Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris Jingle Clip Questions

Started by Super Hans, May 31, 2005, 01:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Hans

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the clips CM uses on the main opening jingle to his R1 show (although it's probably used on GLR as well)... specifically, the one that begins 'Thank you all for coming. G'night!' - for a start, who says that? And also, where do 'Flick' and 'Who turned off the lights' come from? I've recently discovered that all those 'Goodbyes' are from the end of Public Image Limited's Public Image, but I'm still stuck on the other bits. Is the 'ooh, ooh' from anywhere in particular? Ditto the strange noise that follows it - 'Woah-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh' - or is this just Morris messing about? Finally, what about 'Big it up' (or is it 'Dig it up'?) and the hissed word that comes after both the 'Woah-oh's?

alan strang

Quote from: "Super Hans"specifically, the one that begins 'Thank you all for coming. G'night!' - for a start, who says that? And also, where do 'Flick' and 'Who turned off the lights' come from? I've recently discovered that all those 'Goodbyes' are from the end of Public Image Limited's Public Image, but I'm still stuck on the other bits. Is the 'ooh, ooh' from anywhere in particular?

That's actually the end-jingle from the show which went out before it. The Evening Session I think. Nothing to do with Chris Morris.

TJ

Most of the stuff you mention is actually from the jingle that closes The Evening Session, which went out before the Morris shows.

Super Hans

Ah. Well, thanks for putting me straight!

alan strang

Quote from: "Super Hans"Ah! Well, thanks for putting me straight!

Don't go yet. This is actually a great idea for a thread. Speaking as someone who recently heard The Pixies 'Island De Elcanta' for the first time and realised a chunk of it was used in one of those jingles (ahem, and Nathan Barley...)!

QuoteIs the 'ooh, ooh' from anywhere in particular?

I think it's a looped sample from 'Groove Is In The Heart' by  Deee-Lite, but I could be very very wrong.

Super Hans

Quote from: "alan strang"
QuoteIs the 'ooh, ooh' from anywhere in particular?

I think it's a looped sample from 'Groove Is In The Heart' by  Deee-Lite, but I could be very very wrong.

Well, don't worry about it. I was planning on doing music shows transcripts and thought that identifying the clips in the jingles would be a bit of useful information to add in, but since they're not strictly part of CM's show, I won't bother.

Quote from: "alan strang"Don't go yet. This is actually a great idea for a thread.

What, identifying clips in jingles in general, or specifically these Evening Session ones?

alan strang

Quote from: "Super Hans"Well, don't worry about it. I was planning on doing music shows transcripts and thought that identifying the clips in the jingles would be a bit of useful information to add in, but since they're not strictly part of CM's show, I won't bother.

The stuff that starts after the "Goodbye... bye... bye...bye..." bit fades is from the Chris Morris show though.

Super Hans

Oh right! Sorry, I don't think I've fully woken up yet.

You're almost definitely right about 'Groove is in the Heart' though, I just checked and there's a similar 'ooh' about 3:05m in.

mugwump ji sum

From memory:
The "Pick it up!" and the stuttery saxaphone sound and drums are from Prince's 'Dance On' off of the Lovesexy album.  The oohs and bubbly vocal sample are Bootsy Collins, I think from 'Groove Is In The Heart'.  Is this the one that ends with "Keep Bustin'"? That's from Prince's 'Batdance'.
I don't know about the woah-oh-oh-oh bit.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Super Hans"And also, where do 'Flick' and 'Who turned off the lights' come from?

Full Force's 'Alice I Want You Just For Me' isn't it?

I am weasel

Hmmm. Good idea for a topic!

This might be a hard question to answer because of not being able to hear the bits...but with the Pixies track mentioned - Island De Elcanta - which bit of this was used in which Morris jingles?

alan strang

Quote from: "I am weasel"This might be a hard question to answer because of not being able to hear the bits...but with the Pixies track mentioned - Island De Elcanta - which bit of this was used in which Morris jingles?

It's in this one:

http://rapidshare.de/files/2103752/Chris_Morris_-_Jingle.mp3.html

Paaaaul

[Pixies Pedant] Isla De Encanta [/Pixies Pedant]

alan strang

Quote from: "Paaaaul"[Pixies Pedant] Isla De Encanta [/Pixies Pedant]

Apologies. I'm comparitively new to their stuff.

Jolly good aren't they.

The Mumbler

Of course, there's also "Kick it!" from the Beasties' Fight For Your Right, and one of the jingle montages begins with the opening of The Police's Roxanne.  You know the ones...

A Passing Turk Slipper

Doesn't one of his jingles sample one of the bit's from Driving in my Car by Madness as well?