Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

guitar IR (impulse response) loaders

Started by BeardFaceMan, August 29, 2020, 01:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Anyone use these? I'm trying to record some guitar on my pc so I thought I'd try an IR loader, got some IR files but I can't get it to work, it doesn't make a lot of difference. It looks like I also need to use a pre-amp, so how would I go about doing this? I need to set up some sort of effects chain in my DAW with a pre-amp and an IR loader? Any recs for a pre-amp I can use (I'm trying to use Urgitone TRVE CAB as the IR loader)?

El Unicornio, mang

I just record my stuff directly (with no effects) then apply the IRs afterwards as VSTs in the DAW. There are good ones with a ton of built-in IRs like Amplitube or Altiverb (for reverb/room sounds). From what I know, IRs on their own don't do anything, you have to load them into a particular VST (like the aforementioned). You can also make your own, like say you wanted to make an IR of your bathroom. You will need a preamp to get a decent signal, the Scarlett 2i2 is a well regarded budget option.

BeardFaceMan

I'm going to need something physical for a preamp, I can't just use a VST?

touchingcloth

I can't offer any tips because I've never used it myself, but from experience with a couple of friends who do you should expect a fairly big difference in the sound. It's sounded like fucking magic when I've heard it in action.

NoSleep

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 29, 2020, 07:09:54 PM
I'm going to need something physical for a preamp, I can't just use a VST?

Yes, you, need an audio interface that can select between line/mic/instrument, the latter being the right impedance for a guitar input.

BeardFaceMan

Without wishing to sound like a dunce (which is hard because I am when it comes to this stuff), doesn't my USB Rocksmith guitar cable do that? I'm able to get amazing tones with their amp software without using a physical preamp, just plugging straight into the pc.

El Unicornio, mang

I guess so, I've never used one. You can even plug directly into the computer mic input but it's not advisable. I use a pre-amp just because I need it for my microphone anyway and it's easy to plug them both into it.

BeardFaceMan

So the way I have it set up now is I plug into my PC with a USB cable, then I have an effects chain in my DAW which goes noise gate, then a tube screamer, then a pre-amp (Ignite Emissary) and then the IR loader (gone with Ignite NadIR cos it was free in a bundle with the pre-amp). It sounds 100 times better than it has any right to considering I'm using all freeware stuff, it's great. Now just need to mess around with finding some good IRs, I'm hoping I'll be able to use a bass pre-amp and some bass IRs to use my guitar to emulate a bass.

BeardFaceMan

OK, so I've managed to get some decent guitar sounds, I've made a midi drum track so that's sorted, all I need to do now is the bass guitar. What are my best options for this, seeing as I don't have a bass (I have a guitar and a Minilab keyboard)? Can I play a bassline with my guitar and pitch it down and use a bass amp vst to get something workable, or am I better off programming a midi track and putting some effects on it?

Capt.Midnight

I'd buy a cheapo 2nd hand bass. Less hassle in the long run. Pitching a guitar down sounds cool, but lacks the fundamental frequencies and timbre of an actual bass.