE.)

What does your job have to do with anything?

BlodwynPig

Johnny Yesno

Hahaha! I ordered a C19 test and I didn't even have any symptoms. Take that The Man.

Buelligan

Quote from: mr. logic on August 31, 2020, 03:05:33 PM
What does your job have to do with anything?

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, I just don't visit this board very often.  I intended it to illustrate my expectations as far as things being convenient go.

Why are you interested, if you don't mind me asking?  Having a quick flick through your posting history I note your interest is often piqued by me.  I find that very flattering but you're welcome to stop any time at all, really.  I hope I'm not embarrassing you by mentioning it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/04/dominic-cummings-allys-pr-firm-hanbury-strategy-given-covid-19-contracts-without-tenders

QuoteA lobbying and PR firm co-founded by an ally of Dominic Cummings has been given two government contracts without competitive tenders during the pandemic.

The Cabinet Office and Treasury contracts have been awarded to Hanbury Strategy, co-founded by Paul Stephenson, who worked alongside Cummings as the director of communications for the 2016 Vote Leave campaign. The other Hanbury founder, Ameet Gill, was David Cameron's director of strategy in Downing Street.

Hanbury is the fourth Tory–linked firm to have been awarded work since the start of the pandemic under emergency rules that allow public bodies to bypass the standard procurement rules requiring an open competitive tendering process.

The Cabinet Office failed to publicise the existence of its contract with Hanbury, despite official guidelines that they should be made public within 30 days.

The grift goes on.

Quote from: Quote on September 04, 2020, 04:53:02 PM
The grift goes on.

There's going to be lovely boardroom positions handed out over the next decade for some lucky folk.