Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:37:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alite/Alite2020 (classic Elite for Android)

Started by NoSleep, August 31, 2020, 10:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

I've just discovered this version of the game based on the original and working on my phone. The original version of Alite was retired from development three years ago, but somebody has picked it up and started developing it again. Alite2020 can be grabbed from here: https://alite2020.iftopic.com/t2-beta-version-is-released

It looks like the new developer is mostly interested in making the app able to deploy OXP files from the updated desktop computer version of Elite called Oolite (OSX/Win/Linux). OXPs greatly expand and customise the game in many ways, and are something that players can write for themselves. OXPs variously add types of spacecraft and equipment you can purchase, new missions, extra possibilities out in space (e.g.: I used to enjoy "Pirate Coves", which added asteroids that were used as bases by pirates that you could even dock at and trade). http://www.oolite.org/oxps/

I'm going to hold on installing the OXPs for a bit and play some vanilla Alite2020 to get the hang of the controls and combat.

video of the original Alite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPp48UcKlqI&feature=youtu.be

jonbob

Thanks, I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

ASFTSN

Tried the orignal for an hour or so this weekend. Seems like a nice port. I've never played the original Elite so beaned my ship off of the outside of the station and blew it up multiple times. Got the hang of it eventually. The movement by tilting the phone is pretty good. Will keep an eye on the 2020 version with the Oolite content compatibility.

NoSleep

Yeah, the movement seems more intuitive than in the original game. The only thing that I'd warn about is that you need to get yourself comfortably in the position you're going to remain in until you next dock. One time I was lying flat on my bed playing the game and decided to sit up, which put my ship into a roll until I tilted the screen back up to almost vertical as it had been when I was lying down. There might be a way to reset screen orientation but I haven't come across it yet; if not it might be worth suggesting that it be added.

Docking is the easiest it's ever been for me (easy enough to forgo paying for the auto-dock even when I've got the spare cash).

ASFTSN

Ha. I noticed that too - the neutral zone for the controls seems set when you start the game and each time you re-launch, as you say. I hadn't twigged and caught myself in 'Dad with a SNES' mode. Anyway I'm back in a position to play Elite Dangerous again now but will definitely keep this for next time I'm parted from it.

NoSleep

I asked about the control problem on the Alite 2020 forum and apparently you can reset it by pausing then unpausing the game during flight. It recalibrates at that point.