Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:55:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New director general threatens to axe 'Left-wing' BBC comedy

Started by Johnny Yesno, September 01, 2020, 12:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

the

New manager of garden centre promises to 'shake up the way we think about trellises'

Rizla

zomgmouse

"Not enough Nazi comedy on the BBC" says BBC Director-General

Twonty Gostelow

Softening us up for the upcoming Jim Davidson Covid-19 Telethon.

Why does the Telegraph capitalize "Left-wing"? That's what I want to know about it.

Pink Gregory

Ah yes, all of that BBC left wing comedy...all of those anti-establishment, anti-capitalist firebrands in the employ of the BBC.

BlodwynPig

The BBC comedy department - holding the minorities to account

SpiderChrist

Given that it's behind a paywall or only available to people who buy that rag, isn't this just a non-story ("senior sources" and all that) designed to get all the Humphreys and Agathas harrumphing over their morning egg?

SavageHedgehog

Yeah, I suspect this is hot air at most. Although I'm not sure I'd notice if this did happen.

BlodwynPig

I'd posit that there has never been any left-wing comedy on the BBC.

What this is is a litmus test to push the idea of unopposed government (re: fascism in all but name) across all aspects of news, media and culture in Britain. It must be opposed aggressively but carefully, despite what the posts above mine state (fair points, but be wary).

Shit Good Nose

Six series of Alexei Sayle?

The sit-com adaptation of Minotaur (cancelled after 1 series, but only because of record low viewing figures of two [me and you])?

Blumf

Thursday

People who complain about the BBC being left-wing think having gay people, black people, or young women talking about sex is left-wing. That's probably what they're talking about here.

steveh

Apparently the programmes the article goes on to name are Have I Got News For You, Mock The Week and The Mash Report...

RicoMNKN

Is there actually any truth in this?
The Telegraph was printing QAnon bollocks the other day.  Not sure I trust their sources.

Pink Gregory

Can't wait to watch sitcoms about struggling with the property portfolio and sketch shows about a bumbling but lovable hedge fund manager. 

lankyguy95

It's not really left wing comedy per se - it's topical comedy, which leans heavily against the Tories, being the party in power.

All that'll happen I imagine is they'll get a couple more pro-Brexit, anti-woke voices on and 'balance' out a tedious thing with an equally tedious thing.

Just book funny people.

Thursday

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 01, 2020, 09:37:38 AM
Can't wait to watch sitcoms about struggling with the property portfolio and sketch shows about a bumbling but lovable hedge fund manager.

A landlord struggling with his wacky ANNOYING tenants who keep pestering him to fix the central heating and get the broadband installed.

lazyhour

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 01, 2020, 09:39:20 AM
It's not really left wing comedy per se - it's topical comedy, which leans heavily against the Tories, being the party in power.

All that'll happen I imagine is they'll get a couple more pro-Brexit, anti-woke voices on and 'balance' out a tedious thing with an equally tedious thing.

Just book funny people.

Exactly, and it's toothless topical comedy. Bumbling Boris with his children and messy hair.

BBC Comedy is so left wing it helped Boris Johnson to power. Replace "Tories" with government in that Telegraph article and it becomes even more chilling.

How many people listen to those Radio 4 topical quizzes in comparison to the amount who had to watch the endless Corbyn bashing put out by the Beeb's news department day after day for years?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 01, 2020, 09:21:24 AM
Six series of Alexei Sayle?

The sit-com adaptation of Minotaur (cancelled after 1 series, but only because of record low viewing figures of two [me and you])?

Ooops. Well I was being provocative. BBC2 was never really the BBC anyway

damien

Have that pair of bellends who do the 'anti Woke' stage show ever been on HIGNFY? Doug someone and Andy something. They don't give off a BBC vibe, the shorter one looks like a medieval torturer.

SteveDave

Jonathan Pie's going to get a series isn't he? Where he pricks the bubble of the left and the right (but less so the right) and really speaks truth to power.

It'll be like the last Alan Partridge series where his "rants" are shown in the studio when news videos are being shown in the real world.

pancreas

I think if we complain about this really loudly, they might actually axe HIGNFY. Worth taking to Twitter just in case.

shh

Frankly you have to question an organisation that allowed the Mash Report to exist in the first place.
There's a world of difference between say Stewart Lee, and just shouting 'The Daily Mail!!!!' à la Harry & Paul.

Chollis

Laurence Fox is gonna get his own show isn't he. I'm already seeing far too much of the cunt

olliebean

Left wing vs right wing comedy essentially comes down to punching up vs punching down, doesn't it? The message here seems to be that punching up must be balanced by an equivalent amount of punching down.