Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Duke of Burgundy on Film4 1am.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, August 29, 2020, 03:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

https://twitter.com/Film4/status/1299713917963456513

01:05 https://twitter.com/Film4/status/1299713917963456513

It looks like it'll be on all4 afterwards, for those that can't tape it.

Do watch it, it's a fantastic film.

Neomod

Beautifully designed, great soundtrack, pitch perfect performances. Lovely alternative posterwork by Julian House

and of course Fatma Mohamed

BlodwynPig

Puce Moment

Beautiful film!

If you are in the mood for some films that influenced Strickland then look here, and please watch Morgiana (1972).

https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/peter-strickland-six-films-fed-duke-burgundy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaO1yDXbLW8

itsfredtitmus

Some fingering going on. Looked Bergman. Was too drunk listening to The B52s to notice to be honest
Enjoyed Over The Hedge a few days ago on Film4 if that means anything (it doesn't)

Hand Solo

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on August 30, 2020, 03:27:42 AM
Some fingering going on. Looked Bergman. Was too drunk listening to The B52s to notice to be honest
Enjoyed Over The Hedge a few days ago on Film4 if that means anything (it doesn't)

Thanks, Mark Kermode.

itsfredtitmus

I liked Katalin Varga when I saw it a few years ago
But for me Strickland is one of those nu-directors like Wheatley & Panos Cosmatos whose esteem depends on whether you've seen the films he's seen

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on August 30, 2020, 03:56:12 AM
whose esteem depends on whether you've seen the films he's seen
No it isn't!
But ya know what I mean it's very a festival-oriented approach to film. Like Richard Stanley never existed 20 year ago

BlodwynPig

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on August 30, 2020, 04:01:38 AM
No it isn't!
But ya know what I mean it's very a festival-oriented approach to film. Like Richard Stanley never existed 20 year ago

how ye doin' me ol' mucker?

Sebastian Cobb

But for me Strickland is one of those nu-directors like Wheatley & Panos Cosmatos whose esteem depends on whether you've seen the films he's seen

I like varga. Although I'm not sure what you say about Strickland is quite correct. I hadn't seen the films he'd seen, I loved In Fabric then watched his other films too. Which sent me on a trip to his films. Someone here tipped me off to morgiana and then I ended up watching some giallos. If a director can take inspiration from other films, and it prompts you to watch the source and enjoy it, then that's good work imo.

Puce Moment

That's quite a simplification. Can you give an example of where this esteem differs based on knowledge of its predecessors?

zomgmouse

10/10 one of the best of the decade material

greenman

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 30, 2020, 07:56:33 PM
That's quite a simplification. Can you give an example of where this esteem differs based on knowledge of its predecessors?

Indeed, I would say material that depends on direct references isn't that common in his work, that the viewer is aware that graphic Italian horror films or that stylised sex heavy films were made in the 70's seems like enough and that's going to be pretty universal.

Honestly with Duke I felt that for all the style its success was really built on being a heartfelt romantic drama, the BDSM elements seem used as more a way of making the film as a whole strongly sexual without being that graphic.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: greenman on August 31, 2020, 02:48:51 AM
Indeed, I would say material that depends on direct references isn't that common in his work, that the viewer is aware that graphic Italian horror films or that stylised sex heavy films were made in the 70's seems like enough and that's going to be pretty universal.

I agree. The Duke of Burgundy, and all his films, are based on creating an atmosphere or mood rather than evoking particular films. They do copy other films (as do every other director's films), but their success depends on the quality of what is depicted, not on recognising what is being copied. Anna Biller is someone who does similar things, but her work is even more focused on art direction. With both directors, you're appreciating the artistry that goes into it (the direction, art design, costumes, photography, music, etc), not ticking off a checklist of references - it's the antithesis of Scary Movie "this prop was in Silence of the Lambs so I'm not doing any work" half-assed parody filmmaking.

Sebastian Cobb

I've just clocked Berberian Sound Studio is on All4 as well for the next 20 days! Score!

wooders1978

Seems to be only available in standard def on the more4 app, annoying

Sebastian Cobb

If it's on free streaming or has been broadcast free recently, you're legally allowed to download a better copy I reckon. Them's the rules.

BlodwynPig

Puce Moment

Every film should state what perfume is being used in the film in the opening credits.

chveik