Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:28:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The New Mutants (2018 - 2020)

Started by surreal, August 30, 2020, 08:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Well this finally got released this weekend, after more than 2 years of delays, studio interference, Disney arriving on the scene. 

I went in with an open mind really wanting to like it, X-men as horror movie seems like a good idea and a different take.  I'm sure there's a much better movie in there with a longer cut (it's only 98 minutes, I think the director said he had to cut about 20 minutes) but this really felt like either a TV movie or the pilot for a CW show.  It's a lot of teen angst and monsters, they even make a point of having a couple of episodes of Buffy playing on the TV at certain points.

Poor, but points for effort.  Still better than Last Stand and Dark Phoenix though...

Glebe

It appears to be getting shit reviews. Dark Phoenix was almost worst than The Last Stand in some ways.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on September 04, 2020, 06:57:41 AM
New Mutants review: "Barely merits a bargain-DVD release".

Oof.

I tend to watch most superhero movies but I doubt I'll bother with this, and it'll end up on the unwatched pile with the two Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies and Green Lantern.

SteveDave

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 04, 2020, 10:26:52 AM
I tend to watch most superhero movies but I doubt I'll bother with this, and it'll end up on the unwatched pile with the two Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies and Green Lantern.

I liked Green Lantern. I'll watch Ryan Reynolds in anything though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SteveDave on September 04, 2020, 11:15:55 AM
I liked Green Lantern. I'll watch Ryan Reynolds in anything though.

I am vaguely tempted as I like the character, and Reynolds is a likeable enough actor, so might catch it one day, but it's doubtful it'll be any time soon. Which is exciting to know, I know!

Blumf

I'd rate Green Lantern somewhere above RIPD and below Blade: Trinity, on the Ryan-Reyolds-ometer. The film's okay, but just missing something.

SteveDave

Quote from: Blumf on September 04, 2020, 01:18:55 PM
I'd rate Green Lantern somewhere above RIPD and below Blade: Trinity, on the Ryan-Reyolds-ometer. The film's okay, but just missing something.

It does feel a bit like a cake without icing. It's OK but there should be icing.

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 04, 2020, 10:26:52 AMI tend to watch most superhero movies but I doubt I'll bother with this, and it'll end up on the unwatched pile with the two Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies and Green Lantern.

Not a fan of the Garfield Spidermans. I tried watching Green Lantern again recently but got bored.

Mister Six

Quite liked the first Garfield Spider-Man - likeable cast and some imaginative fight scenes. One of the best Stan Lee cameos too. But then the sequel bombed horribly and took the franchise with it, and it didn't seem worth bothering it.

Green Lantern is just really dull and pointless. And Ryan Reynolds' character is a cunt who doesn't even have a redemption arc! He's just an arsehole.

Glebe

This has finally popped up on Disney+ so I gave it a go.

It's reasonably watchable and the potential for a good movie is there, but it's ultimately just a very silly film with some awful, glib dialogue. How does one person run an entire facility on there own, a facility containing five people with potentially dangerous powers? Okay so it turns out
Spoiler alert
the doctor has her own mutant powers and eventually traps them in bubbles but before that she is drugged at one point and then gets slashed to bits by the wolf girl and ulimately gets eaten by the giant bear.
[close]
So she's not much cop really.

1½ nah mates out of 5.

dissolute ocelot

It feels like some kind of tax dodge. That sort of cast (Anya Taylor-Joy, Maisie Williams, etc) in a story of teenage angst and superpowers should be at least mildly entertaining, but it just feels like they omitted several important stages in the filmmaking process. If you got a bunch of dim 14 year olds who knew nothing about filmmaking, stuck them in a house with the full resources of Hollywood, it's maybe about what you'd expect, but they 14 year olds would at least have fun.