Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:26:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Byrne Cancelled.

Started by TheMonk, September 02, 2020, 01:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Christ, as if it wasn't enough to steal their music, he stole their faces too! This man is evil and must be stopped.

Brundle-Fly

And still not a peep from Al Jolson. Just sayin'

shagatha crustie

Tbh isn't leaving a turd for the maid or whatever he did more cancel-worthy?

Puce Moment

Trying to be sole credit on tracks he co-wrote seems far more dodgy than this.

Inspector Norse

I got a compilation once that was put out by Byrne's record label. It was called The Soul of Black Peru. It featured a track by David Byrne.

Natnar

I'm surprised no one's had a go at him for "Now I'm Your Mom" yet

QDRPHNC

I get that his response is the most expedient, but it's a bit disingenuous. The honest answer would be "it wasn't seen as a problem at the time, but now times have changed and I'm embarrassed by it."

NoSleep

Times had already changed back then.

rue the polywhirl

As well as being guilty of blackface, Byrne is also guilty of Jabba face in that photo from the BBC article. All in all a very villainous man.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: NoSleep on September 02, 2020, 07:16:29 PM

Maybe in your circle of cool dudes.

El Unicornio, mang

Probably should be Vic N Bob's turn next

idunnosomename

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 03, 2020, 01:46:41 AM
Probably should be Vic N Bob's turn next
they stopped doing blackface in the second series of Smell, which is interesting. did they realise shit geordie impressions were funnier without it? i mean it does show they really did not need it for the joke

thenoise

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 03, 2020, 02:09:05 AM
they stopped doing blackface in the second series of Smell, which is interesting. did they realise shit geordie impressions were funnier without it? i mean it does show they really did not need it for the joke

Always just assumed they couldn't be bothered with the make up.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 03, 2020, 12:33:59 AM
As well as being guilty of blackface, Byrne is also guilty of Jabba face in that photo from the BBC article. All in all a very villainous man.

Guilty of culturally appropriating rich fulcher

NoSleep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 03, 2020, 01:03:55 AM
Maybe in your circle of cool dudes.

David Byrne being that out of touch back then (post Rock Against Racism, Two-Tone and around the same time as Sun City, etc)? I'm sure he knew very well that blackface was dodgy but unwisely and edgelordly employed it "ironically".

phantom_power

Quote from: NoSleep on September 02, 2020, 07:16:29 PM

If that were the case then every other fucker wouldn't be needing to apologise.

NoSleep

You don't think Byrne didn't know that it wasn't somehow wrong? That he did it completely innocently and unironically?

The Mollusk

Byrne's last tour really illustrated that he is not the bulletproof genius that some people think he is. Whether he did this through irony or innocence, it's still a needlessly dumb idea and his tweets that try to apologise and make amends for it make him sound like an arrogant twat.

NoSleep

Ok, if we're putting this down to low intellect, then Talking heads really are a load of facile, pretentious bollocks?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: NoSleep on September 03, 2020, 10:16:56 AM
Ok, if we're putting this down to low intellect, then Talking heads really are a load of facile, pretentious bollocks?

Now that's making sense.

Crabwalk

I suspect it'll be a cold day in hell before Joni Mitchell apologises for the cover of 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' (and her frequent blacking up as the same character at social events around that time).

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: shagatha crustie on September 02, 2020, 02:03:16 PM
Tbh isn't leaving a turd for the maid or whatever he did more cancel-worthy?

That was just pranking a Karen, lol.

I hate myself, and I want to die.

El Unicornio, mang

I think it was much easier to "get away" with blackface in the 80s. Soul Man, for example (which C Thomas Howell still defends), and Fisher Stevens in Short Circuit. Neither of which would even get suggested as options today.

I seem to recall Jam Jars here still had the Golliwog caricature on them until the 2000s

El Unicornio, mang

I think they probably realised it was off. Even as a kid at the time I remember thinking it was dodgy.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 03, 2020, 11:17:08 AM
I seem to recall Jam Jars here still had the Golliwog caricature on them until the 2000s

Still available in Spain, in the year 2020.

poodlefaker

Little Elaine Benes looking good there.

Some people seem to have only recently noticed that Joni Mitchell is in blackface on the cover of Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. She's dressed up as her alter ego, a black pimp called Art Nouveau; even went to parties like it, I gather. I imagine  cocaine might be to blame, almost seems too ludicrous to be offensive, I dunno. She was mates with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter back then, I don't know what hey thought of it.

jobotic

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 03, 2020, 01:05:36 PM
Et tu, Lou Reed?

I did think that when I saw it, not being familiar with the film.

You can't even do LouReedFace now then? Whatever next?

ProvanFan

they stopped doing blackface in the second series of Smell

It happened a few times on Shooting Stars