Author Topic: The New Mutants (2018 - 2020)  (Read 754 times)

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
The New Mutants (2018 - 2020)
« on: August 30, 2020, 08:06:23 AM »
Well this finally got released this weekend, after more than 2 years of delays, studio interference, Disney arriving on the scene. 

I went in with an open mind really wanting to like it, X-men as horror movie seems like a good idea and a different take.  I'm sure there's a much better movie in there with a longer cut (it's only 98 minutes, I think the director said he had to cut about 20 minutes) but this really felt like either a TV movie or the pilot for a CW show.  It's a lot of teen angst and monsters, they even make a point of having a couple of episodes of Buffy playing on the TV at certain points.

Poor, but points for effort.  Still better than Last Stand and Dark Phoenix though...

Glebe

• But when Bruce Wayne goes it's all gonna collapse.
Re: The New Mutants (2018 - 2020)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 10:50:54 PM »
It appears to be getting shit reviews. Dark Phoenix was almost worst than The Last Stand in some ways.

Glebe

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 10:26:52 AM »
New Mutants review: "Barely merits a bargain-DVD release".

Oof.

I tend to watch most superhero movies but I doubt I'll bother with this, and it'll end up on the unwatched pile with the two Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies and Green Lantern.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 11:15:55 AM »
I tend to watch most superhero movies but I doubt I'll bother with this, and it'll end up on the unwatched pile with the two Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies and Green Lantern.

I liked Green Lantern. I'll watch Ryan Reynolds in anything though.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 11:27:00 AM »
I liked Green Lantern. I'll watch Ryan Reynolds in anything though.

I am vaguely tempted as I like the character, and Reynolds is a likeable enough actor, so might catch it one day, but it's doubtful it'll be any time soon. Which is exciting to know, I know!

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 01:18:55 PM »
I'd rate Green Lantern somewhere above RIPD and below Blade: Trinity, on the Ryan-Reyolds-ometer. The film's okay, but just missing something.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »
I'd rate Green Lantern somewhere above RIPD and below Blade: Trinity, on the Ryan-Reyolds-ometer. The film's okay, but just missing something.

It does feel a bit like a cake without icing. It's OK but there should be icing.

Glebe

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 11:25:50 PM »

Not a fan of the Garfield Spidermans. I tried watching Green Lantern again recently but got bored.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 11:50:52 PM »
Quite liked the first Garfield Spider-Man - likeable cast and some imaginative fight scenes. One of the best Stan Lee cameos too. But then the sequel bombed horribly and took the franchise with it, and it didn't seem worth bothering it.

Green Lantern is just really dull and pointless. And Ryan Reynolds' character is a cunt who doesn't even have a redemption arc! He's just an arsehole.

Tags: