Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

If the pandemic had happened a year earlier

Started by peanutbutter, September 02, 2020, 01:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

UK coalition government falling apart around Theresa May and people still thinking brexit could be undone
US presidential campaigns in extremely early stages, US establishment still fixated on impeachment
All the shit in Hong Kong at its peak in terms of global attention

Would anything have turned out differently? It feels like it occurred directly after the next 4-5 years had their trajectory set and as a result is gonna lead to several years of global economies trying to force a return to a normal that no one wants anymore.

idunnosomename

Yeah it would've and it sucks

On the other hand i had more work to lose last year so swings and roundabouts

The Mollusk

I would have been stuck at my old house where I was incredibly depressed and I would have ended up killing myself so that's one good thing!

Billy

Culturally you'd have Avengers: Endgame being delayed for ages, which would be a bit of a problem.

Politically Boris still replaces May, but this time the election is all about how he "stopped COVID" and how if Corbyn gets elected it'll come back and kill even more, and the landslide victory still happens which would have been equally if not more shit.

Personally I was in a job I hated so the furlough would have been welcome, but I'd have lost out on a lot of happy memories with friends which led to a strong improvement in mental health, and not ended up finding the dream job I got later that year. So yeah the year would have been ruined but in ways I wouldn't have ever known.

Icehaven

It'd have wrecked my 40th birthday plans, which if it had all happened at exactly the same dates would have been only 2 weeks into lockdown so would have been particularly crap.

ajsmith2

Quote from: icehaven on September 02, 2020, 04:33:35 PM
It'd have wrecked my 40th birthday plans, which if it had all happened at exactly the same dates would have been only 2 weeks into lockdown so would have been particularly crap.

It has wrecked my 40th birthday plans. :( It's on a Saturday too this year (this Saturday in fact) :(((((((

I suspect we'd have fared a bit better without the Johnson-Cummings double act. May would have been forced to respond to the crisis in a far more pragmatic way due to the arithmetic in parliament.

I disagree with Billy's assessment that May would have still stepped down. This crisis would have been exactly what she needed to cling on, plus I can't see any desire for a leadership contest against a backdrop of hundreds of deaths per day.

Ghostly Pale

Probably wouldn't have hubristically quit my job as a public sector live music and comedy booker to go freelance. I expected lower earnings in year 1 but deffo didn't anticipate the collapse of the industry.

Icehaven

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 02, 2020, 04:49:14 PM
It has wrecked my 40th birthday plans. :( It's on a Saturday too this year (this Saturday in fact) :(((((((

Aw balls, sorry to hear that. Just postpone and turn 40 next year, another year of life!