Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,347
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Byrne Cancelled.

Started by TheMonk, September 02, 2020, 01:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batwings

idunnosomename

yeah by "it" i mean otis and marvin being blacked up. im sure they did a bunch of times in the 00s

scarecrow

David Byrne also masquerades as a Latino in the Wild Wild Life video, alongside Jerry Harrison who yellows up.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't think there's any precedent for culturally insensitive/historically degrading depictions of non-black or native American in the US, so I'm not sure it could be considered worse than having a beret and stripey top for a French character. I "latino'd" up to go as Tony Montana at a Halloween party in Florida years ago. I'm very pale so had no choice but to get a deep fake tan. There was a load of Hispanic people there who loved it. I still wouldn't do it again though. Although more because my skin was stained for about a month.

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: NoSleep on September 03, 2020, 10:16:56 AM
Ok, if we're putting this down to low intellect, then Talking heads really are a load of facile, pretentious bollocks?

Well, if we were, you'd certainly be the first person we'd call upon to resolve that question.

greenman

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 03, 2020, 02:09:05 AM
they stopped doing blackface in the second series of Smell, which is interesting. did they realise shit geordie impressions were funnier without it? i mean it does show they really did not need it for the joke

Pushing the characters more towards geordie I'd guess was the main reason although by its nature that atc does go against the idea of blackface playing up stereotypes.

Goldentony

just want to mention again my mate heard from two different people totally independently that Byrne woke them up to discover him having a shite on them after having it off ages before it, and when they went to a 'popular New York composer' to try and figure it out if it was feasable and the reply was to the effect of that guys always been a fucking weirdo

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Goldentony on September 04, 2020, 06:02:54 PM
just want to mention again my mate heard from two different people totally independently that Byrne woke them up to discover him having a shite on them after having it off ages before it, and when they went to a 'popular New York composer' to try and figure it out if it was feasable and the reply was to the effect of that guys always been a fucking weirdo

You're thinking of the Turtle Heads, singer, David Bum.

Jockice

If we're talking unironic blackface a mate of mine (not in the music business and not famous I'm afraid, although he did go out with a now famous person when they were teenagers) went to a school fancy dress party in the early 80s as Idi Amin. I've seen the photo. Different school to mine and also with more black kids than mine. Yet nobody complained and he didn't even get his head kicked in. Ironically he now works in a country with a whopping majority of a black population (only 2.7percent are whiteys) but for some reason he resists my suggestions he uses that picture for his Facebook profile.

But if we're talking popstars, according to Michael Bradley's book about The Undertones, the only concert ever held at his school was by fellow pupil Feargal Sharkey doing an Al Jolson set. It doesn't make it totally clear if he was in blackface but still the mind boggles.

Jockice

Quote from: Goldentony on September 04, 2020, 06:02:54 PM

Any particular part of the body? I should imagine someone having a shit on you isn't particularly pleasant at the best of times, but imagine if he'd aimed for the mouth.