Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck it, anime thread

Started by The Mollusk, September 02, 2020, 07:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Doesn't sound like it's particularly rated, but Back Street Girls on Netflix, about a bunch of hardboiled Yakuza who are forced at gunpoint to undergo sex change surgery in Thailand so's they can make their mob boss a load of money as an idol group, amused me at least.

Consignia

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM
Doesn't sound like it's particularly rated, but Back Street Girls on Netflix, about a bunch of hardboiled Yakuza who are forced at gunpoint to undergo sex change surgery in Thailand so's they can make their mob boss a load of money as an idol group, amused me at least.

I really liked Back Street Girls, but the animation was non-existant. And you really can't deny how problematic is sex change stuff is.

But yeah loved the series, especially the mental Yakuza boss.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Consignia on September 07, 2020, 06:30:06 PM
I really liked Back Street Girls, but the animation was non-existant. And you really can't deny how problematic is sex change stuff is.

But yeah loved the series, especially the mental Yakuza boss.

It does seem a bit retrogressive, but I think it's largely about highlighting what a thankless slog all these star-making industries are, mostly just so middle-aged creeps can get their leer on. Most K-Pop stars don't even get paid until their contract's up and their fleeting career's over.

Japan's such a weird, isolated ethnostate that a lot of basic shit, like how something like this might be construed as offensive, doesn't even occur to them.

I get the vibe all the still frames were a result of no one wanting to throw much money at that kind of premise. The characters and script are all pretty animated at least.

Mister Six

I was going to be a totally basic bitch and mention Cowboy Bebop but then someone else did, so I'll bring up the only other anime series I've seen, which is Excel Saga, a totally daffy, irreverent pisstake of absolutely everything (including itself) that's somewhere between a sketch show and a parody of major anime tropes. A recurring gag is the author of the (possibly nonexistent, I never bothered to check) manga interrupting events to complain that the TV adaptation that you're watching has absolutely ruined his artistic vision. Great theme tune too.

A while back someone posted an intro from an anime that was mostly monochromatic, with binatone dots as textures, showing people riding around on a scooter or something. Vaguely linked to Cowboy Bebop through its production crew or something? Does anyone know what I'm on about?

letsgobrian

Quote from: Mister Six on September 07, 2020, 11:10:19 PM
I was going to be a totally basic bitch and mention Cowboy Bebop but then someone else did, so I'll bring up the only other anime series I've seen, which is Excel Saga, a totally daffy, irreverent pisstake of absolutely everything (including itself) that's somewhere between a sketch show and a parody of major anime tropes. A recurring gag is the author of the (possibly nonexistent, I never bothered to check) manga interrupting events to complain that the TV adaptation that you're watching has absolutely ruined his artistic vision. Great theme tune too.

A while back someone posted an intro from an anime that was mostly monochromatic, with binatone dots as textures, showing people riding around on a scooter or something. Vaguely linked to Cowboy Bebop through its production crew or something? Does anyone know what I'm on about?

No. My best guesses are.

Binatone dots + Cowboy Bebop = Space Dandy, the sorta sequel to the earlier show. But very much not monochrome, and QT is a scrubot not a moped.

Monochrome + motorcycle + Bebop movie opening animator Tetsuya Nishio = GTO.

samadriel

Scooter makes me think FLCL, although it isn't connected to Bebop. Quite stylish though.

I adore Excel Saga, it's hilarious (and, although I haven't read it, the manga is real, Six). Only one season, too, so it's not too life-consuming to get into.

I have a Swedish friend who named her son Gutsu, after Guts from Berserk. I think she might be a fan.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Mister Six on September 07, 2020, 11:10:19 PM

Might have been Michiko to Hatchin

The Mollusk

About halfway through Ping Pong: The Animation now. It's exhilarating, it moves at such a beautiful pace and every shot feels completely necessary. The loose and jagged animation style is like a sharp, minty breath of fresh air to what I'm used to from the few anime I've seen. In a subconscious way, it reminds me a lot of Tekkonkinkreet and the brilliant short film Cat Soup, so I was not surprised to see Yuasa's name on the latter, or to discover that Taiyō Matsumoto created both the Tekkonkinkreet and Ping Pong mangas.

The Mollusk

Shamelessly bumping the thread again to say I just finished watching the above. I think it's probably the best "new" (to me) thing I've watched since Twin Peaks: The Return back in fuckin' April or whatever. Stunning animation which is stark and simplistic but can be exhilarating during the intense ping pong matches. The emotion between the characters, all of whom are rich in personality, and the coming of age story conveyed through its 11 episodes is powerful and moving. I could feel myself welling up a few times and I really let rip during the final episode, I was so overwhelmed by it. The sport itself is riveting enough but it's really not about that. It's a story about teenagers struggling to find their identities together in a fiercely competitive environment. This show an incredible achievement, I loved it to bits.

Mister Six

Wow, Ping Pong looks great!

Just remembered I have seen another anime show - Paranoia Agent by much-missed filmic genius Satoshi Kon (his films - Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress - are also fantastic). It's mostly an anthology show following various characters (some of whom cross over into other stories) that begins with a highly stressed out graphic designer being attacked by a boy on rollerblades with a golden baseball bat. But it's unclear whether her attacker actually existed or whether he was a hallucination created by her high anxiety. Then more people begin to be attacked - but is it just a case of mass hysteria, a lone wolf, a gang of youths or something supernatural?

It's a bit like Twin Peaks in that it starts off grounded with hints of weirdness before pulling a triple back flip into the deep end as it goes along.

Good video on Satoshi Kon's masterful use of editing here: https://youtu.be/oz49vQwSoTE

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on September 08, 2020, 06:45:18 PM
Might have been Michiko to Hatchin

This is the one! Ta!

Consignia

Yeah loved Ping Pong. I saw the live action film years ago, and it was alright. Very much a live action version of an anime. So I gave the anime a miss for a couple of years, but it was such a treat when I got to it. Probably worth a watch of the film to contrast, although it's exactly the same story with very changed beats and obviously not as good.

The Mollusk

Thanks for reminding me about Paranoia Agent, I had totally forgotten I started watching that a little while back.

Consignia

There's an episode banned in the UK of Paranoia Agent banned in the UK. I won't spoil which one, because it's kind of good series to come without knowing what each episode is going to bring and if you aren't at it yet that would be bad.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Consignia on September 15, 2020, 11:33:46 AM
There's an episode banned in the UK of Paranoia Agent banned in the UK. I won't spoil which one, because it's kind of good series to come without knowing what each episode is going to bring and if you aren't at it yet that would be bad.

1m 20s edited out to get a BBFC cert rather than banned outright, but it's annoying, as that's easily the best episode in the series. Though a recent re-watch raised the episode that follows it in my estimations too.

Consignia

Sorry, it's been a while. I usually google something before I state a fact, but I was stupidly so sure of it.

Yeah, easily the best episode and the bit that's cut is very important to the episode.

Spiteface

Currently underway on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable.

2 things:

1) Jotaro's white outfit in this makes his hat/hair combo look even weirder and you still can't quite tell what's going on there.

2) Crunchyroll's censorship of Stand names is hilarious:

You can hear the name of the stand is Surface. The anime flashes the name on the screen, yet apparently it's called "Show Off"

letsgobrian

Quote from: Spiteface on September 16, 2020, 03:06:54 PM

1) Jotaro's white outfit in this makes his hat/hair combo look even weirder and you still can't quite tell what's going on there.

The hat/hair situation has a precedent in Otoko Ippiki Gaki-Daishō ("The Ideal Boy's Gang Leader"), which ran in Shonen Jump when Araki was 8 years old. I don't know if that's what he was directly referencing, but the time line matches for it to be an influence.

Mister Six

Quote from: Spiteface on September 16, 2020, 03:06:54 PM
Currently underway on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable.

2 things:

2) Crunchyroll's censorship of Stand names is hilarious:

You can hear the name of the stand is Surface. The anime flashes the name on the screen, yet apparently it's called "Show Off"

How is that censorship? Why is "Surface" rude?

Spiteface

A lot of stands and even some character names are references to bands and songs. Even going back to the first season, there's a character called Robert E.O. Speedwagon (this one actually remained intact).

I think someone somewhere was worried one of these bands might sue or something.

Consignia

It's not an insignificant worry. A game recently had to be renamed because Monster energy drinks filed a trademark complaint about since it had the name "Monster" in it. Whilst it'd probably not be a problem, the mere worry of the localisation of a niche product have to deal with any legal matters is beyond it's tight margins. There was a series set in a restaurant a while back called "Working" but it's not called that in Western releases, because of a US Sitcom of the same name, which would very unlikely cause any sort of issue, but here we are. Sometimes these changes are also at the behest of the original Japanese production teams, especially if they have a brand to promote, such as a card game.

It's not really censorship of course, you can still see and hear the original version as broadcast in Nippon, but the on screen subtitles have been adapted. Unless you wanted to watch Interspecies Reviewers, in which case you are out of luck, you naughty person.

Mister Six

Hm, I doubt it would be an issue if it's just a character in the show, but I guess they're being extra careful. I guess the argument is that the translation belongs to Crunchyroll whereas they're not liable for the anime, so as long as their translation comes up with some other bullshit it's all fine.

letsgobrian

It seems that it is specifically the characters and attacks named after things they are wary of, Part 3 name checks Weird Al in reference to Weird Al himself and that's left as Weird Al in the translation.

Of course, Part 3 also has the brothers Oingo & Boingo renamed as Zenyatta & Mondatta, so goodness knows what their logic was back then. Maybe Sting is less litigious than Danny Elfman?

By Part 5, the name changes have become quite unimaginative (Zipperman, Lil Bomber, Six Bullets etc). Hopefully when we eventually get a Part 7 adaptation, they keep "Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price" from the video game translations.

The Mollusk

As part of what is now a steadily growing obsession with Masaaki Yuasa, I watched Night is Short, Walk on Girl last night. Good grief, what a truly captivating and tremendous film this is. A simplistic coming-of-age romantic comedy filtered through the lens of a drunken cosmic dreamland, and an absurdist poetic love letter to the giddying magic of Kyoto nightlife.

Yuasa's directorial style is impeccable, not just in how stunning and vibrant every shot is, but how everything is paced so perfectly that not a single second of the runtime is wasted. As with Ping Pong, I found that every character crackled and popped with personality, and despite my dismal attention span, this 90 minute rollercoaster ride was not in any way overwhelming since the plot is delivered clearly and the whole thing flows together magnificently.

Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to name many animated features that are on a par with how this made me feel. If I had to take a wild grab, I'd say The Lego Movie, Paprika and Spirited Away are all in the same league, since although all three of these have noticeably more imagination poured into every nook and cranny, I found Night is Short, Walk on Girl to be every bit as enthralling and intoxicating. I think I was grinning throughout the entire thing, it's fucking beautiful.

I'm quite emotionally exhausted today but I need to get around to Tatami Galaxy very soon, since I know the characters and overall style are very similar though the plots are unrelated.I have just started watching Devilman Crybaby too. The nightclub bloodbath in the first episode was fantastic I was less than gripped by the rest of it. Gonna see where the next couple episodes go. Anyone else have any thoughts? I know Yuasa's work often greatly splits opinion and this show seems to have been no exception.

Consignia

Glad you liked Night is Short, Walk on Girl. It's a nice companion to Tatami Galaxy, so worth watching that. By the same novel author but different director/studio is The Eccentric Family or Uchouten Kazoku. It gives a different look at Kyoto from the perspective of a family of Tanuki looking into the weird world of yokai.

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 17, 2020, 04:23:14 PM
I'm quite emotionally exhausted today but I need to get around to Tatami Galaxy very soon, since I know the characters and overall style are very similar though the plots are unrelated.I have just started watching Devilman Crybaby too. The nightclub bloodbath in the first episode was fantastic I was less than gripped by the rest of it. Gonna see where the next couple episodes go. Anyone else have any thoughts? I know Yuasa's work often greatly splits opinion and this show seems to have been no exception.

I liked Devilman Crybaby, but it's somewhat of a mess narratively. The plot seems to shift gears frequently. I found ending a bit too grim really, but it's par for the course for the manga it's based on. Looks the business though, as you'd expect.

If want a confused adaptation of a Go Nagai manga, look no further than Cutie Honey Universe. The tone is all over the shop. is it serious, is it a comedy? It certainly doesn't know. A hot mess, but one that has stuck with me.

Sin Agog

Didn't finish Devilman.  Must admit, I didn't clock it as a Yuasa thing until after I'd watched it.  Way too nihilistic for my tastes.  I guess it was interesting the way they actually gave the main female lead some character before they sliced and diced her, but I wasn't on board for that.  Might be considered a throwback to some dingier '80s/early '90s anime.

Night is Short is lovely.  You've really gotta watch Mind Game though, man- one of the best films ever.  There's no way you won't be buzzing like an old computer with a claggy fan afterwards.

By the way, caught the heist series Great Pretender on Netflix a couple of weeks ago, and it's got a hint of Yuasa about its style.  A lot of deus ex machinae, as every one of these twisty things seem to (taken the piss out of well in that Rik & Morty ep), but it's a fun watch which expands on its characters really well.  Props on getting the rights to Freddie Mercury's version of the Platters' song.

The Mollusk

Yeah, watched the second episode of Devilman and concluded that it's crap. It looks fantastic, as expected, but as you guys have touched upon it's just fucking dumb and brutish and it feels messy. The amount of exposition in these first two episodes is splattered all over the shop and as a result I don't give a shit about any of the characters. It's boring, not arsed.

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I'll probably watch Mind Game tonight.

Small Man Big Horse

Continuing the love for Masaaki Yuasa:

Ride Your Wave (2019) - For the first half hour this looks to be a very straight romcom as fireman Minato and student Hinako fall for each other, and I was quite surprised given the craziness of Masaaki Yuasa's Mind Game and Night Is Short, Walk On Girl.
Spoiler alert
But though it's by no means fantastical or delightfully insane like those other two films a curveball is thrown when Minato dies, and I was very pleased as I'm fresh out of a relationship and despise happiness. It's not only that though, as after a brief segment where it's drenched in grief, Hinako starts hallucinating and thinks she sees her now dead boyfriend in water and it becomes far more fun. It's still fairly sane compared to those two other Yuasa films I mentioned,
[close]
but it is another film of his that I liked an awful lot, and it has a very sweet and warm centre to it. 7.7/10

Small Man Big Horse

And once more:

Lu Over The Wall (2017) - Another movie by Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Ride Your Wave and Night Is Short, Walk On Girl), it sees surly student Kai struggle with small town life as his mum fucked off ages ago, but once he joins a band and
Spoiler alert
meets a mermaid everything changes. Said Mermaid, the Lu of the title, is an innocent, sweet young creature with a passion for music, but that gets her in trouble when the rest of the town learns about her existence. Features woof-maids, dancing dead fish, Lu's very odd papa, a couple of really fun songs
[close]
and some stunning animation, and is a gorgeously upbeat slice of loveliness,
Spoiler alert
one bit when some humans turn out to be cunts is briefly distressing but thankfully doesn't last too long, and the rest of it
[close]
is just fantastic and then some. 8.5/10

Small Man Big Horse

Summer Wars (2009) - A quite unusual mixture of family comedy drama and the dangers of artificial intelligence / a centralised internet (or a site which connects everyone and everything at the very least) revolves around a family gathering together to celebrate their grandmother's ninetieth birthday,
Spoiler alert
only for one of them to be responsible for an AI which is causing extreme amounts of chaos, and rather conveniently another might just be the only one who can stop it
[close]
. Some of it's a little patronising and some of it's charming and engaging, so it's an odd old thing, and the first half is a bit slow, but the second is much much more fun, the (sort of) VR scenes are really cool, and I liked it a lot overall. 7.6/10

Spiteface

Quote from: Consignia on September 17, 2020, 04:32:51 PM

If want a confused adaptation of a Go Nagai manga, look no further than Cutie Honey Universe. The tone is all over the shop. is it serious, is it a comedy? It certainly doesn't know. A hot mess, but one that has stuck with me.

To this day, the only version of Cutie Honey I've seen is the live action TV series "Cutie Honey The Live" simply because it has a bunch of Tokusatsu alumni in it.

https://youtu.be/IxfKSAttg-o

Partly to hear Mark Musashi yelling "SHIIIT!!!" - I will admit that.