Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Door to door salespeople during a pandemic

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 02, 2020, 01:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Had one of these this morning. Wore a face shield but no mask, I think he was at least 1m from my door. Wore a mask when I answered the door. Sometimes my medication is delivered to me so I assumed it was that.

Should have said "sorry, no" and closed the door as soon as I saw him but stupidly let him talk for a couple of minutes before I said "sorry" and closed the door. Now worried this person might be an asymptomatic transmitter. Saw him earlier this week going round the houses on the other side (with a face shield on).

Not sure if it's worth me emailing the company telling them not to send people round during a global pandemic. Angry with myself for not closing the door as soon as I saw him.

Has anyone else had door to door salespeople during the pandemic? Surely it shouldn't be allowed until we have a vaccine.

Dex Sawash

Had a man selling doors just last week. "Thanks but mine's fine"
*slam*

steveh

Yesterday had the first one since, well probably this year, from yet another company doing the we'll deliver ingredients and a recipe for you to cook for yourself thing. People must have been trying to make a go of that idea since at least the dotcom era and nobody ever succeeds but they keep getting funded.

Fambo Number Mive

Does anyone ever sign up to anything at the door, even outside of a pandemic? Charities perhaps. It's like junk mail, which wastes trees and takes up space in people's recycle bins (more and more, it seems to be printed on glossy paper which I'm not sure if it can be recycled) while delivering little return on investment.

If Forensic Hedgehog promised to ban door to door salespeople and junk mail he might be accused of being anti business but I reckon he'd get a lot more votes, if of course he really wants to win the next election.

Hand Solo

The Elephant Man actually once worked as a door-to-door salesman selling cleaning products.

I suppose he was acutely aware of social-distancing long before anyone else.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 02, 2020, 02:24:56 PM
Does anyone ever sign up to anything at the door, even outside of a pandemic?

Vulnerable people who feel intimidated or are frightened by their bullshit. It really is a profession for the cuntiest of cunts.

thenoise

My parents' neighbours actually became Jehovahs Witnesses after being converted by one of those knock on your door cunts. Bet that fucking encouraged them.

Jockice

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 02, 2020, 02:02:02 PM
Had a man selling doors just last week. "Thanks but mine's fine"
*slam*

True story. An acquaintance of mine was made redundant from his job in London a few years ago. The only alternative work he could find for ages was as a door-to-door door salesman. So these people really did exist.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cancer charity flashmobs are a thing in areas with shared houses. 15 or so emerge from a van and are given an hour or something to clear an entire neighbourhood.

If you open the door and say no thanks, they will guess that other people live there and refuse to leave unless they've had the opportunity to speak to the rest of the household.

Then of course you say 'fuck off or ill call the police', and they leave.

Naturally they're really pushy, so I simply say I don't sign up to anything anyone who approaches me on the street, cold calls or knocks on my door is offering, without exception. Remarkably I have still have people trying to continue the conversation after that.

Shit Good Nose

We used to get them quite a lot - mainly double glazing and garden work, with the occasional JW - but we've not had any at all for a couple of years.  The last one we had I actually did "employ" - we needed our roof gulley re-doing, part of the lead flashing at the base of our chimney replacing and the flashband tape replacing on our front porch, but I haven't got a long enough ladder and I couldn't find anyone who would do it without scaffolding (so something that was going to cost about £150 would've cost close to a grand with scaffolding).  Anyway, one day this little Irish kid in his 20s comes down our road in a big pickup and goes around offering his services as a general handyman and gardener, so I said to him what I wanted doing and he eyed it up and said he'd do it without scaffolding.  He turned up the following week as promised and on time, whipped up there and got to it and had it all done within a couple of hours.  He even came back a couple of days later to do the gulley again as it absolutely shit down hard for several hours not long after he left the first time, washing away most of the concrete before it had a chance to set sufficiently, and he did that at no extra cost.  In the end it was £225, which I think was a bit over the odds for the actual work done (his original estimate was £175, which was in line with other quotes for the work [excluding scaffolding]), but I still made a big saving on the scaffolding so I didn't argue it.

shiftwork2

The usual 'please fuck off' social cues are roundly ignored by the chazzas and religious weirds who descend on my street.  In the middle of cooking, running a bath, on the phone...apparently nothing should get in the way of the doorstep spiel.  It takes some disrespect of other people's time and personal space to knock on the door and absolutely demand attention.  I just shut the door on them.

Alberon

Religious nuts think they're saving your souls so nothing is going to dissuade them.

El Unicornio, mang

My Mum had one the other week.
"I'm an ex-offender but don't be scared. I've got these things for sale" *shows her a load of tat*
"I'm not interested, sorry"
"Come on, just buy something"
"I don't have cash"
"I take cards"
"Look I just don't want any of it"
"But you live in this big posh house (it's not a big posh house, just an average semi-detached), I live in a dingy little flat in Middlesborough" (violins)
"Look, I'm a widow and don't have much money" (true, she gets a meagre pension and that's it)
"Well maybe you should get yourself a new boyfriend"

this carried on for a bit until the insufferable twat got the message and moved on. But yeah, she's also at higher covid risk since she has asthma and emphysema, so not great having random strangers getting up in her face.

timebug

Not had a door to door salesman for years, until last week; an elderly bloke, no mask, no visor, trying to sell a boxed set of those porcelain knives. They were actually a good brand which I have seen in shops, but I declined anyway. He was about a metre away from me at my front door, and as I said, maskless, so I didn' fancy a lengthy chat with him.